do you think this was mean of me?

moldybread

okay so i found a trade with an item i wanted in it, and i neomailed the owner to negotiate a price. i told them the amount they wanted was fine w/ me and like a day later they put the individual trade up. well during the day it took for them to respond i decided on something else i wanted and in order to afford it i wouldnt be able to buy this item. i neomailed them about this and wished them good luck trading but their response was just three dots. i feel really bad now :( i hate doing that to people

it sounds like you did exactly the right thing. It's natural for the seller to be a little miffed, especially if maybe they've been trying to sell for a while, but at least you had the politeness to tell them you didn't want the item, as opposed to just not neomailing them at all, which is what many people would do.

I agree with the others. I have been on both ends of this situation. And believe me, it's rare that people let you know when these things happen. I would much rather get a response than the item just sit there when I was expecting an offer. And I always tend to let people know when I am the one offering like you did when it does happen and although they get a little annoyed they understand. It's possible the person hadn't been in that predicament before. You did nothing wrong :)

If I were the seller I would appreciate the NM very much (ok so maybe I would facepalm a bit but still I'd thank you for the reply).

What ticks me off is the lack of response. Like, hellloooo what happened over at your end? Did you fall into the Rainbow Pool? Is that a no? (& really is it so hard to type that?) That gets really frustrating at the TP, when I'm trying to haggle, either as a seller or buyer. Talk to me & allow me to help us reach a deal or at least have the courtesy to follow up D:

Yup, as dummydumpty so eloquently said, haters gonna hate :) You were polite and courteous and many people would appreciate your thoughtfulness and shoot you back a NM to thank you! I think that this person just overreacted. I know it doesn't feel good when you know you made someone else mad, but you have to do what's best for you and they would do the same thing back - nothing wrong with that.