Nay for quitting cigarettes.

anorexorcist

I'm on day 1. any tips?

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please keep your posts at 7 words or above.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Try to avoid triggers, like maybe you used to have a coffee with your cigarette, the coffee could make you want to smoke again. I recommend you try gum but I warn you that it may actually make you want to smoke more. I have no idea why, I just know a person gum doesn't work for.

Think of the reason you smoke, and try to do something else that fulfills that reason (i.e. having something to do with your hands, boredom, stress).

reference: My grandmother, who hasn't had a cigarette in going on 10 years after smoking since the age of 18

Edit: I forgot to mention, good luck!

Quitting smoking is definitely not fun, but yay for making the effort to, though! I've switched to electronic cigarettes around 3 years ago and I'm now starting to want to quit those too, because I have issues with the latest nicotine juice we've bought. It makes my throat swollen (scary). I still have some of the old stuff that hasn't given me problems, which I'm using now, but this experience has made me want to quit completely. Thinking about trying the patches instead.

If I were you I'd try the gum because it helps with the oral fixation part of smoking, which is still gonna be a problem for you because you're doing the E-cigarettes.

Plus, the patches are known to give you itchy spots, hives, fever. I think they're easier to get nicotine overdose on too.

Eep. That doesn't sound good. The oral fixation isn't a huge deal for me anymore. I mean, it's there, but the times I've tried to quit the e-cigs, it's the lack of nicotine that has pulled me back. There's a new(ish) nicotine spray on the market that could be good. Not crazy about the gum, but maybe a low dosage of nicotine could be okay. I tried my grandmother's gum once, and it was like a nicotine assault on my body.

I applaud you for making the step to quitting! It's not an easy one to take.

My husband is still struggling to quit for close to a year now. He went to a Stop Smoking Seminar which was kind of like a hypnotism and that helped him quite a bit. Now he's slowly cutting back and I think the fact that he has to go outside in the freezing cold is helping too.

Good Luck! :)

I applaud you for trying to quit! It's something I'm trying to do myself, and not exactly succeeding at unfortunatley.

I recommend you give yourself a little reward each week that goes by without smoking. Like going out to a nice dinner, buying a new shirt, going to a movie, etc. It will help keep you motivated! All that money you spent on cigarettes can be put towards things that will actually relax you.

Lots of support from friends and family will help. As well as avoiding triggers like the first comment said.

I wish you the best of luck! I know it's definitley not an easy thing to do. Good news is the side effects should last you only about two weeks. You can also use a technique that tricks you brain, which is what my mother in law did. Every time she was about to light up she thought about something discusting, negative reinforment I guess you could say. For example: "I'm inhaling poision" "This will kill me" "I don't want to die young" "I don't want to smell like smoke" Pretty much all of the reasons you want to quit. If your mind finds cigarettes gross then you won't have that craving anymore. :)

Stay away from friends who smoke and areas that trigger smoking (like the pub for me). You have to replace the habit with something else - something healthier or much more constructive of course! You need to make sure your will power is strong and keep telling yourself that you can do it and you're doing it for yourself, no one else.

I can't quit cold turkey, but I cut down from almost two packets a day to two packets a week within a year and it's been difficult because all my friends are smokers and I work in the nursing industry but I'm getting there slowly. I hope to be rid of the habit completely by the end of the year, but I don't think that will happen midway through uni and stress at work. Eeep.

Good luck! It takes a lot of courage to quit!

Me and my boyfriend both woke up crying this morning. It's terrible. You don't realize how much it affects your sleep schedule and concentration until you're two days in. =(

At least it hasn't been making me eat more. I was worried about gaining weight.

Two days! Well done!

I had decided to quit the nicotine too, but I was in pieces within the day (worse than when I'm PMS'ing). I had bought that spray I mentioned earlier, but that was just weird (and expensive) and I seriously felt like I'd been scammed. I think the electronic cigarettes are better than spraying nicotine directly into your mouth. Also weirded out by the instructions and side-effects. Some nasty stuff there.

I'm going to try to cut down instead, and then maybe I'll someday be able to quit entirely.

I'm really impressed by your ability to stick it out for two days, and I think that when you've gotten this far, you have a good chance of succeeding :)

As an update: We have not smoked since we quit, and neither have us have been using the gum since day two. =) So It looks like quitting was a great success.

Also, I feel less anxious and I sleep like a rock now.

This was the best decision I've ever made.

As an update: We have not smoked since we quit, and neither have us have been using the gum since day two. =) So It looks like quitting was a great success.

I'm really amazed to hear this. Gives me hope that one day I will succeed in kicking this nasty habit as well. Take care and enjoy your smoke-free life! :) I'm so glad you are doing well hun. Just keep moving forward.

You're amazing! *high five* Enjoy your enhanced sense of smell and taste :D

Omg, yeah stuff tastes SOOOOOOO much better. The other day I ate some Sour Patch Kids and was overwhelmed by the flavor of them. I was used to them tasting kind of bland, to be honest.

And the thing I was worried about most was the weight gain and there's been none of that because we've been penny pinching for food. I'm happy we quit when we did, because money was tight this month even without paying 5 bucks every two days.

Omg, yeah stuff tastes SOOOOOOO much better. The other day I ate some Sour Patch Kids and was overwhelmed by the flavor of them. I was used to them tasting kind of bland, to be honest.

And the thing I was worried about most was the weight gain and there's been none of that because we've been penny pinching for food. I'm happy we quit when we did, because money was tight this month even without paying 5 bucks every two days.

Yes, yes, yes! I think the money I'm spending on cigs is the biggest motivator for me to quit. I mean come on, I could use that money on things that matter, like neocash! :woot: LOL. No, but in all seriousness, good for you hun. Quitting them is a very difficult thing to do but I'm so glad you were able to kick the habit relatively easily. There are so many benefits to quitting.