End of AC Results, Memories and Prize Shop is Open!

AgJu

Here's a thread for discussing the end of the AC, thoughts, highlights/low-lights, what you'd change etc...plus the Prize Shop is open! The Eventide paintbrush is one of the prizes and I've been wanting one!

Anyway, congrats to Tyrannia for winning with a near perfect record. Loryche is the third female to lead her team to victory, after Keetra (VP) and Derlyn (KD). Hopefully, Terror Mountain is next. We really woke up midway through Bracket 2 and while we'd been dogged with rumors of cheaters and such, hopefully we'll have some goodwill and momentum going into next year and our Prytariel can hoist that championship trophy into the air!

Congrats to Altador for having a good season and Roo Island for being such stalwarts! I wish Haunted Woods could've ranked higher though. They're one of my favorite teams.

I had good time everyone! Let's do this again next year, hopefully without the bracket system. :p

I didn't fare badly for my first cup. I was very happy with the little plushies. They're really cute. I was happy that there were a lot of really neat prices that were available to people who didn't earn the crazy amount of points that people who made All-Star or higher did. I feel like the spread was really nice in that there were desirable prizes for any number of points earned, and appropriately larger rewards for the overachievers.

I was very disappointed to see how very heavily the cheating groups and the ASGs weighed on the end-game (though every team had plenty of honest players too, I'm sure), but them's the cards dealt I guess. My team did well and I can't complain. I just wish something could be done to stop the cheating from happening.

I didn't fare badly for my first cup. I was very happy with the little plushies. They're really cute. I was happy that there were a lot of really neat prices that were available to people who didn't earn the crazy amount of points that people who made All-Star or higher did. I feel like the spread was really nice in that there were desirable prizes for any number of points earned, and appropriately larger rewards for the overachievers.

What I like to do is after I've bought any big-ticket items I want, I spend the rest on the team gear, which this year are the Yooyu plushies. I bought one of each, a second for my favorite teams (HW, MT, MD, KD) and spent the rest on Terror Mountain plushies. :p

I must say, that All-Star trophy is a thing of beauty, even if KI did get 4th place. Not to shabby, considering what we were up against.

I am annoyed that Tyrannia got the gold due to the cheaters, but I have nothing but respect for RI. You guys were amazing.

The highlight for me was seeing that RI took a game from Tyrannia, and in general, during those 5 days of the bracket from... Dr. Sloth, when Rooligans banded together day after day to set personal record after personal record, making sure we earned third place. I achieved All Star (while sending the highest scores possible in each game, too, whereas before that I was mostly sending minimums, especially in SOSD) about 5 or 6 days earlier than I should have, thanks to that one bracket, and I would never have been able to sustain that effort without the encouragement and work of my fellow Rooligans. It was truly a team effort, and it reminded me once again why I'll always be a Rooligan* -- we work hard and believe that our hard work will pay off, even against alleged cheating. But we try to be friendly and helpful to all, Rooligan or not.

All teams had their moments: Brightvale being the first team to take a game from Altador; Shenkuu taking a game from us in our second meeting; Terror Mountain's incredible run (and their supporters taking it in stride through the allegations of cheaters' assistance, but still working their butts off once the cheaters seemed to be frozen, keeping up their new-found dominance without the unwanted "help"); Kiko Lake holding its own (and then some!) in the bracket from Dr. Sloth; Altador making sure to shut us out during our second match-up (bittersweet for us, of course, but total respect for them taking us seriously the second time, even though we were coming off our battle with Tyrannia and totally exhausted -- we gave it our all, anyway, and Altador did, too, giving us our only total loss for the season); even the poor loyal Tyrannians whose long-desired victory was tainted by unwanted "help" (but who still worked hard for their team). I'm sure I'm forgetting others, but this post is long enough!

*I joined the Rooligans in AC3 because they were fun and team-oriented. After being on the winning team and noting that the second place team had always won the next year (up to that point), I joined someone else AC4, only to see that "rule" fall apart, and missing the camaraderie of the Rooligans. After that, I've been a Rooligan ever since.

This AC was certainly a humbling experience. It's the first AC where I didn't have school or a summer job to juggle at the same time, and if it weren't for burning myself out too quickly and taking a break midway, I would have ranked All-Star. But I learned a lot about how I can play better for next year, and I still nabbed my best showing yet. At the same time though, I also learned not to expect teams to run the way they used to. Lost Desert hadn't placed under 5th until the winner's curse threw us to 13th, but a repeat performance at 12th (actually Shenkuu can have 12th, I want 13th to be consistent with the Fibonacci pattern we have) is just a reminder that the other teams can be unstoppable. I'll never leave LD to be sure, but much respect to teams like RI, TM, and HW.

I really do hope that next year gets an overhaul. I understand that the Obelisk War (curiously a Tyrannian plot) took a lot out of them this year and perhaps the AC didn't get the full attention it could have (loads of appreciation for probably the quickest the prize shop and results have been put up). But next year the game needs to be upped. Maybe updating the games will slow down the auto score senders. And definitely looking at a new tournament style, not that they necessarily do DRR again but something that seems more fair than the bracket-rounds system.

Oh man, next year is going to be the NINTH cup. Nine years guys! That's insane.

If they do the bracket system again, instead of this weird system that not many seem to understand, why not do a combo of bracket/DRR? Like, the team's rank in a bracket is based on their win/loss records within that bracket and doesn't carry over to the next one (not erasing your team's results just that what happened in one bracket doesn't influence the next). That would make it easier for teams to move up and down and it would be easier to qualify your team's performances while making sure that results in all games matter. The current bracket system feels like, once something is locked in, there's nothing you can do about it and so diminishing your performance. TM could've placed higher if we'd been able to move up in bracket 2; Meridell and Maraqua would not have beat us then.