"Official Warning" :(

Shelley

So I've had this user lookup since I want to say december? A kind user coded it for me using my art after a failed attempt of me making my own lookup. Just now I got an official warning for it :(

"You have received an official warning from the Neopets Team for violating the Neopets Terms and Conditions. Please make sure all of your stats and navigation tools are visible in your lookup. We ask that all users keep them open for all visitors to see. And please do not include potentially seizure-inducing images.

If you continue to break the rules, your account will be permanently frozen."

If any of you had visited my lookup you know it had tabs to click on to display things like trophies and collections- all the different stat boxes. I guess I learned my lesson. As for the seizure inducing images, I have no idea where in the world that would apply o.O

This is my second warning. The first was a few months back when I was chatting someone on the guild boards about my guild and said we had a "customization contest". I MEANT to say "activity" so it was a bad mistake on my part. I never said anything about prizes (in fact we really don't give them) but just the word "contest" was enough and I understand- it's not happened again.

I know I was in the wrong, but who doesn't get bummed out when they get a warning? :/

Since this is my second warning I'm scared that these could be stacking up. I would hate to get frozen :X

I didn't know those tab-things weren't allowed... I mean, I can see why they could consider it hiding information, but since we see so many people doing it, I figured it was okay. As for the seizure thing, did you have any animated GIFs on your lookup, by any chance? Maybe if one of them was too fast (or too bright/colourful, even), someone could see it as potentially seizure-enducing. (That's the only thing I can think of).

Did you have some kind of navigation bar for people to click out of your lookup, like to news, explore, shops, games, etc? I had a userlookup where it slipped my mind to keep in those links. A friend pointed it out to me before it got pointed out to TNT, but those are required to be shown so people can click out of your userlookup page. As for the tabbed userlookups, I haven't seen those so around recently, so I don't know.

TNT, receiving an official warning is more seizure inducing than anything.

Sorry about that! I wasn't aware that the tab thing was a problem. o: I could never code those anyway so I would have never thought of it.

No worries, I get bummed with warnings too. ouo;; I've only gotten one for something I didn't think was a problem either-- or I guess I didn't consider what I was talking about to be in the category that they put it in. I guess we have to be careful??

That's why I tend to avoid using super fancy userlookups x_x You never know what sets TNT off. Sometimes they just see missing information and go "Whoop, you just broke a rule!" without actually going through the entire thing. Some pre-made makers are also misinformed in what can and cannot be removed/hidden from your lookup, so that's something to be wary about as well.

Not sure what a seizure-inducing image is, apart from like, flashing GIFs (did you have those?)

TNT can be very unreasonable at times, and getting a warning can be daunting and you feel like you're walking on eggshells until it dies down. Maybe just stick to more conventional lookups for a while? I doubt TNT will actually freeze you over it, but best to stay on their good side for a bit :)

Aww Shelley! Don't be too upset. I think you'll be fine too. I got a warning only once and silenced for 24 hours. It nearly drove me crazy. If I got frozen for something small and trivial, I'd not only quit Neo forever, I'd probably flip a few tables. I'm sorry that happened to you. :(

You have my sympathies. I had an official warning from NeoPets a few years ago when I was defending myself from some really nasty people on the BD boards. They never got the warning. Only I did. I thought it horribly unfair and complained. That's when I found out that NeoPets doesn't actually care about fairness. They will go after whoever is the weakest target, which is often the victim. Sad, but true. I've considered leaving NeoPets many times over the years because of it, but discovered that as long as you stay as far from the boards as possible, you can pretty much sail through without incident. I have a very plain lookup, nothing designed by anyone excpet what you can do through NeoPets themselves. It's like this: if you stick to plain vanilla, the decadent mint chocolate swirl with rainbow sprinkles won't get you into trouble. Not fair, but like I said, they don't care about fairness.

Best advice: change your page to something vanilla and be free from worry.

Best wishes!

Send them a ticket and tell them to remove your warning from the logs because you did nothing wrong. This is simply staff members creating their own rules again and again.

Now they say you violated the Terms and Conditions but if you head to http://www.neopets.com/terms.phtml you'll see that there's nothing in there about user lookups.

I had to go to an editorial from Y11 to read about this "rule" from a staff member:

I've noticed lately that many users have been altering their hobbies to a more personalized version. I was wondering: is this okay? I've also wondered if there was a single place where most of the User Lookup rules were compiled, and if not, could such a place be arranged? :D Thanks and keep up the great work!
This is fine, as long as the listed hobbies are appropriate. The User Lookup rules are actually pretty simple. Don't write anything inappropriate, put up music with bad lyrics, or post your pic, and make sure all the info is visible.

Where can I find these User Lookup rules?

And here comes the hilarious thing. The 372nd winner of the User Lookup Spotlight is this user: http://www.neopets.com/userlookup.phtml?place=372

Now wait a second, I have to click on some tangram pieces to display different account information, isn't that against the "rules"? Apparently not since this user got a shiny trophy to their collection.

To sum up, TNT is a complete joke containing people who don't know the site rules themselves yet don't mind warning people based on these rules.

I'm sorry Shelley, your lookup was one of my favourites.

I had not a single animated thing on my lookup. ANYWHERE. not a single gif. The colors were also very subtle. The background was a drawing I did that was a play on "the girl with a pearl earring" except it was an aisha with a pearl earring...in the exact pose of the painting and everything. I think the whole "seizure" bit was just a part of the standard "your UL is against our rules" warning mail.

as for the tabs for the links outside the lookup I had everything. The standard "explore", "community", "shops", ect.

I can't believe these userlookups were in the spotlight with the tabs like I had. You could easily see any of my stats and any information you wanted. It was kind of like this lookup...http://www.neopets.com/userlookup.phtml?place=458 ...except with mine you actually had to click on the words "trophies", "neopets", ect. instead of just hover.

arggggg this just really ticks me off -_- but I'll grin and bear it. Stick with some common layout I guess. Thanks guys for making me feel better :)