Beginner weapons

essiw

Hi all, I am fairly new to neopets, I have discovered all the basics and even a lot of advanced stuff, I am currently training and battling everyday to prepare for the war.

My stats are

Lvl : 16

Str : 20

Def : 20

Mov : 12

Hp : 15 / 26

Level and Mov are higher then needed because of the shrine (and feary quests), I am currently training str and def.

But what my real question is, what are the best weapon as a beginner, I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on it, I would prefer to keep it below 100K, I already have the scarab ring, furthermore I have the hand painted scarab and a stone shield and more rubbish.

So to prepare for war, which items should I buy, if they are not below 100k please keep advise what other low cost items I could use (I now have a million NP [pure cash] but I don't want to spend it all on weapons)

I highly suggest you train to the 35 boost first.

For your set:

Constants/Dual-Duties:

Scarab Ring

Ridiculously Heavy Battle Hammer

Oversized Maractite Rune Sword

Gilded War Hammer

Notes: Those listed above are only some of the weapons you can use. See Basic Weapon Sets in the TDN battlepedia for more details.

Defense:

Leaf Shield

Patched Magic Hat

Parchment CloakSliper

Virtupets X-514 Super Shield

Notes: Those listed above are only some of the weapons you can use. See Basic Weapon Sets in the TDN battlepedia for more details.

Situational:

Parasol of Unfortunate Demise

Bomb:

Any 15 icon muffin

One-Use Dual Duty:

Slippery Floor Potion

Freezer:

You don't need one right now.

Healing:

Lesser Healing Scroll

Misc:

Downsize!

Thanks both :D I got the ability already, and the healing ability.

I will look at the items you provided and at the guide you refer to :) But what do you mean with "I highly suggest you train to the 35 boost first." ?

What he means is you should train your strength and defense to 35 in order to get a "boost" which is explained in TDN's battlepedia here - http://battlepedia.thedailyneopets.com/index.php/articles/viewarticle/battle-strength-defense-boosts/

Basically it up's your attack and defense. You don't have to have one to have the other... so in my humble suggestion you should train up to the strength boost first, then work on your defense during the plot. Since there isn't a whole lot of time before the plot actually begins. If I were you I would focus more on HP than defense at the moment. Have you considered asking a friend if you could borrow something like a blue, green, or bronze scorchstone? You can look up all the top rated weapons on the battlepedia also, and see which ones are in your price range.

Thanks for the explaining, I don't have much friends, the only one I really know started a few days before me, so borrowing is not really an option, but thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah I feel stupid for not training earlier, but the game is so big and I had so much to figure out ;)

Don't feel stupid. Lots of people don't understand boosts or the importance of training. But consider this: a pet with a Scarab Ring and 400 strength does 51 damage, while a pet with a Super Attack Pea and 20 strength does only 40 damage.

As Rockyroad1 said, your best bet is to choose some weapons from the Battlepedia's Basic Weapon Sets. You can mix and match from the different sets, so if you can afford weapons from the intermediate set, go for it. If not, start with the ones in the beginner set, and you can upgrade later.

I have one more question, Which abilities should I get, the neopets page where you can get the abilities, is not very informative about the effects. And I would like to only collect fearie bottles for the abilities I need.

Check out our Faerie Abilities Guide over at the Battlepedia. It details the effects of all of the abilities and answers questions you may have about blessing or training.

I personally haven't tried any of them yet besides Static Cling, but so far I really like it. It's 3 free icons! When I get more faeries, I'm eyeing Cranky, Lens Flare, Warlock's Rage, and Rejuvenate. I haven't thought much about the other tiers.

Thanks :D I missed the reply because notifications don't work anymore on this forum...

I am wondering, is it better to have two scarab rings or to have one scarab ring and one gilded war hammer? I also think one use items (unless they are 5NP or so) are a bit expensive. So my set would look like:

2 scarab rings (if this is better then two different items)

1 leaf shield

1 magic healing potion

maybe one green frost canon or snowbal glove staff? are those needed?

Am I missing things?

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Zombiiesque) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please don't double post. If you would like to add something, use the 'Edit' button.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

People have different opinions on whether it is easier to block a variety of icons or a large amount of the same icon. However, I would pick two different dual duties instead of two Scarab Rings because it gives you a greater variety of defense icons, which makes it more likely that you'll have some damage blocked. However, I recommend Snowager Sword over Gilded War Hammer.

You can get a cheap freezer if you want, but honestly it may be a waste for you. Snowglobe Staff has a 20% chance of freezing, which means that on average you would have to use it for 5 turns to get a freeze. That's 4 turns that one weapon slot is taken up and not doing much of anything. I think you can use that slot more effectively. Instead of getting a freezer now, start saving up for faerie abilities like Lens Flare.

You should also look into picking up a Downsize! since it's multi-use and a very effective defensive weapon. You could also pick up some more shields and alter which shield you use based on your opponent's most commonly used icons. Alternatively, you could get some 50% reflectors to rotate into your set, like Shovel Plus or Expert Lens. They are very cheap and can be very effective.

Thanks :D A snowager sword is it then (the prices are just enourmously high so I hope that one is not so much as the shield was). So no freezer, and how long does downsize/shovel/lens work before they break? I am not sure if I can guess when a NPC will use a bomb though.

Most of the 50% reflectors have a 1% chance of breaking. Plus, they are so cheap to begin with that I probably wouldn't be that upset when it broke. Expert Lens, for example, can easily be obtained for 1 NP. The most expensive one is Shovel Plus, which is only about 10k right now. Most of them like Turbo Flame Reflector are 3k-5k.

Expert lens is non-fragile and cheaper than the identical-effect dual battle mirror. Reflectors are awesome for low-defense pets.

I highly recommend Downsize! if you can afford it; it will probably block more for you than a shield would. If you can't (and I only offer these suggestions because you're a new player and may not know about them yet), you could start a Habitarium game; if you can leave it running in the background while doing other things, checking in on it every hour or so, you'll gain a lot of NP fairly quickly. If you have a bit more time, try playing 2-player Keyquest, aiming for gold keys -- they can drop paintbrushes, codestones, and neggs, which can be sold for decent NP on top of whatever you win in the game -- though your goal should be to end games quickly for the prizes (sometimes you'll get all junk prizes, too -- but I average at least one good prize per gold key). And/or play the following daily games 3 times each, listed in order of time taken to play: AdverVideo (let it run in a window off to the side with the sound muted so you can see it while you play the other games, and tend to it whenever the video stops), Fashion Fever (send 3 cards before sending your first score for more NP), Catch the Petpet, BTR Crowd Patrol, Splat-a-Sloth, Kass Basher (this one takes a bit more skill and can take more time to wait for the wind -- unlock the bat before sending any scores -- you'll have to unlock it once per computer, but it will stay unlocked and you can start with the bat the next day), and any easy sponsor games, just to get to 1000 NP/play (without the sponsor games, today I made 12k in less than 5min., and actually I usually play while waiting for the battle animation to play, so it costs me no real time). Right now the sponsor games are Rock the Vault (quit at 1000 points, ~15s/play -- the characters are wildcards worth 500 points each, so try to use them in combos when you can) and Get Slimed (quit at 500 points, ~40s/play) -- that's another 6k NP in 3min.

If you get Downsize! and/or the ability Lens Flare, you'll want to use stronger attack weapons instead of dual duties (or if a certain baddie doesn't use any of the icons of one of your dual duties, there's no point in using it), so you can hit as hard as possible. The battledome is dropping stone muffins, and some of the other 15-icon muffins are cheap right now, too. Or if you'd rather have repeat-use, the 11-icon scroll of knowledge is 53k (10-icon scroll of the scholar is under 15k).

Regarding training, train as often as you can. The Swashbuckling Academy costs 2 dubloons (~1500 NP) but takes 6 hours. You can train every 2 hours in the Training School, but it takes 1 codestone (which have inflated, ranging from 4k to 13k+ each). If you can afford it, I'd suggest training in the School at least a few times a day when you'll be able to start a new training after the 2 hours. If you're going to be away longer (for sleep/work/school), use the Academy. You'll need 17 trainings to get to the strength boost (you'll need 2 levels because you can't train str beyond 2x level, but hopefully fewer if you get some bonuses), so you could reach it during the next wave if you train often in the School. I'd recommend focusing on HP after that.

^Thank you for your answer, while I may be new I read nearly all of the tdn guides so I knew nearly all of those things you reccomended to get money :)

What are some cheap non-dual weapons then? I'll look into the other things you suggested, thanks :D

I rather keep training in the academy because I rather train cheap and slow then wash all my saved cash away, i am not a battledomer ;)

Well, I figured you may already know, but maybe there'd be something you didn't know. I remember how hard it was to get traction in Neopets because it was so big and I never looked offsite for guides, and it takes money to make money.

Ridiculously heavy battle hammer does 9 icons for ~2k (unless it's gone up).

Scroll of the scholar does 10 icons for ~15k.

Scroll of knowledge does 11 icons for 53k.

Battle muffins do 15 icons, but they're one use (you may get some for free from drops, but you could also sell them to others and get one or two of the above).

Depending on what defenses the opponents have, one of these might be superior to the others (and it will change for each opponent). No one knows what the opponents will have until the new wave is released. But often people will share recommendations based on a specific opponent once the new wave is released.

All of the above are "inflated" right now, but they were previously deflated anyway because TNT gave away a ton of them. I paid 15k for one scarab ring back in the day (inflated plot price), and Ylanas blasters (13 icons) sells for 1M during non-plot. So 11 icons for 50k is still a decent deal. I regret not investing in training and better weapons for some of my earlier plots. It cost me plot points and kept me from some of the better prizes. Even when I overpaid for my scarab rings and leaf shield, I made the money back in additional plot prizes, despite having not-very-trained pets. But I also didn't completely decimate my bank account because I wanted the higher interest rates. We also don't know what's coming -- we know there will be harder baddies, but we don't know if TNT will allow weaker pets to still complete each wave's bars by just doing a megaton of battles against weaker opponents. So you could do a wait-and-see on weapons while you train (the downside is that if the baddies do get harder, prices might inflate even more).

You've just got to do what feels comfortable for you -- I'm more of a saver, so it's tough for me to spend a lot of NP on anything, whereas I treat training like a daily. It doesn't hurt nearly as much when it's just a few thousand NP every day -- even though if you add up how much I've spent training, it would probably be several million NP (over several years). There are many ways to play NP, and no way is better than another. So just do what feels right for you at the time. Even though I mentioned "regrets" earlier, it was all part of learning to do better in the game, so it's not a strong regret.

Regarding when to use which weapons, I think you'll have to experiment and find a strategy that works best for you. Some like to play it slow-and-steady, using dual-duties. Others go in with both guns blazing. I usually start off conservatively (using shields, etc.), and then decreasing my usage of them (replacing them with more offensive weapons) until I start to struggle, just to make the battles go quicker. In TFR, I had dual Ylanas blasters, and found myself doing much better attacking with both each round than if I ever used my leaf shield (until TNT gave me downsize! and some of the reflectors, which helped me cap out against all the baddies). But I can't remember what my strength and defense boosts were, so I can't say that would always be the best policy.