maikofire

Avatar:TLA VS. The Legend of Korra  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better(in your opinion)?

2. 2. Who is funnier(so far)?

3. 3. Which one do you prefer?

• General Iroh (a.k.a. Zuko's grandson)
    • Zuko

Yeah, I was really bummed with Korra. Just... it's not the same. I really wish that they would've just continued Avatar, or pick up when Team Avatar were adults.

I prefer ATLA. I've tried watching Korra, and it just didn't live up to my expectations. I know a lot of people rave about it, but it just didn't interest me. And I feel like everything was sort of rushed. It didn't really leave room for personal growth and development, imo.

I'm sorry, did someone ask for a 10-page dissertation about the Avatar series? *cracks knuckles*

jk. kinda

I much prefer the Last Airbender over Legend of Korra. That's not to say that I don't enjoy Korra, it's just...well...they seem to have resorted to lazy cliches and sterotyping in Korra. I mean, who else saw that love triangle(square?) thing coming from a mile away? And why, why the love triangle? They can't even use the excuse of "to please the audience" because that's not the type of audience the series has. It feels like they did that because of the female main character, but I'm not gonna get into that.

We have the 2 brothers without parents, orphaned and alone and street savvy and blah. I saw the brothers both falling for Korra as soon as they were introduced.

We have Asami, the rich girl who lost her mother (to yet another jerk firebender. The series has an abundance of murderous firebenders) and lives with her father. I saw the father being evil shortly after he was introduced.

We have Korra, the feisty female avatar who don't need no man. Except you could literally hear her falling in love with Mako as soon as she saw dem eyebrows. I mean, just the main group is filled to the brim with instant cliche soup. Then there is the rushed-feeling storyline with Amon which is concluded on an unfulfilling note. Like, the entire season finale was disappointing to me.

Spoilers ahead: What irritated me the most was how Korra lost her bending while simultaneously unlocking her airbending (which was so obvious that Paul Revere warned the settlers about it shortly after warning about the British). That could've made for a fantastic focus point for season 2 at the very least. Heck, they could've had her coping with being an Avatar that could only airbend for the rest of the series until perhaps giving back her bending at the series finale. But nooooo. Insert a short temper-tantrum and a bit of waterworks and suddenly Aang is giving her back her mojo muttering about "when you reach your lowest point blah blah". AS IF that was her lowest point?! AS IF that's all it took for her bending to come back. AS IF she got it back without learning a single darn lesson. They missed a golden opportunity for character building and moral lessons, in my opinion. And then cap off the disappointing finale with Makorra finally becoming canon. Bleeeeh. Korra could've been so much more.

Spoilers for next season ahead:

Also, Bolin is supposed to be getting a love interest next season. That would be all fine and dandy except for that fact that many people, myself included, are already placing bets that Korra is gonna get all jealous over whatever love interest Bolin has. And perhaps some tension and good old-fashioned girl-hate between Korra and Asami to go along with the romancy drama they are going with.

Anywho, that is the end of my rambling, extremely unstructured rant. Tl;dr: Avatar is better because they dropped the ball with Korra but both are enjoyable.

I'm being a good good girl and watching Avatar like I'm supposed to, which I SHOULD have done many years ago. I still need to finish watching that series and then see LoK afterward. With the war (on Neo), and my distractions by other things such as Cracked.com, Nostalgia Critic, and real life...I haven't finished. Bad bad me! DX

So basically I cannot vote or decide yet, as I only know the Avatar series and the characters, but Sokka is my fave from that show. And Toph...and Zuko. :wub_anim: UNF what a hottie. Too bad he lacks humor.

Come to think of it that part really was off, I retract my statement and have seen the light. LTA for me. But neither for funny, that one goes to uncle Iroh.

"They call this tea? This is just hot leaf juice!"

Come to think of it that part really was off, I retract my statement and have seen the light. LTA for me. But neither for funny, that one goes to uncle Iroh.

YES! Iroh was gold! And in Korra I think Tenzin is funnier than Bolin. And in both series, my favorite characters have been Bei Fongs. ;P

Ooh fun, now we're talking about favorite characters! My favorite at first was Aang, and of course he'll still always be dear to my heart. But gosh I love Azula. Obviously she is not a good person (and if I met someone like her in real life, I would stay well clear), but she sure makes for good TV. I mean, crazy power-tripping ladies? Count me in any day.

As much as I want to love Legend of Korra, it fell a little short for me. The main plot was pretty meh to begin with. TLA just felt like it had a lot more heart put into it and its characters. Not that there aren't any lovable characters in LoK - I really, really want to love it and I'm hoping season 2 blows my socks off, but as far as the first season went, it lacked a lot of the fire that TLA had. I am still looking forward to it, and will watch it, but I think Appa owns my heart forever. I just think that Bloodbending being the culprit behind LoK wasn't exciting enough as the Hundred Year War.

Favourite character? Toph, who else?! I love her stubborn, wise-cracking nature, and the fact that she's a blind earthbender AND invented metalbending, there really isn't much more to love. I'm a general fan of Earthbending, or at least how they did it in TLA - LoK has a lot more metalbending integrated into it.

I think part of the reason that the plot of LoK seemed so rushed and lackluster is because LoK was supposed to be a one-off series. Season 1 was originally gonna be the only season. That said, when they figured out they were gonna continue the series they should've revised the plot and given a bit more character exposition. They could've easily made it so that Amon and the Equalists were the series big bads. Have him taking peoples' bending left and right, people panicking and accusing Korra of being useless and letting us get to know Asami and her father before leading into the evil reveal. Heck, I adore Lin but I think it would've been interesting to see how she would've coped with having her bending gone. Perhaps seeing Tenzin and Pima feeling guilty knowing that she did that to protect them.

Welp, here's hoping that season 2 will do a better job and let us get to know Bumi (the internet's favorite 2-second character) and General Iroh (is it just me or does his voice not fit him? I know they wanted to bring back Zuzu's voice but come on!) And maybe season 3 could let us know a bit more about the grown-up Gaang. Season 4 could show the characters' overall growth and maturity and some sort of fulfilling end. Maybe have Korra and Mako break up but remain really good friends. (*sob* Maybe I should just write the series myself.)

Okay I know I said Korra was dead to me but now that we're having a discussion about it I can't walk away.

What upsets me so much about Korra is that it had so much potential... and it let down my expectations so hard. When I first saw the trailer (link here if anyone has forgotten:

), I mean, I was BLOWN AWAY. It was everything I never knew I wanted in the Avatar universe! 1920's Shanghai? Check. Technological advancements? Check. Political movements that obviously draw from history and are a commentary on the present day? Check. Another ambitious, powerful lady who is now THE AVATAR? Check. Wonderful music that I ended up playing over and over for weeks? Check, and I'm not ashamed. CRAZY AMAZING animation? Check, check, and check. I mean, look at that water! Look at that fire! Sweet, sweet, liquid beauty. I was ready to give a tearful farewell to the ATLA crew and say, "I loved you guys, but your time has come. The next generation of Avatar is going to be even more amazing!"

Then I actually watched the show and it all went downhill from there.

First of all I just want to say Bubbleline, I loved your rant there.(Not being sarcastic.) I agree with you.

And as for favorite characters, I liked Zuko :wub_anim: but my real favorite character was Jin. I don't know if I support Maiko or Zujin though. (even though Maiko is in my username, I like Zujin)

And in response to you,

I shall say: Uncle, that's what ALL tea is.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to know that my random rant was appreciated. I've seen Jin and Zujin mentioned a few times, but I'd forgotten who Jin was! I forgot about that cute girl Zuko met as Lee in the Earth Kingdom. To me, Jin never really had a chance with Zuko. And as a character, she was forgettable. I felt bad for her because of her doomed crush, but that's about it. That said, I never really liked Maiko, either. I loved Mai as a character and I adored Zuko as a character, but I really didn't like them as a couple. *shrug* I preferred to imagine Zuko getting with the mysterious older lady, June. But don't get me started on shipping. I have soooo many shipper feels for the Avatar universe.

• 3 weeks later...

I like A:TLA much more than Korra! Korra's good, but I feel like they've focused too much on the romantic side of the story. A:TLA had parts of that, but it was much more well-balanced (and, not to be That Person, but I don't like the implications of going from a show with a male hero that focused less on romance to a show with a female hero where they brought a love plotline to the forefront). I have higher hopes for the next season of Korra, but I still don't think it'll ever match A:TLA for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hm. This actually stumped me a little bit. Of course Avatar: the Last Airbender(A:tLA) will always have a place in my heart, and the storyline and characters are beautiful and well thought out.

In the spirit of being honest, though, The Legend of Korra(LoK) appeals to me a lot more on many levels. I absolutely LOVE the style they used for it. It's so soft and smooth, and the worldbuilding and the story they've told and implied with it is just incredible. It is truly fascinating to see the Avatar world grow up and become more 'modern', and to see how bending changes technology and social norms. I love that the main character is a big badass girl who is essentially the opposite of our first hero, Aang. I love that she is such a flawed character, who's spoiled and wrecks things and acts impulsively, and doesn't understand things. I love, love, LOVE, that she is not related to anyone in the A:tLA world. It would have been so easy for them to have the characters all be descendants of our old heroes to please the fans, but they've created new, interesting, lovely characters who stand up all on their own. I love the Tarrlok/Noatak storyline and their tragic end. And OH MY GOD do I love Lin Bei Fong. But that's a very long rant that doesn't belong here.

As much as I love A:tLA, LoK would win my affections by a landslide if it weren't for its giant throbbing letdown, which as we all know, is its writing. There are many excuses thrown around in this department, which I think has been touched on already on a bit in this forum topic. The time limit, the fact that the two creators decided to write the whole script themselves, the number of subplots going on, etc etc. If the stupid cliche love triangle had been throw out, if poor Bolin and Mako had a little bit of character development, if there had been an actual resolution to the Mako x Asami relationship, if the ending hadn't been 'Aang comes back and saves bending! Korra didn't actually have to do very much :/', if Lin MOTHERMETALBENDING Beifong hadn't been forced into a scorned ex-lover spot with Tenzin, if the series had been better paced, IF MIKE AND BRYAN(the creators of avatar/korra) HAD HIRED ACTUAL WRITERS, then there is no doubt in my mind that I'd love The Legend of Korra even more than Avatar: The Last Airbender. It makes me sad to think that, but also hopeful.

Because there's still more to come from Korra, and it's looking like it's only going to get better. So I'm just gonna sit here and cross my fingers and hope that they've gotten really good writers who will bring up the character development and pacing to the level the rest of the series is at. I'm going to say that Season 2 will be better, and I hope I won't be eating my words once it comes out.

So, those are my thoughts. And since people were talking about favorite characters earlier, I'll add that my favorite character is Azula. I mean, what a tragically beautiful character! So misguided and spiteful. Her downfall made me cry and silently cheer at the same time. It was just too perfect. I still need to catch up on the comics to see how she's fairing after the war. I hear they sent her to a mental institution or some such. It'll be interesting to see what they're like in the Avatar universe :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...