Obelisk Prizes Now Released!

hrtbrk

So... I recently went to the Prize Page. I'm part of the Sway, and since I wasn't that active during the war, I only got 10,022 points. What I don't understand is that i didn't get the exclusive Sway prizes - avatr, Sway site theme, and the boons. Can someone please explain to me why?

Also, when I go to the boons page, I get this message "There appears to be a lull in the fighting. This might be a good time to get a bit of training done before the different factions get restless again..." and that I have to choose my allegiance in 110+ hours. What's that about?

Hum.

Am I the only person who feels unbelievably disappointed and disillusioned by the way the war ended? Personally I think TNT have handled it extremely badly.

1) My biggest annoyance - the winning team get a huge amount of extra stuff, including an avatar. This means everyone in the Sway gets all this stuff, whether they deserved it or not. Undoubtedly they have some great battlers who did deserve it, but also loads of people who didn't do anything to deserve it, they just got lucky because they picked the right team. All TNT needed to do was either give the Sway a different trophy, like they do for whoever wins the Altador cup, or a different avatar, not an extra one and all that extra stuff.

2) Secondly, the prizes are rubbish. There's not really anything there I'm particularly interested in. This was a war, and there aren't any decent weapons as prizes! There's also nothing to help increase your stats (like an Armoured Negg or something). Or how about some 'clothing' (e.g. a sword) that makes your pet look like its fighting? I guess I'll just buy paintbrushes and sell them, but overall it's pretty disappointing. Two of the prizes are hats, for *&*^'s sake. Like we really need more of those. It's not like I have about two hundred already in my closet or anything.

3) The whole 'Doing Your Part' bar thing. If they have something like that, they should make it clear what it means. Clearly, doing your part wasn't enough, because I did my part on each round by beating the hardest opponents, and got all the achievements, yet I didn't get the top rank. So what did the 'Doing Your Part' bar mean? Anything at all??? On top of that, they seem to be giving points for the earthquakes, which was a random event. How dumb is that?

4) The Plot ending was also rubbish. The start was brilliant, undoubtedly the best start to a plot/war I've seen, with all the videos etc., but then at the end it just fizzled out. Meh.

Ugh. Sometimes I wonder why I bother. It seems like all TNT is interested in now is the NCMall and making money,,,

Hum.

Am I the only person who feels unbelievably disappointed and disillusioned by the way the war ended? Personally I think TNT have handled it extremely badly.

1) My biggest annoyance - the winning team get a huge amount of extra stuff, including an avatar. This means everyone in the Sway gets all this stuff, whether they deserved it or not. Undoubtedly they have some great battlers who did deserve it, but also loads of people who didn't do anything to deserve it, they just got lucky because they picked the right team. All TNT needed to do was either give the Sway a different trophy, like they do for whoever wins the Altador cup, or a different avatar, not an extra one and all that extra stuff.

2) Secondly, the prizes are rubbish. There's not really anything there I'm particularly interested in. This was a war, and there aren't any decent weapons as prizes! There's also nothing to help increase your stats (like an Armoured Negg or something). Or how about some 'clothing' (e.g. a sword) that makes your pet look like its fighting? I guess I'll just buy paintbrushes and sell them, but overall it's pretty disappointing. Two of the prizes are hats, for *&*^'s sake. Like we really need more of those. It's not like I have about two hundred already in my closet or anything.

3) The whole 'Doing Your Part' bar thing. If they have something like that, they should make it clear what it means. Clearly, doing your part wasn't enough, because I did my part on each round by beating the hardest opponents, and got all the achievements, yet I didn't get the top rank. So what did the 'Doing Your Part' bar mean? Anything at all??? On top of that, they seem to be giving points for the earthquakes, which was a random event. How dumb is that?

4) The Plot ending was also rubbish. The start was brilliant, undoubtedly the best start to a plot/war I've seen, with all the videos etc., but then at the end it just fizzled out. Meh.

Ugh. Sometimes I wonder why I bother. It seems like all TNT is interested in now is the NCMall and making money,,,

1. Not everyone in the Sway got the avatar and site theme. Under a certain amount of points, they don't get any of the extra prizes or boons.

2. Fairly subjective, but I see what you mean. Things that increase stats or customizable weapons would be nice, but I really liked the prizes.

3. I think the "Doing Your Part" bar was what counted towards your faction's points. Any battles after that didn't help your faction win, but they gave you, individually, more points.

4. Pretty sure it's not over, considering there's another countdown and they're saying that the truce will end.

@elbandito999 : You know , you're speaking me from the soul. This war was really the biggest disappointment ever. The prizes are terrible , nothing's worth buying , and i bet those fools didn't even calculate the prize points. They just counted which faction had the most members and that's it.

TNT is really treating us like crap. Sorry , but i had to say that. They don't care about us . All they want is our money , but they'll never get mine , cuz' i'm not planning to give those idiots real money for virtual items , keep dreaming.

Well , TNT is crap itself , so it doesn't make me wonder....

Thanks for your answers :D

1. Not everyone in the Sway got the avatar and site theme. Under a certain amount of points, they don't get any of the extra prizes or boons.

Well okay, that makes it a little bit better, but it's still completely disproportionate. What about prizes for second, third etc.?

2. Fairly subjective, but I see what you mean. Things that increase stats or customizable weapons would be nice, but I really liked the prizes.

I guess it depends what you were looking for. Currently I've got a pretty good weapons set. But trying to improve it would costs tens of millions, which I don't have, and I'm never likely to. Something to bridge the gap between, for instance, the healer that costs 800k and the healer that costs 60million might have been nice... A 60hp healer might be great if your pet has 60hp, but when it has 1252hp, it's a bit pointless :(

3. I think the "Doing Your Part" bar was what counted towards your faction's points. Any battles after that didn't help your faction win, but they gave you, individually, more points.

Probably you're right, but why couldn't they tell us that? I personally don't have time or inclination to fight the same opponent hundreds of times when I might have been completely wasting my time. In previous plots, a cap for an opponent meant exactly that - no point fighting it again.

4. Pretty sure it's not over, considering there's another countdown and they're saying that the truce will end.

Well maybe, but if it isn't over, why have a prize shop? 'Prize shop'='over' in my mind. There might be a daily or something, but that isn't going to change the unfair prizes etc.

MBDG: Wow, that's really harsh. You do realize you're talking about actual human beings who devote the biggest portion of their waking hours to running a fun online game for you? Sure, they get paid, but they take a lot of pride in what they do, as artists, programmers, writers, creators...

I'm 100% certain TNT calculated points to determine which faction won. They're very careful about not handing victory to the most popular team in the AC, and I'm sure they factored in faction size here, too. They also don't penalize teams for the people who sign up but don't do anything, and they specifically mentioned that they were going to award faction points for beating the enemy, but make sure it wasn't disproportionate (because very few Neopians were capable of it, and they probably weren't distributed to the various factions evenly). TNT never reveals the details of its scoring system for plots/wars because they don't want people to try to game the system for the next event, sapping the fun out of it for everyone.

If you don't like the prizes, fine -- taste is subjective. There's a pretty big variety of weapons, wearables, a few books, etc. Sure, none of the weapons are YB/HCC quality, but then again, this was a short effort, and so it's not really worthy of a weapon of that quality. Given the amount of effort required and length of the war, I think the prizes are appropriate.

And the war isn't over. It looks like other factions will get a chance to win boons/avatar/site theme (check out LiL's message about having to choose a new faction since she didn't win with the Sway) after the next truce. We did get a whole new Tyrannia map. Sure, it's different to have a prize shop in the middle, but TNT seems to have a plan for addressing the apparent "unfairness." Wait until all the chips fall before complaining about unfairness or the way it ended.

Thank you to everyone who took the whiners to task. Really, guys, if you're that up in arms about a freaking gaming site, then you need to reevaluate your priorities.

Bandito, I don't care what a prize shop says to you. TNT is not going to waste their time with a countdown ticker for a daily, of all things. Repeat after me: "The war is not over." (The battle portion may be, but the entire obelisk event is not.)

MBDG, did you stop and think before running your mouth? Clearly not, or you would've put yourself into TNT's shoes and thought of how it would feel to work hard designing all these games and events and images and have someone basically calling you a crook because they're displeased with something you did and think you're just looking to get money out of them. No one is twisting your arm and forcing you to keep playing, so stop complaining. I've tried a few new Facebook games in the last week or so and I dropped all of them within a few days because they became overly complicated and therefore no fun. Did I write to the creators of those games and *bleep* because I thought they were trying to extort money out of me via Facebook coins? No, I dropped them and went back to playing Neopets, because TNT's games are more simplistic and less demanding.

Thank you to those of you who take Neopets for what it is (a game) and make TDN a nice place to be. (There are too many of you to name and I don't know all the regulars, anyway.) I hope I never have to leave these forums because people don't know when to stop whining and walk away, but if it comes to that, I will.

I'm a bit puzzled about the scoring system in one respect: seems like users got the same amount of points for winning or losing a battle (I know the doing your part bar filled up slower, but in the final tally). That'd mean that those of us who "did our part" while winning every battle got fewer points in the end than those of us who "did our part" losing every battle, because obviously that involved more battling. That seems a bit unfair to those who invested a lot into training and arming their pets for this war. Can someone confirm / contradict?

TYRANNIA LOOKS AWESOME!! I think I love the redo of it more than the war and the prizes and the new avvies and such. Also, on the topic of avvies - despite being on the winning team, it seems unfair to those who are avvie collectors but couldn't get this one due to a decision on their part. Oh well I guess.

And some of the prizes are cool, but it took me a bit to decide what to buy, what with only 72,000 points, the decision-making was relatively difficult.

If anything past that gave points, it was probably a quickly decreasing number. For example, if you got 10 points for your first one, the next one would've been worth 9 points, then 8, and so on. I got 344k points, my brother got more than 600k - I did a lot more battles than he did (he just filled the bars), he did some digging which I wasn't here for. He also seems to be on par with what other people got here, although I could be wrong and all the people who got 600k+ may have just filled their bars too.

While the weapons are not that great, the paintbrushes are fantastic and should not be sneezed at. Added to this a very affordable book, some nice backgrounds and some stylish bits of clothing. No, its not a yblaster, it is certainly not that magma weapon from Moltara, but it isn't always about the weapons.

Buy some nice paintbrushes, throw them in the SDB and wait a few months, then buy whatever weapons you want.

Also, get some brains and cake, YUM!.

FYI, I had crawdads for lunch.

Anyone else not able to buy any prizes? I've clicked on a prize twice now and said yes to buying it but it hasn't taken my points away or added it to my inventory. . . :(

That was happening to me too. I realised my inventory had over 50 items in it, so I'm thinking that might be the problem? I haven't tried again yet, but if not I guess just submit a ticket.

EDIT: Wha - saw a shadow pb going for 550k, ditto for a rock. If I had a whole bunch of plot points, idk if I'd be going for the high ticket items right now.

EDIT2: Emptied my inventory to below 50 and the prize shop worked just fine.

Probably you're right, but why couldn't they tell us that? I personally don't have time or inclination to fight the same opponent hundreds of times when I might have been completely wasting my time. In previous plots, a cap for an opponent meant exactly that - no point fighting it again.

This was my main complaint about the event, as well. I wish TNT had just posted a FAQ to explain what the "Doing Your Part" bar meant for us in terms of points, if playing over the cap helped our factions/point totals, if achievements counted towards our points, etc. I would have played somewhat more if I'd known there was any point.

Well, in my opinion:

Like almost everybody stated, the extra avatar and site theme that the sway got seems really unfair. Even if some of them didn't get the avatar due to the effort that they put in the war, still it's like a matter of luck here with who actually trying.

Secondly, the new map really looked good. These cannot be complained :)

Thirdly, somebody said that the plot didn't end yet. In my mind, I still hope somewhat that I still can get the extra avatar and stuff, but look at the fact I see there's nothing to prove that the plot's still going on.

So, has anyone figured out what all the boons do? I can't seem to figure out what the Black Market Goods is supposed to do. Also, has anyone set anything up to calculate how much more NP we'd get for the Bank Bribery boon?

Right now, I'm leaning towards the Cheaper by the Dozen boon, but I want to be sure what the rest of them do before I make my decision.

Well, in my opinion:

Like almost everybody stated, the extra avatar and site theme that the sway got seems really unfair. Even if some of them didn't get the avatar due to the effort that they put in the war, still it's like a matter of luck here with who actually trying.

Secondly, the new map really looked good. These cannot be complained :)

Thirdly, somebody said that the plot didn't end yet. In my mind, I still hope somewhat that I still can get the extra avatar and stuff, but look at the fact I see there's nothing to prove that the plot's still going on.

For your third point: If you go to the obelisk, you'll see a timer showing when the truce ends. I think that the war is over (we have received our trophies and prizes after all) but it does seem like there will be more battling. People who haven't won the Sway prizes (people on the Sway team that didn't participate enough, as well as other teams) will probably get to do more battling, and the next winner will win the exclusive prizes, and so on and so on.

So, has anyone figured out what all the boons do? I can't seem to figure out what the Black Market Goods is supposed to do. Also, has anyone set anything up to calculate how much more NP we'd get for the Bank Bribery boon?

Right now, I'm leaning towards the Cheaper by the Dozen boon, but I want to be sure what the rest of them do before I make my decision.

It's just a simple percentage calculation - add 3% to however much interest you're getting right now, and figure out what that percent of your current NP would be, and then divide by 365. For example:

I get 12.5% interest daily, so with the boon I would've gotten 15.5%. I currently have 9,201,123 NP in the bank, so my new annual interest would be 1,426,174. Divide that by 365 and I'd be making 3,907NP every day.

That's actually not a very good deal - with my current 12.5% interest I make 3,152NP daily, so it would really only be an extra 750NP for 6 days. Definitely not the boon to choose.

I see there's nothing to prove that the plot's still going on.

I disagree. Firstly, there's the timer counting down to when the truce ends. Second, there's the fact that people who joined factions but didn't get many points have been given the option to join another faction (suggesting that there are more points/prizes to be awarded later).

The boons are explained on the Obelisk Coverage site on TDN:

http://www.thedailyneopets.com/obelisk-war/prizes/

just scroll to the bottom. Pick soon, before the perks expire!