Inflation of Codestones

It's just one of those random things. I've been only fighting Jetsam Ace, and I've been getting usually at least 1-2 Nerkmids a day, with maybe 1-3 codestones. (Sometimes one is red) Already today, out of 3 battles, I've gotten a Nova (which is what I needed for today's faerie quest), a nerkmid, and a codestone.

I haven't been training, so I've been building up a decent stock pile of codestones so I can go longer without buying them once the FQ event is over and I start training again.

• 2 weeks later...

No motivation to do this regularly. Have been putting this off too long. Anyway, let's fetch our prices.

Price Check:

Vo: 12.2k (-1k)

Eo: 12k (-2.3k)
Lu: 12.2k (-0.4k)
Zei: 7.8k (-1.7k)

Tai-Kai: 5k (-0.5k)

Har: 4.2k (-0.3k)

Orn: 4.3k (-0.3k)

Main: 3.7k (-0.5k)

Bri: 4.2k (-0.6k)

Mau: 4.15k (-0.15k)

Total: 70.15k (DOWN 7.75k in 244 HOURS)

Some across the board drops...

The reds did indeed increase -- average was 7200 on Wed. morning, and it jumped up to 8500 by Saturday morning, though they'd already started dropping by Sat. afternoon, and were approaching their old prices by this afternoon. (I know all this because I was monitoring them to calculate how much I was saving with my FQ boon.)

18,500 NP is what the LOWEST price on the Wiz is right now, and that user has 43 of them. I paid about that for a Zed last night. I think they MAY have gone up due to the upcoming skirmish between the 3 different factions. So, after the skirmish it will be interesting to see if the codestone prices, both in general and the Zeds, goes down a bit. Anything this close to 20k is just piracy, heck, I feel anything over 14k is plain out highway robbery as matters of ONE codestone, when there IS more supply than their used to be.

18,500 NP is what the LOWEST price on the Wiz is right now, and that user has 43 of them. I paid about that for a Zed last night. I think they MAY have gone up due to the upcoming skirmish between the 3 different factions. So, after the skirmish it will be interesting to see if the codestone prices, both in general and the Zeds, goes down a bit. Anything this close to 20k is just piracy, heck, I feel anything over 14k is plain out highway robbery as matters of ONE codestone, when there IS more supply than their used to be.

Agreed. >.> I am so unimpressed with this. Almost every one of my courses has been asking for a Zed now- ugh!

I'm hoping that in a couple months, when most people have the avatars from the skirmishes, codestone prices come right down again.

I was asked for double zeds today. The inflation would have made it cost a whole extra codestone's worth on top of the bad luck of getting double zeds (i.e., 5 codestones' worth of NP instead of the 2 I'm training at). So yeah, I canceled it. Last time, it dropped back down after a few days. If I get a zed from the BD, I'll use it, but I can choose not to be ripped off. So I will.

I played three games of KQ today and got no codestones at all, just 6 negg tokens. I do fear that as more and more people move into reds, the costs will go up. Right now I appreciate the cheap training, but I wonder whether I should invest several hundred thousand buying extra reds (gradually, so I don't cause inflation all by my lonesome).

I was asked for double zeds today. The inflation would have made it cost a whole extra codestone's worth on top of the bad luck of getting double zeds (i.e., 5 codestones' worth of NP instead of the 2 I'm training at). So yeah, I canceled it. Last time, it dropped back down after a few days. If I get a zed from the BD, I'll use it, but I can choose not to be ripped off. So I will.

I played three games of KQ today and got no codestones at all, just 6 negg tokens. I do fear that as more and more people move into reds, the costs will go up. Right now I appreciate the cheap training, but I wonder whether I should invest several hundred thousand buying extra reds (gradually, so I don't cause inflation all by my lonesome).

Yes, double Zeds are a headache.

Anyway, this ~70k per set prices makes me want to wait for lower prices. I have enough codestones for 100 more training anyway + whatever I get from KQ and BD.

Do you think its still a good idea to go straight for Ninja training now that the red codestones are inflating? I´m not in the mood for 18 hours training with 7 codestones anymore but I´m afraid that the red ones inflate too much until I can train with them. I saved 162 red CS until now.

My stats are

Lvl : 160
Str : 300
Def : 303
Mov : 80
Hp : 301

Yes, it's a good time to power-train to level 250. Gradually stockpile red codestones. You just reached the 300 boost, which is good.

Although I forecast red codestones going up in price as more pets reach level 250.

Yes, it's a good time to power-train to level 250. Gradually stockpile red codestones. You just reached the 300 boost, which is good.

Although I forecast red codestones going up in price as more pets reach level 250.

Yeah I think we had this discussion earlier in this thread before.

It's really a great unkown because BD is still in BETA. Since this is TNT, I expect the BETA phase to be around for at least another 6 months...

It'll take you 3 months to power-train to reds (I assume every 18 hours becomes more like every 24 hours because of sleep, etc.). Right now, regulars are about 1.5k less than reds, on average, and dropping. Meanwhile, reds are rising and will continue to do so as demand continues to increase. So what will it be 3 months from now, assuming today's prices? 8 x regular = ~56k per training. 1 x red = ~8.5k per training.

Now let's assume reds double in price (possible, but probably unlikely in three months), and regulars halve in price (not very likely, but this will give the biggest difference). 8 x regular = ~28k per training. 1 x red = ~17k per training. Assuming regulars stay relatively constant, reds would have to rise to where they were in price before BD beta opened. Which, if TNT stops the daily battle drops, they would, very quickly, but I don't think TNT is likely to do that; this seems like a permanent feature of the new BD.

So yeah, in your case, I think it's probably a pretty safe bet to power through. It'll take 600 trainings to catch your other stats up, but you'll be able to train every 2 hours -- if you can manage 5 trainings a day, it'd only take another 4 months (so 7 months total, vs. nearly 2 years if you stuck with regulars*). If you can use Count Von Roo, that could help too. I'd suggest scratchcards, but only if you have 1 pet. (I've had several friends tell me that you can gain a level for your battle pet, but I've probably gained at least 20 levels by cards over the years, and not a single one has ever gone to my battle pet. Ever. I even thought maybe the active pet couldn't get it, but my friend swears it can.)

*I'm so jealous, by the way. I slogged through the years of training because red codestone training was so much more expensive back then. You guys can train so fast now!

lol Siniri, I remember when the Red Stones came out, even Mags, were well OVER 100k for just ONE. You'd have to either use the TP or Auctions to find any red stones.

So yeah, we're really lucky right now. As long as there's not a rush for the Reds, to force prices up even higher. :-\

Why didn't everyone burn up their regular codestones making reds back then? (I know, you're not guaranteed a specific one, but if they're all more expensive then the regular set, it doesn't seem like it'd much matter... it's all instant profit). All these lost opportunities when I could have made NP, if only I kept up with the news. Or knew what I was doing. I pretty much wasted my first 5 years on Neopets.

Anyway, I don't think the average red will ever go back above the cost of the regular set, no matter how much the demand shifts. Except, of course, regulars would also go up. But TNT could just dump even more on the market with another new daily.

Thank you all :-)

89 levels to go then b)

You are not alone, I switched to training just level a month ago and working my way up very gradually, am level 154 ...but its so boring because you dont have the excitement of the power boosts when training strength and defence

The price of codestones changing still makes it the best option, I think ,though and I can hardly wait to reach the magic 250 so I can start using reds at long last.

I think red codestones are bound to keep creeping up in price as a lot of people are doing this now, and I am keeping any I win now.

Im also using Faerie Quest Cookies to try to save on Codestones

You are not alone, I switched to training just level a month ago and working my way up very gradually, am level 154 ...but its so boring because you dont have the excitement of the power boosts when training strength and defence

The price of codestones changing still makes it the best option, I think ,though and I can hardly wait to reach the magic 250 so I can start using reds at long last.

I think red codestones are bound to keep creeping up in price as a lot of people are doing this now, and I am keeping any I win now.

Im also using Faerie Quest Cookies to try to save on Codestones

Yeah, make sure to keep the reds you get. I have a stash of 350 reds in my SDB now all obtained from BD beta. Thus, for me it`s safe to start training levels because I have enough backups.

yes I have got backup in mind, it would be just horrible to go through all this only to find the reds were back up to the old prices and I couldnt afford to train up anyway !!!! arggggg I wouldnt put it past TNT to pull a sneaky one like that either ..it was thier editorial that got me training with reds this way so it could be just a sneeky trick, and when we are all nicely training away they withdraw lots of reds and hike the price .... wicked little monkeys that they are

eek eek I dooooo hope its just paranoia :dance:

********** 1 17,525 NP ********** 1 17,550 NP *************** 1 17,948 NP ******* 2 18,000 NP ************** 1 18,800 NP ************** 41 18,900 NP

So some are FINALLY putting some Zeds up under 18900, still INSANE inflation imho. Especially just for the skirmishes. *sigh* And demand will keep getting higher. >_>

********** 1 17,525 NP ********** 1 17,550 NP *************** 1 17,948 NP ******* 2 18,000 NP ************** 1 18,800 NP ************** 41 18,900 NP

So some are FINALLY putting some Zeds up under 18900, still INSANE inflation imho. Especially just for the skirmishes. *sigh* And demand will keep getting higher. >_>

I sold mine yesterday for 18.4k apiece. Good thing I sold my rotting BD/KQ/dailies items yesterday, especially that Zed.

With the prices of codestones going nuts I sometimes ask myself why am I bothering to train anyway ???? I must be pouring everything I earn into training and at times I wonder if its really worth while...why did I want a battle-pet anyway, I can probably do a reasonable job in the battledome at the moment anyway as the recent war showed

Being stubborn I expect I will keep training though, I just cant remember why I thought it would be such a good idea in the first place and I wonder if a lot of people are like that and thats why the codestones are inflating so much.