Neoboard post blocked by filter

eyrielectricblumaroo

I'm trying to post something and it's getting blocked by the automatic filter. Could someone please identify the offending phrase for me so I can edit it? Thanks.

Message: "Stunning works quite well late in NQ1 if you invest a lot of points in shock magic. I'd recommend getting the weapon for the skill tree in which you have the most skill points."

The word 'skill' is what is being blocked by Neopets filters because it has the word 'kill' in it. I've tried to post that word so many times forgetting it's blocked, haha.

Yeah I was going to say the same thing.

You might have to use 'SP' instead if the other person is up on their acronyms for such things.

Or you could use 'ability' I guess. lol

Yeah sadly, TNT has blocked quite a few words that not only do they use around the site but also words people use in a day to day conversation and they're just all like "Nope!"

They really need to fix these filters. They drive me insane! ESPECIALLY when you type of a 300 character message, and get it filtered so you have to pick apart your comment trying to find out what's not allowed. It's absurd. The least they can do is tell you what word isn't allowed.

I think I'll write into the next editorial and explain this. See if maybe they can add it to their list of things to look into.

Yeah sadly, TNT has blocked quite a few words that not only do they use around the site but also words people use in a day to day conversation and they're just all like "Nope!"

They really need to fix these filters. They drive me insane! ESPECIALLY when you type of a 300 character message, and get it filtered so you have to pick apart your comment trying to find out what's not allowed. It's absurd. The least they can do is tell you what word isn't allowed.

I think I'll write into the next editorial and explain this. See if maybe they can add it to their list of things to look into.

The word "skill" and plenty of others were blocked prior to the site merge, so I doubt they'll change that.

However, what they do need to fix is the filters for petpages. Trying to add image URLs and names of items for our wishlists and having them blocked is annoying.

A feedback ticket would probably be better then the editorial, though you could do both if you wanted.

I'm not entirely sure what the site merge has to do with changing filters? I'm sure changing a list of words is a small thing to do.

Either way, I have written into the next editorial. II will also go ahead and do a feedback ticket. So, we shall see what happens.

"Hello you fabulous, Neo Lords.

So, I'm really active on the boards, in fact that's where I spend a majority of my time. However, there has been something bothering me for ages, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. There are filters. These filters are old, and some unnecessary. These filters block perfectly fine words, words that people use in a day to day conversation or words you yourselves use in various places around the site. (Example. LORD Kass- yet we're not allowed to talk religion. I understand there are other forms of the word, but it can be taken out of context.)
It's annoying to have to pick apart my 300 character post to try and find what word isn't allowed. If you won't update the list of filtered words, could you please perhaps look into a script which will tell the user which word isn't allowed.
For the sake of Neopia, and all that is good PLEASE FIX THIS!
Many thanks have some cupcakes. If this is to much to ask for, I'll take those cupcakes back. "

I've gotten to the point where I search for some common offenders: "kill," "anal," "accumul," and "rape" seem to be my most common triggers.

Recently, I found out "infection" is blocked even though "infected" apparently is not (or maybe the person who used that got around it by inserting a space). And I recently got hung up by "basement." TNT has made me start trying to look for dirty words inside of regular words, and that is not a habit I'd like to get into. They could fix the filters by creating a white list of valid words (basically, a short list of valid exceptions to the blacklisted words). They already have this for petpages (or did...), because they would sometimes add various image links and item names to it, though it's one of the important maintenance things they dropped.

And they really, really need to fix the petpage filters! I can't update my gallery thanks and wish list pages. Those filters broke during the merge, because they were working just fine beforehand. At least those ones tell you the offending word, but in my case it's "seaweed," which is kind of used a lot in a beach-themed gallery (used in both item names and image URLs). And one of my pets' names is "Anala" (she was an adoptee), so I had to remove all references to her name in the default petpage, and I can't talk about her on the Neoboards.

I understand having filters, and I understand that making too many exceptions allows people to get creative and dodge the filters, but a whitelist would help avoid some of those issues, and someone who tried to use a whitelisted word in place of a blacklisted word could still be reported, silenced, and/or frozen.

Another way I've seen people get around the filters is to add a period into the word like 'sk.ill' so that it seperates the bad part of the word and goes past the filters. Then you can still use the same word you intended to use.