Shockwave refuses to work on my laptop: why?

leverhelven

Ohai! Here's the thing: I want to play a few games that give out avatars, like Hannah and the Pirate Caves and Escape from Meridell Castle, but they use Macromedia Shockwave to work.

Okay, so I downloaded the very latest version of it to my laptop. Didn't work.

I forgot about it for a while, but now decided to try again. I downloaded an even newer version... and it still doesn't work!

Here's what happens: the loading page appears (the one with Neopets animations), but then this warning shows up:

3b1j.jpg

And I just don't know what to do anymore! I really wanted those avvies, so I need to play... Sugestions, guys?

Basically, the shockwave games are super glitches for everyone. :( It's really annoying, but there is a workaround that seems to work for most people!

http://www.thedailyneopets.com/neopets-games/gourmet-club-bowls

For your information:This game is not functioning at all for the majority of players. Here is a trick that has worked for the Chrome browser:

Step 1: Load Hannah and the Pirate Caves. Click to play and let the game load.

Step 2: WHILE HatPC is still open, bring up the Gourmet Club Bowls. Remember to keep the Hannah game up while you're doing this.

Step 3: Click to play GCB. (Hannah is still open)

Here's where you have to play around with it a bit. I've had Club Bowls load the first time using this method. Other times, the error message pops up. If it does, click ok then reload the GCB pop-up play screen. RELOAD. DO NOT EXIT AND CLICK TO PLAY AGAIN. Repeat until the game loads. The most tries it took me was 4 the first time. Other times, it has worked the first try, or second try, but it can also take a few more tries. I'd say give it 10 tries, a few more if you're patient enough. From the people who have tried it in Chrome, we have been able to access the game. (Remember to have your shockwave player up to date as well).

Once the GCB game has loaded, you can then close Hannah, but will have to re-open her if you wish to re-load the GCB play screen. Hasn't been tested with other shockwave games, only Hannah and only in Chrome. If you find other combinations or browsers that work, please send in a ticket and let us know.

Another possible workaround is to load Club Bowls as usual. When the play screen pops up, copy the address from the popup into the "Click to Play" launch window. Submit the address and refresh until the game loads without an error. This has been reported as successful in a few cases.

This worked for me, and I got all of the shockwave avatars in one afternoon- I just played one game after another.
Good luck!

Thank you so much for the help. Unfortunately, it's still not working :( I'm gonna try sending TNT a message thru the NT Editorial, but they'll probably ignore me just as they always do when I send them these things... Oh well :(

It's a problem that they know about- the problem isn't with something TNT has done (aside from designing games with Shockwave). Shockwave is unstable and old, and it just sucks. Aside from completely redesigning the games to run on flash instead of shockwave, there isn't anything they can do.

The fix I posted did work for me, but it did take a while. Stick at it! Try a couple different browsers, try opening different games to start with (Hannah is usually the easiest, but maybe Dice Escape or something will work better for you?)

• 4 months later...

Same thing happened to me too.

You could always try playing just those games with internet explorer instead

of firefox or chrome. Sometimes that helps if you can't get it fixed AT ALL.

Instead of creating a new topic, I'll post my problem here (unless a mod recommends a new topic)

I figured it's a similar problem, so.....

Neopet games are not loading for me. They just appear as gray boxes.

After hours of google searches and upinstalling and re updating.... (flash, shockwave --are they the same thing?--, and java)

I found this website <http://www.whatismybrowser.com> and it says:

IS JAVASCRIPT ENABLED? Yes

IS FLASH INSTALLED? Flash 12.0 is installed✓ Up to date

IS JAVA INSTALLED? Java 7 is installed✓ Up to date

So what's the problem?!

Instead of creating a new topic, I'll post my problem here (unless a mod recommends a new topic)

I figured it's a similar problem, so.....

Neopet games are not loading for me. They just appear as gray boxes.

After hours of google searches and upinstalling and re updating.... (flash, shockwave --are they the same thing?--, and java)

I found this website <http://www.whatismybrowser.com> and it says:

IS JAVASCRIPT ENABLED? Yes

IS FLASH INSTALLED? Flash 12.0 is installed✓ Up to date

IS JAVA INSTALLED? Java 7 is installed✓ Up to date

So what's the problem?!

There was an issue with all games on the site earlier causing them all not to work. This issue has since been fixed. To know if there's something glitchy going on with the Neopets site visit our Neopets down/having issues thread. That way you have a better idea if anyone else is experiencing the same problem or if it's your browser or settings. :)