More clarifications needed for the new faerie abilities

So particularly, I am talking about the level 25 and level 50 abilities...

For Sear, it is mentioned as "This ability inflicts 4 fire.png icons, then another 4 fire.png icons the next round for a total of 8 fire.png."

So does it mean that if I keep using Sear in every round, I will have 4 icons in the first round, and 8 icons for other rounds (4 icons carried forwarded from last round + 4 for this round).... I am not sure if I take this right or not.... If it is the case, it may look better than "An icicle" for level 25...

For Lens Flare, I just do not really understand what is meant by once per battle, so it means the opponent will be freezed by one round only? So is it equivalent to a once per battle full blocker? Simply does not get the idea of freezing...

So particularly, I am talking about the level 25 and level 50 abilities...

For Sear, it is mentioned as "This ability inflicts 4 fire.png icons, then another 4 fire.png icons the next round for a total of 8 fire.png."

So does it mean that if I keep using Sear in every round, I will have 4 icons in the first round, and 8 icons for other rounds (4 icons carried forwarded from last round + 4 for this round).... I am not sure if I take this right or not.... If it is the case, it may look better than "An icicle" for level 25...

For Lens Flare, I just do not really understand what is meant by once per battle, so it means the opponent will be freezed by one round only? So is it equivalent to a once per battle full blocker? Simply does not get the idea of freezing...

For sear, on the first round deals 4 fire icons and will deal an additional 4 fire icons on the next turn. You don't need to use Sear again for the next round. If you don't want the damage to be overwritten, use an defensive ability. For Lens Flare, the opponent will not be able to use the weapons that he chose for that round. It can only be used Once per Battle.

See: http://www.neopets.com/~_mariokart_#Abilities

Thanks for the reply,

So in particular, i am thinking Sear will be super good as it can translate to 8 icons every round if I use this ability every round, that makes me interested in this one....

Sounds it actually works in the way how I think

I haven't tried out Sear, but I expect it to work as you say. So when you use it on the second round, I expect it will do a total of 8 extra icons, using the lingering 4 from the previous round and the new 4 from the current round. If it doesn't, please let us know and we will clarify on the Battlepedia.

And yes, Lens Flare acts much like a full blocker. The difference between Lens Flare and a full blocker is that if an opponent uses a one-use or a once-per-battle weapon, they will still be able to use it later in the battle. For example, if you're fighting the Giant Ghostkerchief, and on the first round he uses Ghostkerbomb while you use your Lens Flare, you may see him use Ghostkerbomb again on the next round or later in the battle.

Edit: According to _mariokart_'s petpage (linked above), it looks like Sear has a cool-down needed so you can't select it on the second round. We will have to do more testing for the Battlepedia.

Edited by Lamppost

Very subtle differences with Lens Flare, it is different from a full blocker like TSBomb or a Freezer. Not only the differences mentioned above, but with a Thick Smoke bomb your opponent could still have used shields to stop your attack. With Lens Flare, you attack with your two most powerful weapons all the while your opponent is helpless.

Currently, I have Warlock's Rage, Lens Flare and Magic Marbles. On round 1 I can attack with two weapons and Warlock's Rage, my opponent can not attack.

Second round Lens Flare, one weapon and Magic Marbles, opponent can not attack.

Round three Opponent is frozen from the MMoM attack in round two, use two attack weapons and Icicle for full attack.

I see no difference between lens flare and warlock's rage.

I just got Warlock's Rage and gave it a shot against the new Zombie opponent. The Zombie was still able to use the Shade Skill, even though Warlocks Rage prevented him from using his weapons, I've noticed that Lens Flare also allows the opponent to still use a skill.

I think that this is interesting, as one would think there'd be some difference, aside from the blessing prices. However, having both skills and a freezer, as you said Coltom, allows for basically a 3 round fight where the opponent couldn't use any weapons, just skills, and that would be for only two rounds, as the frozen round should prevent any skills from being used. For a pet that is weaker but going against a greater opponent, this would allow them to get much farther, even if they only had the abilties and not the freezing weapon, 2 rounds without the use of weapons would make many of the regular battledome challengers, almost insanely easier!

Ah, but you guys forget that the regular BD challengers might have abilities added to their repertoire once this war is over. And so some of them might be able to freeze us for three rounds in a row soon. Eep!

LOL I didn't forget, it just hasn't come up in a conversation I've been involved in... until now. ;) (Thanks for bringing it up) And I'm sure there are a number of others who thought that up too. Especially seeing how these wave 2 guys can use more than just the lowest abilities, like Wave 1 could. Wave 2 only confirms that things are going to get more INTERESTING, with the possibilities of Wave 3, their level and their skills, along with whatever their equipment might be. ;)

So it COULD turn into a case of lens flare vs lens flare, like the old days of Freezer vs Freezer on the first move.

I think that the war was one of those pretense things, In PART to take down the regular challengers and update them without having to shut down the BD and catching flack from up users. ;)

Of course this is purely speculation on my part. But it's an interesting coincidence if that speculation is wrong. lol Anyway, we needed a good war. Been faaaaaaaaaaaaaar too long since we had one like this. :D

Haha, yeah, I was thinking the same thing as I posted that -- the reason the BD coders can't "fix" things like no HP increases for later waves of this war is that they're busy adding abilities to the regular challengers. And I've heard rumors that stances will be making a comeback soon, too. Plus... whatever this obelisk unleashes on us. Personally, I'd love to see agility factor into the BD (a chance to strike first or avoid an attack), though I know others would be very against that.

I do wonder how the abilities will be changed, though. I went ahead and bought Shhh! because I had enough bottled faeries for it (I cashed in my unidentifiables and got a ton of earth), and today I earned enough light blessings to be able to switch over to Lens Flare. I haven't done it yet because I'm still bug-squishing, and I don't want to "waste" the blessings in case things change.

LOL Finally! Someone else who likes agility! :D I trained Agility up to somewhere above 100, and then learned it wasn't used in the BD, but when Heavy Robe of Thievery was released, I didn't TRAIN persay, but relied on faerie quests and Kitchen quests to boost it up. Though I never turn down an air faerie quest unless she's asking for something insanely high-priced. lol Up to 4-5k I'm good with though. Just in case movement comes more into the battle equation. Like Brightvale brought Intelligence into the BD for a good chunk of battlers. My agility is over 300 now. Instead of "First to click" stuff in 2-player, it'd be fun if it was the faster pet that got to go first. ;) Though I almost never 2-player battle. lol

I went with the Air Faerie for Throw Pillows approach, and then switched it to Lens Flare. Light Faeries are important, maybe TOO important for the best of some of the new abilities.

I've heard that stances may come back too, though I've wondered about those with abilities like Cranky and Meh! They seem to be somewhat effective. I don't have them, but some of the War opponents do and have used them against me.

Stances are coming back. In the HTML code for the battledome page, there is an embedded menu for the stances. This orphaned code does not link to an actual item, so it is most likely that it will be linked to a new menu in the near future.