Can I speak Irish on Neopets?

irishgirl4395

Only if you teach me?

No, just kidding. I don't really know.

I'm going to have to go with the last poster and say no, because it's difficult for TNT to moderate you if you speak a language that's not spoken by the staff. (That's why I could never speak Spanish on Hogwarts Live.)

Of course, you can always file a ticket with TNT and ask. That helps. :)

B’fhéidir ar do lookup nó do phetpage. Níl mé cinnte, ach sin í ceist mhaith. Cuir ceist ar an eagarthóireachta.

(For the non-Gaeilgeoirí: Maybe on your lookup or petpage? I'm not sure, but that's a good question. Ask the editorial.)

I know that it's not allowed on the Neoboards, because the monitors can't understand it, but I'm not so sure you shouldn't be allowed to have it on your look-up or petpage. I've certainly seen more common phrases, like "Céad míle fáilte" -- Welcome -- in shops before. I think I might even have some on my "gallery donation thanks" petpage. I know they need to be able to monitor things and keep it kid-friendly, but at the same time, the website is global, and I think people should be able to express themselves in whatever language they feel most comfortable in on their own pages -- and even in communications with other users. I know I've done a trade in French because the other person didn't feel comfortable in English and I felt okay with my French, and I don't see why two Irish people -- or Polish people -- shouldn't be able to conduct a trade in their first language.

It's not like TNT can't do a Google-translate if something in Irish is reported. Again, it'd be a mess on the boards, which should rightly be monolingual, but elsewhere? I don't see the big deal. We can navigate shops in other languages just fine.

P.S. I notice that Firefox has overridden the use of right-alt + vowel = sinte fada again (they seem to screw it up every other update). Ugh. Respect the keyboard so I don't have to copy-paste from Word, Mozilla!

this editorial question was in issue 139 of the Neopian Times..

Can Neopets be done in Gaelic? So Irish people can read it too? - Petpetpal7

Lol, well Welsh is coming shortly so who knows :)

that was a long time ago though.. not quite sure why they began their answer with "laugh out loud" haha

I love languages. I really wish that I was fluent in several, but I'm only fluent in one and have a smattering in a few others (like Swedish).

Sadly, however, I'm a bit conflicted when it comes to what can and can't be posted up here or on NeoPets. I mean, if everyone were to speak in several languages, only bits and pieces of a conversation could be followed. It gets very confusing. While I truly and deeply sympathize with those who don't speak English or don't speak it well, it's the go-to language of the masses on NeoPets. There should be a standard so that everyone can join in, not just a few. After all, think what it would be like if it was Harari only. Or Cherokee? Or Mayan? What about Klingon, Quenya or another "artificial" language? It would lose the majority of gamers pretty fast.

I really don't mean to offend anyone with this opinion. As I said, I love languages and truly envy those of you who can speak in something other than English. But NeoPets and TDNF wouldn't get very far if everyone could just use anything they felt like.