Amazing experiences

Wildbreeze

Just now, I heard a thump on our glass door. I was entirely ready to ignore it, but I glanced out and saw my cat hunched over something, so I looked closer. There was a hummingbird, totally stunned and terrified. I got my mom to distract the cat while I scooped it up. I was worried about its wing, as it had been holding it out while it was on the ground, but folded it back in when I picked it up.

I just held it in my hands, out of reach and view of the cat, for a couple minutes. I was going to see if it needed some nectar for an energy boost, when flew up to our awning. It just observed us for a few moments before taking off.

(Here's a picture my mom took)

wJPegZ8.jpg

Moments like these are just humbling. I was able to help this tiny little creature, to protect it for just a few moments, and make sure it got on its way again. This is why I love nature, and why I want to work with animals. At any rate, I made sure to refill our hummingbird feeder.

Have any of you ever had experiences like this, that just make you stop and think, or remind you of how great the world is?

I remember when one of my cats grabbed a hold of a field mouse. It didn't want to leave my hand unless it was to climb up on my shoulder. We ended up keeping the field mouse for a while until it died from internal injuries several days later. It didn't have any puncture wounds, as I too wanted to work with animals, I made sure to check thoroughly.

It was sweet to me when it was with us though. Giving me kisses on the cheek and running around my shoulders and the table as I played WoW on my old laptop outside. It would run around the yard and always come right back to me when it was done having its fun, until the sadness that follows internal injuries that I will not go into <.<

aw poor little guy :( I hope he survives his cat attack. My cats are always catching critters but I usually don't notice until they deliver me a dead present. -_-

A few years ago I was able to rescue a goldfinch from my cat. I thought she was done for, especially when I scooped her up off the floor. I thought the terror of having a human pick them her up would top the cake. But she flew away and I was glad. Although of course my mom got on me for touching the bird lol

When I was young I used to stand outside near our birdfeeder for hours trying to get a bird to land on me and eat seeds from my hand. I remember when it finally happened and it was like the best day ever XD it was a big deal to me at the time haha

Aww! That's so sweet. :D

I once had a hummingbird fly into the little cabin where my mom and I lived. My mom managed to catch it by wrapping a towel around her hand so she wouldn't damage the delicate little bird and I got to have a look at it (no picture, though) before she released it.

Hummingbirds are so cute. ^_^

Ranaki, it's hard to deal with injured animals when there's nothing really to be done... But you did what you could to make that little mouse safe and happy, and I'm sure it appreciated your efforts. <3

Shelley, my cat was mostly just curious until I started trying to keep her away from the little guy. I don't think she quite knew what to do with such a tiny bird.

I would find it absolutely amazing to have a wild bird eat from my hand! It must have taken a lot of patience to wait long enough for them to trust you.

Duski, they are! Hummingbird babies are especially cute, if you ever get a chance to look in a nest.

562266_3534260167404_1153461409_n.jpg

yeahlatte, that would be awful. D: I'm sorry. My cat rarely brings back her "prizes", possibly because of all the times I've tried to stop her while she's hunting.

I have heard a similar 'thump' (though perhaps a fair bit louder)...

After the sound, our dogs were going NUTS at the glass doors. When I looked to see what the fuss was about, there was a fledgling hawk on the outdoor step. His wings were extended and he looked 'plopped down'...his beak was wide open and he was breathing rapidly.

I got a large'ish cardboard box (with a towel in the bottom) and a pair of leather work gloves (he was a raptor, after all) and gently lifted him/her into it...I then put the box on our picnic table in the shade and retreated back to the porch.

We watched for about 15-20 mins before he 'hopped' out of the box and onto the table...a couple minutes later he took a short flight into the branches of a nearby tree and there he/she sat for a VERY long time. We did not actually see him/her move on...but, there was no bird carcass on our property (the dogs would have had a field day with it), so we assume he/she shook off the shock and had a long life thereafter.

Truly a stunningly beautiful bird.

(and mad props to you for saving the wee feathered friend...very cute picture and a wonderful memory to hold!)

:P

Oh, wow! It probably needed the time to rest in the box, but felt safer once it could hide in the trees. Life's tough when you're learning to fly. :) Good job helping it, that's a great story.

Breeze- your cat must be skilled for being able to catch such a tiny and fast little bird! lol it did take some patience but it was a chickadee and they're known for being especially tame but I still thought it was neat ^^ There's just something about holding a wild bird. It's a cool experience indeed

yeahlatte, Yeah actually, now I've trained them to respond to my singing voice! hahah jk :p

Wow, I've never seen a bird so tame! Nothing like this has happened to me, but I know someone who found a sick raccoon on the side of the road and they nursed it back to health and released it. :3

I once found an injured red robin on the ground at my friend's house. Something was wrong with its little wing. We took it in the house to try to feed it some seed and give it some water but the poor little thing was suffering. I called the vet and found out what to do since it was wildlife and all. They told me to bring it down to the office, which I did, and the head vet there took it and said they would take care of it until its wing healed and then release it back to the wild. I was relieved that it would receive professional care. That was a truly beautiful bird, and I hope that its little wing healed quickly.

Once, I was on my way to work...it had been a really windy day and there were tree branches and stuff everywhere, and it was pretty damn cold (December in PA). And when I steped out of my building I saw a bird unlike any I've ever seen. It was pretty big with a beak over 2 inches long and narrow. And the poor thing was hopping around pathetically and trying to hide under the steps. The security guard just stared at me as I ran around looking for a box, CHASED one down on the wind, and got the little guy to hop in it.

I left him in some bushes by our business school because I couldn't take him to work and I left him bits of a granola bar. He wasn't there when I came back but the box was intact so I'm assuming he finally got over being smacked around by the wind and flew away.

Today, just a couple of hours ago, two of my neighbors phoned me up and told me they had found an abandoned kitten outside and they didn't know what to do with it and said they had no food to feed it or anything. The poor thing was covered in mud and its little ribs was showing. I think the mama cat abandoned him. He was orange and white with beautiful eyes, and looked to be about two months old. I took him in the house and gave him a bath the best I could to get the mud off of him, but I had to sit him back outside because he was infested with fleas, and I didn't want them in the house. I gave him some food and water and he later went from my back porch to my front porch and had a nap after it thundered and rained for a bit

I fed the little guy some wet food after his nap and cleaned up his face some more. One of my brother's friends came over and she saw him there. I told her he was abandoned and we had just found him and he didn't seem to belong to anybody. I was going to take it to the shelter if mama cat didn't come looking for it, but the girl said she wanted him, so I let her take him home. She said she would give him a flea bath and take good care of him.

I'm just glad I found the little fella a home. He was a sweet kitty, and I hated the thought that he was abandoned. Now he has a chance with a good home, bless his heart.

• 2 weeks later...

I helped out another critter today.

Animals have the bad habit of entering my house uninvited... We've had several small frogs, and once a squirrel that needed help finding the door.

Today, it was a tiny baby lizard. I chased him around a bit before managing to trap him in a cup and get him safely on his way. :)

1560683_10203767274574546_63834235522082

I think it was a year or two ago my aunt had saw a stray female Husky who was about to be taken away by animal control because a woman who lived in the area didn't want the husky to be roaming around the area only to get hurt or abused and called them. The woman who called was crying saying that she didn't want to have the husky get injurer but also didn't want her to be put down since she had no identification and my aunt stepped up and offered to take the dog instead of it being put down despite her having a Chihuahua and 2 Jack Russell Terriors. I got to visit the Husky and help her out with feeding her and stuff like that. Also I got to help her come up with a temporary name which was Luna until we found out if she had just ran away from her owner and lost her collar somewhere but no one had claimed Luna after putting up an ad about the found dog. Since my aunt couldn't keep her very much longer because the yard wasn't big enough for Luna to run in she decided to put Luna up for adoption. After awhile a woman who had owned huskies all her life had adopted Luna and was able to giver her a better home and the woman who adopter her would send pictures of Luna back to my aunt to show she was doing well in her new home.I don't think the one who adopted Luna sends her pictures anymore since it's been awhile when Luna was adopted. I'm glad that my aunt was there to offer to take Luna instead of letting her get put to sleep by Animal Control.

Today, just a couple of hours ago, two of my neighbors phoned me up and told me they had found an abandoned kitten outside and they didn't know what to do with it and said they had no food to feed it or anything. The poor thing was covered in mud and its little ribs was showing. I think the mama cat abandoned him. He was orange and white with beautiful eyes, and looked to be about two months old. I took him in the house and gave him a bath the best I could to get the mud off of him, but I had to sit him back outside because he was infested with fleas, and I didn't want them in the house. I gave him some food and water and he later went from my back porch to my front porch and had a nap after it thundered and rained for a bit

I fed the little guy some wet food after his nap and cleaned up his face some more. One of my brother's friends came over and she saw him there. I told her he was abandoned and we had just found him and he didn't seem to belong to anybody. I was going to take it to the shelter if mama cat didn't come looking for it, but the girl said she wanted him, so I let her take him home. She said she would give him a flea bath and take good care of him.

I'm just glad I found the little fella a home. He was a sweet kitty, and I hated the thought that he was abandoned. Now he has a chance with a good home, bless his heart.

Awww, I'm glad he found a nice home so quickly. :)