Dyeing your pet, painting it's nails (Is it okay TO YOU?)

internalxorgans

I don't recall this topic being in a thread yet and if it has then I am sorry. This is a topic I am up to debate with. People always seem to get upset when they see pictures or pets that have been dyed or dressed up. Frankly, I don't give a but I think dressing a pet up in ridiculous clothing all the time isn't okay. People always say oh, that's not right or bla bla bla, you are hurting the dog. How do you know what the pet wants? How do you know whether the pet is satisfied or he/she is upset. You don't because you aren't the animal. Not only that, it's not your animal. Usually the people dyeing their animal is using dyes that won't hurt the cat or dog. What do you think?

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not use curse words in your posts. These have been removed.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie).

The topic was posted in the wrong area.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this topic.

Per the reason above, this topic has been MOVED from ‘Neopets Debate’ to ‘The Debate Chat’.

As long as the pet isn't uncomfortable and its health isn't damaged, it's not unacceptable to me. I won't say it's acceptable, but it's not unacceptable, because I've seen some horrid examples of "pet beautifying" that probably are ethically defendable but just not pretty :P

I can see that. :)

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please keep your posts at 7 words or above.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Personally, I am completely against this. Does the pet get any sort of enjoyment from it? NO. It's usually stressful. Humans should stop trying to treat there pets like there children. They are not kids or humans they are animals. They aren't superficial. They don't care what they look like. Yeah, it might be "all cute" to you.... but I find it very distasteful. Whenever I see a dog or cat dressed up in clothes they look miserable, and that makes me sad. :(

Honestly I'm against these actions ... pets should be groomed but painting their nails or dying their fur is just un-natural

A lot of things are unnatural but we still do it. People (and if you have) dye their hair and that's not natural or right, so what are you trying to say? Some people do it because they want their pet to look different, they don't want their pet looking normal, I wouldn't.

Personally, I am completely against this. Does the pet get any sort of enjoyment from it? NO. It's usually stressful. Humans should stop trying to treat there pets like there children. They are not kids or humans they are animals. They aren't superficial. They don't care what they look like. Yeah, it might be "all cute" to you.... but I find it very distasteful. Whenever I see a dog or cat dressed up in clothes they look miserable, and that makes me sad. :(

I think you are being hypocritical. You say pets aren't humans and that we should stop treating them like children but humans and if you have, dye their hair and that's not right. Is it okay to dye a human's hair a crazy color but not a pet? Honestly, no one knows how an animal feels whether they like the clothes or not but I wouldn't be dressing up my pet because I have more important things to be doing.

Please don't double post. If you would like to add something, use the 'Edit' button.

As a Veterinary Assistant Graduate I am against doing this as a daily thing, but once in a while and only a little bit, like a green tail for christmas, is perfectly acceptable and does not stress an animal out any more then a bath does

As a Veterinary Assistant Graduate I am against doing this as a daily thing, but once in a while and only a little bit, like a green tail for christmas, is perfectly acceptable and does not stress an animal out any more then a bath does

I agree. I think dying the animal every single day could piss it off or stress them out. :shiftyeyes_anim:

If there's no harmful chemicals involved, then i'm not against it, the worst you could do is agitate your pet, which in my opinion isn't animal abuse, as long as you don't dye your pets fur TOO often. Even though i know i'm comparing animals to humans, we all get a little agitated sometimes. Besides, the owners who take time to dye their pets fur usually spoil their pets. Dressing up your pet, some dogs seem to like it, (for example, my dog loves its coat in the winter, for obvious reasons though.) but i wouldn't recommend it unless you know your dog well.

Pets are just... pets. I think they have their own routines and way of living, so I wouldn't say that it's acceptable. But it's not illegal and if you want to do it then okay :) And I have a pet, and she doesn't really like to wear accessories.

I think you are being hypocritical. You say pets aren't humans and that we should stop treating them like children but humans and if you have, dye their hair and that's not right. Is it okay to dye a human's hair a crazy color but not a pet? Honestly, no one knows how an animal feels whether they like the clothes or not but I wouldn't be dressing up my pet because I have more important things to be doing.

Please feel free to point out how I'm being hypocritical. I don't really even understand what point you are trying to make here. No, we cannot read animals minds but animals are not able to give consent. To anything. It's completely different for a person to dye there hair, because they are choosing to. It's just my opinion. I think it looks distasteful. In my above post I was mostly referring to dressing pets in clothes though.

People always say oh, that's not right or bla bla bla, you are hurting the dog. How do you know what the pet wants? How do you know whether the pet is satisfied or he/she is upset. You don't because you aren't the animal.

You're right. No one knows what the pet wants or doesn't want. I think it's pretty safe to assume that they are completely comfortable without clothes or pink hair though. Do you think if you could read a pets mind they would be thinking "Gee, I really wish my owner would dye my hair purple, I think I'd look fabulous!" LOL!

Does the owner do it often? Are the dyes harmful? Is the pet obviously stressed out and uncomfortable from it?

Every case is different, it helps no one to put a big "RIGHT" or "WRONG" label on an act that has so many possible outcomes.

Also I've never heard of people painting the nails of an animal before, does this happen to cats and dogs? Because you can hardly see their nails, I don't see the point.

Does the owner do it often? Are the dyes harmful? Is the pet obviously stressed out and uncomfortable from it?

Every case is different, it helps no one to put a big "RIGHT" or "WRONG" label on an act that has so many possible outcomes.

Also I've never heard of people painting the nails of an animal before, does this happen to cats and dogs? Because you can hardly see their nails, I don't see the point.

You brought up a good point there. Every animal will react differently to every situation, just like every human will. We need to remember that and look out for the subtle cues they give us (er, sometimes not so subtle)

I think it's a ridiculous waste of time and money. But that being said, I guess it's your right to be wasteful of time and money so as long as it doesn't stress or harm the animal(s) it's by your right to do it.

My opinion though stands at why do you need to dress up your dog/cat/guniea pig/whatever more than it already is? I mean, are you that superficial that you need your pets to look high maintenance just to be high maintenance? I put on soft caps on my cat's claws that are pretty colors, but that was more because they were available for the same price as clear ones. Soft caps are also something that I invest in outside of aesthetic value - he has very sharp kitty claws and he likes to play rough and scratch up the furniture. My cat isn't going to feel any different that I put rainbow soft caps on him, and I tend to forget that he's wearing them.