Chefs and Bakers...can I get some advice?

Naamah D.

Now that I have my own money I want to start cooking and baking for my family on their birthdays. I know how to cook a little. Its baking that I dislike. I found a recipe for black velvet cake with licorice on the top and am so scared that I will add too much food coloring. My younger sibling won't eat anything I cook. Should I ask my family what recipes they like best instead of using my favorites? I

Well, it depends of the food coloring. If it's the liquid, it's almost impossible to put too much. Just add 1-3 drops at the time and stir. If your coloring is more like paste (see this), then I use a toothpick or the tip of a knife to add a little bit of it to my frosting before I stir it.

As far as trying new recipes go, I'd say that you should pay attention to reviews if you are taking it from online. Often people will have tried it before you and give their own advices or list changes that they made.

If you are cooking or baking using a cookbook, it's useful to note in the margin when you liked a recipe.

You're in for a truly enjoyable lifestyle if you learn how to bake and like it :)

I've always considered baking to be funniest when you bake for people and not yourself so, if I were you, I'd ask my family what they like before making anything. Then later on you can alter with things you like yourself. It is usually by trying out new stuff people find new favourites :)

Cakes are a bit of a different kind of baking. I wouldn't suggest anyone to start off by making cakes. Go for the simple things, play around with flavours, learn the science and so on. Of course these are all my opinions, you should always go your own way :)

Good luck!

I agree with Xepha and Richard. The best way you can get better is to practice, practice, practice! Start out with easy recipes, and work your way up. Cakes can be very complicated, and any good chef will tell you that proper measurements are a must when baking. The first thing to ensure a good bake is to have the proper equipment. The basics in every baker's pantry should be the following (and anyone feel free to add more if I leave anything out): baking pans/cookie sheets and small variety sized baking pans. Try a square or a rectangle, or cupcake tins and bread loaf tins. All can be found at an affordable price at your local dollar store. Next, you need a good spatula and whisk, as well as a good frosting knife. You can worry about food coloring, pastry bags and tips later. You also should know that when baking, measuring cups and measuring spoons are your best friend! Get parchment paper and non-stick cooking spray to work with if you can.

In your pantry, flour is a must. A good sifter is also a must. Have some sugar on hand, regular and powdered. Have some pure extracts on hand. The one you will probably use the most is vanilla. Make sure it's the good stuff. The imitation kind can be tasted, and it's not good. Baking soda, baking powder, unsweetened cocoa, and a pinch of salt are also must haves. Sometimes you may need vegetable oil to put in a cake too.

In the fridge, butter, sometimes milk, and eggs are a must. If you have most of these things, then you can make a bunch of little things. Try simple cookie recipes or simple brownies to start off with. Try a good cornbread recipe! Take a look at the reviews of a recipe before using it. Also be sure to watch your oven. A timer is a great help. Start a log of what recipes you use, how you serve it, and what your family thought of it. Take a moment to talk with your family about the pros and cons of what you made. Ask for suggestions of improvement. That's the only real way you learn... by getting your hands dirty.

Don't be afraid to make things other than cakes and cookies. You can bake fruit, you can bake veggies, you can even bake meat. There's lots of room for practice!

Now, I absolutely hate the term criticism, and think there's nothing positive about it, but be open to new ideas and new ways to make something better. The best thing you can have as a baker (other than proper equipment) is self-confidence.

A scared baker makes scary things. Baking can be very intimidating, but as you get better, you'll eventually realize it's a breeze. So remember to keep your head up, have a bit of faith, and get cooking!

As a service though, be sure to clean up after yourself, as every baker knows... it's not baking if you don't sometimes make a mess! :D

You're so much better off using gel food colourings instead of liquid ones. They won't make your batter too wet, nor do they taste chemically, especially for something like black/red velvet where you'd need to add 2+ tablespoons. And like Wolfponies said, don't start with cakes. They're temperamental. Instead, try a simple sugar cookie recipe and go from there. I recommend snickerdoodles as they're my favourite cookie and only use 4/5 ingredients.

Another tip: make sure your ingredients are at room temperature before doing anything. Butter, milk, eggs, anything that's kept in the fridge. If you forget to take them out ahead of time (I know I do), butter and milk can be warmed up in the microwave while eggs should be placed in a glass of warm water.

And it doesn't hurt to ask your family what they like. Maybe you'll find your specialty that way. I discovered my specialty is cheesecakes when my brother asked for one for his birthday, so who knows.

But baking is so much fun PLUS you get to eat tasty homemade things, so I hope you stick with it!

Definitely ask your family what they like first, and when you first set out to bake for someone's birthday with a new recipe buy enough ingredients to bake two. Whenever I start off with a new recipe I always bake a miniature version first, so if I was baking a 9inch round I would make a small batch of cupcakes or a 6inch round. That way I can taste and test the recipe first and make alterations. If you decide baking is for you I highly recommend you invest in a spring-form pan!

The black velvet cake sounds delicious but it also seems like a specialty cake that may not be for everyone. I always ask someone what they want and go for there. I usually find great new recipes that way! I asked my sister what kind of cake or treat she wanted for her baby shower and she said either cheesecake or strawberry cake. So I made her a three layer cake. Strawberry cake on the bottom, cheese cake in the middle and strawberry cake on top, with a homemade blueberry puree between each layer and whipped blueberry icing. So by asking I came up with an awesome recipe by combining some of my tried true favorites and a whole lot of experimenting.

My husband and kids love it when I try new recipes because they get to eat treats every day until I perfect them. Good luck and I hope you love baking as much as I do!

I would definitely recommend asking your family members what they like. Especially if it's for their birthday, since it's their day it should be their choice. If you were making pie/cake/cookies, etc., for something like a family reunion, Christmas dinner, any event that isn't about one specific person, then I would use one of your favourite recipes.

I tend to be the one to bake dessert for family events and when it's just a general dinner I will make whatever I want. I use such opportunities to test out new recipes (all my family know by now they're my guinea pigs). However, if it's a birthday or anniversary then I'll ask that person if there's any particular flavour/style they'd like. So if they say chocolate or raspberry, or like a cheesecake or bundt cake, then I'll make sure whatever I bake meets their request, but there's still a lot of opportunity for me to try something new.

When I picked up baking I was in Sophomore year and had my own kitchen for the first time...so I'd just make random things and bring them to class. Cookies and brownies and muffins have a way of disappearing when you're around undergrads, so if you're in college that's always a good way to practice.

you can never go wrong with cupcakes. :) it may seem like extra work to frost each one, but i find it more annoying to frost an entire cake, especially if it's layered. cookies make it easy to bring two different types in case you want variety or need to accommodate someone who has different dietary needs as the rest of the party, like a vegan or someone with a nut allergy. if i'm bringing a dessert to a party, i always make sure to make at least one thing that's nut-free.

Yeah, definitely consider allergies! There's nut, dairy (ie chocolate chips), and gluten - but of the three, nut is the most severe. So if you're making things from a mix make note of any nuts in the ingredients. Sometimes people with these allergies are good about asking but usually they'll just act like they don't want any until you go "they're nut-free!"

My best friend is lactose intolerant (severely so) and has Celiac disease, so I always make at least one batch of something she can safely eat.