The Cat Thread

Novelista

When I first met Emilyat the shelter, I was actually poking my finger thru the cage to play with another kitty... but then she just came to me and HELD my finger with both her paws! She didn't let go either. It was on that moment that I knew: she was THE one! <3

hahah everyone has these adorable rescue stories. I rescued my cat from the vets after he was drowned in a toilet and brought back to life bahah. I worked their so when the owners decided they didn't want him (or at least didn't want to pay the bill) I snatched him up! The first time I picked him up he started screaming...and when I left work the whole ride home he was screaming. then when I finally got him home he did nothing but try to escape..and scream.

haha so much love o.O

on a side note..he's still known to everyone at the animal hospital as "toilet cat"

all these photos are adorable!! I wish I could get my cat to sit still for one second to get a good photo XD ..I have to catch him while he's sleeping sometime

Any of you have cat photos hanging in your room? (Or some other point of pride in your home, should you be lucky enough to own or rent?)

Bonus points if you took it yourself. ^_^

I've used some of them as my background some time ago. And I'm pretty sure I would take and display the pictures.

I used to have pictures of my cat and my sister's on my wall at work, but after moving desks and condensing work space, I took down all of my personal stuff.

Here's my kitties:

My cat, Cairo: (Who is currently staring at my bowl of cereal like I never feed him, when he has a full food dish on the floor beside where I'm sitting)

CatintheBox.jpg

My sister's cat, Rio. (I still consider him mine because after cat-sitting for her for 9 months 10 years ago, he still likes me better than her)

P1030116-1.jpg

No kitties on display in our house - if I did it would be my own kitties, but Finch doesn't photograph very well because he is so dark.

Question for all of you...

My kittens are going on 7 months (ah! they're getting so big!) but they don't meow yet...they make squeaky noises to communicate, but no full fledged meowing. It's been ~15 years since I've had a kitten so I was just wondering if you all remember when your cats got their "real" meows?

I had no idea this thread existed! Thanks Novelista!

Anyway, I've fostered cats since as long as I can remember, so I constantly have furry faces popping in and out of my life. I have a few that I have personally adopted and will never be rehomed.

374449_374414112702546_1082718074_n.jpg

This is Spooky! She was a feral stray I worked on taming for months until I was finally able to get a hold of her and bring inside. Her nicknames include Spook, Catdog (she has a dog-like personality) and Chicken Leg (she escaped and got hit by a car about a year ago which required surgery, they shaved her entire lower half and her leg looked like the chicken thigh quarters you buy in the meat section, thus getting her name.

tumblr_mgfm4hqTDT1qmd8gjo1_500.jpg

This is Cinnamon, I call her Cinnabutt, though. I got her when I was buying chinese food, they had the door open and this cat came in begging for food, you could see ever bone in her body and they were chasing her out with a broom but she was so weak she couldn't even run. I picked her up and took her to the vet the next day. She hadn't eaten in so long that her body couldn't even handle food so they had to nourish her through an IV

She will always be little because of her malnutrition when she was young.

62394_223762527767706_1525208486_n.jpg

This is Boo, my sister calls him Bears, he is the son of my first cat ever, he is about to turn 13 next month.

f5d5a16445.jpg

Some of you may know this little booger from this thread, I found him Saturday afternoon while on my way to my glass blowing class, he was in the middle of the road all alone about to be hit by oncoming cars. He is currently recovering from an upper respiratory infection, he is currently 5 weeks old.

So much fuzzy cuteness! I want a clone of everyone's cat that's posted so far.

As far as kittens and meowing, it seems to depend on the cat. My cat is 10 years old (o_O where does time go?) and he still doesn't really "meow." He kinda squeaks, which my mom always called "baby meows" The only time he actually really meows, it's more like a meow/howl when he's doing his nighttime kitty crazies or when he's been shut out of a room he wants in. Then it sounds like a normal meow, but TONS louder.

My sister's cat is pretty much the same way. He doesn't really meow at all though. He's mostly silent, but he does squeak, especially when begging for food. (And he's 11 or 12 years old)

I don't know if breeds affect it at all. My sister's is a tabby and mine is a tabby/manx mix.

*snuggles Spritzie's babies* <3

Bri: I've met cats that never/rarely meow. We had a blonde tabby (they're officially known as "buff") that never meowed; although sometimes, I could persuade her to make a really pathetic sounding one if I tempted her with tuna juice. :D | I recently learned through Leverhelven (I don't know her real name) that cats don't meow to each other, they just do it to get our attention, so...

Hanna, darlin', I think you're the Queen of the Rescue Cats. ^_^

Someone needs to keep on me so I scan/post the photo that inspired me to bump this thread. :P

Pfft! That's nothing. My cat once "gave" me a bottle of shower gel for Mother's Day. I think my dad still signs my birthday card from him and the cats! :laughingsmiley: (It's been five months. I've forgotten already. :P )

Rhi_zps9d93ecfe.jpg

That's the one I've been meaning to post. Her name was Rhiannon and she passed away in 2005 during a dishwasher fire. (Of all the things in all the world, right?) (Don't be too sad...she was five then, so she'd probably be gone by now, anyway.)

It's funny (apparently, my fingers also think it's "sunny"...hello typos!)...I may have taken this photo just to finish off my film, yet ten or eleven years later, it's a point of pride--go figure!

Of course, there's a good reason for that: now that people have pretty well given up cameras in favor of their phones (or at least young people have), it's so rare to see a photo taken with actual film. That was in a camera with no flash and a manual shutter advance. That I developed and subsequently printed in a darkroom. That I later framed, because I really like it. *shrugs*

Oh and my dad has some cat pix in a multi-frame in the hall leading to my room. But I really just asked my question for an excuse to post the pic of Rhi and talk about it. xD

I could seriously go on forever about my Sydney. She's just so beautiful and smart, and pretty much my better half. My brother has a cat named Sherbert who recently had kittens. I have pics of Syd and Sherbs and my sort of adopted doggie Shadow on Sandrea's pet page. :3

Here is a picture of Syd that I snapped at random when she was 4 months old. She was saying "Mama" and it truly is one of my most favorite pictures of her. She'll be 2 this September though.

SydneySayingMamacropped_zpsdf2e82de.jpg

Edit: Sorry this photo is so big and a bit blurry. How do I add the spoiler tag like some of the other posts have for big photos?

Reading your fuzzies post, she sounds super smart!

Sometimes, I wonder if I can understand Lauren and Ani simply by...empathy is probably the word I'm looking for...or if I'm just reading too much into things. xD

On July 31st we'll celebrate one year of Emily at our home (though she's a little older, we got her when she was approx. 3 months old).

And you know what? I'll TOTALLY throw a birthday party for her! The theme is already picked: Marie the cat! (from The Aristocats!) :D

OMG! That is such a lovely idea! But if I wanted to throw a party for my cats I think my husband would kill me...although they have grown on him. I catch him talking to them in his "cat voice" and he totally used to be a dog person.

PS I love the Aristocats - Marie was one of the names I thought about for Dinah :)

I've parted with the competing site, but I still want to lurk a tad, because I entered a customization contest right before I took off. :P

Anyway, I went to lurk at the right time, because kitten article! :D (Complete with a cute picture...reminds me of Navy's little Ringo. ^_^)

I could just look at cat pictures and be happy for the rest of my life hahah

I feel like there needs to be a dog thread though ;)

although I don't have a dog right now and i would probably just be sad haha

I feel the need to post about my love, Thomas! since I never mentioned him before :/ He's the best cat I've ever met, so well behaved, and affectionate. He's been with me my whole life, since I was in pre-school and he's such an old man now. I hate to see him so old, but he's still a beautiful cat. :) this picture was taken two years ago, so he doesn't look as bony and skinny as he does now. He was originally named Matisse, after the artist, but I changed it to thomas because I was like 4 and couldn't remember it haha. All his teeth are falling out, he can't move around very well, but he still managed to catch a mouse yesterday ;)

smalltom.jpg

he's so handsome ^^

and here's the nuisance cat grown up now...he'd rather cuddle up with a fake monkey with an eye patch rather than me :/ haha

smallcrick.jpg

Just as I was writing this Thomas came to find me and he's just sitting on the floor staring at me, I think he knows I'm talking about him lol so cuute ^^

Yay for still catching mice! I somehow thought that cats couldn't kill mice without claws, but I don't know where I got that silly idea...ours play with 'em and scare the tar out of 'em and eventually they die. *laughs* (Which is good, 'cause the sonic doohickey I put in my outlet just rousts them out of the walls where Lauren and Ani can get to them...they don't actually go away.)

I haven't seen a dedicated dog thread yet, but there's always the Fuzzy Friend Appreciation Thread that Angel started. ^_^

haha claws/no claws, teeth/no teeth, cats will always catch mice! Don't know how they do it

I read Angel's thread! I meant to respond..I don't remember if I did or not, but it was so lovely to read :)

They get their slaves...er...human parents...to do it for them!

That quote at the very beginning of the thread was from one night when Ani and I were in the basement and a mouse was climbing the wall, and...yeah. xD

• 3 weeks later...

Best thread. I never grow tired of looking at kitty pics. :)

This is my sweetest cuddlebug. Her name is Samantha. I adopted her as an adult cat. After spending nearly 2 hours at the SPCA and meeting dozens of cats, I knew within a minute of meeting her that she was the perfect kitty for me. <3

sammysam.jpg