Free Antivirus?

Zombiiesque

Okay, so I just got a new computer, and I have Win7. I used to use AVG Free, as I had Norton before and *hated* it. I've got a trial version installed temporarily - came preloaded on my computer - but I'm wondering, do any of you use a good free antivirus software for Windows? I'd love to hear recommendations! :D TIA.

I second microsoft security essentials. Unlike AVG it doesn't take up all that space, so it tends to just hang out in the background for use as needed. Either that or Avira is another good option. You may want to look both of those up and read reviews so you can figure out what's best for your computer.

Along with that, I also am sure to defragment once every two weeks. I also have an AMAZING anti-spyware software installed called Malwarebytes. It gives me the much needed added protection. Usually if MSE doesn't detect a virus then malwarebytes always will. I also use CCleaner. It's mostly just a quick and easy way to free up a bit of space with the added bonus of being able to fix any registry errors. Registry errors happen quite frequently when you download/uninstall programs, so it comes in quite handy. All of these are free. ^^ If you have any further questions, please let me know. I've researched this topic quite a bit.

Definitely go with Microsoft security essentials over AVG. It seems to be much more reliable.

I'll second Avira Internet Security :) I've used it for years, and even have it on my mobile phone. It's pretty straightforward, updates quite often and really does deep scans/cleans of your computer. I even have it on my mom's computer and that keeps her safe as well!

I've used AVG and Avast, and I've liked both. I think I may give MSE a try though- lots of people seem to really like it!

I've used AVG and Avast, and I've liked both. I think I may give MSE a try though- lots of people seem to really like it!

If you're currently running AVG and having problems with your computer, you might want to make the switch to either MSE or perhaps try avira. (I have no experience with Avast though). All I know is that when I was running AVG it was taking up so much memory. When I switched to MSE (which is much more ligh weight) my computer was much faster.

Thank you so much everyone!

I second microsoft security essentials. Unlike AVG it doesn't take up all that space, so it tends to just hang out in the background for use as needed. Either that or Avira is another good option. You may want to look both of those up and read reviews so you can figure out what's best for your computer.

Along with that, I also am sure to defragment once every two weeks. I also have an AMAZING anti-spyware software installed called Malwarebytes. It gives me the much needed added protection. Usually if MSE doesn't detect a virus then malwarebytes always will. I also use CCleaner. It's mostly just a quick and easy way to free up a bit of space with the added bonus of being able to fix any registry errors. Registry errors happen quite frequently when you download/uninstall programs, so it comes in quite handy. All of these are free. ^^ If you have any further questions, please let me know. I've researched this topic quite a bit.

I will look into those as well - I like that they're lightweight programs, and that's what I need. Thanks so much for your input!

I'll second Avira Internet Security :) I've used it for years, and even have it on my mobile phone. It's pretty straightforward, updates quite often and really does deep scans/cleans of your computer. I even have it on my mom's computer and that keeps her safe as well!

If I'm not happy with MSE I will definitely nab Avira, as a second!

If you're currently running AVG and having problems with your computer, you might want to make the switch to either MSE or perhaps try avira. (I have no experience with Avast though). All I know is that when I was running AVG it was taking up so much memory. When I switched to MSE (which is much more ligh weight) my computer was much faster.

Ah, thanks! I will definitely give one of those a try. Thanks sweetie! :)

I use the free version of AVG and I haven't experienced any problems with it. It updates regularly. I have both for my computer and my phone. It's caught a lot of viruses on my computer. @__@; I never go and buy them. Norton is a rip-off. It frequently comes pre-installed as a trial and takes up room when it expires, basically become an annoying virus itself.

I have Symantec AV, but I think one of the most hilarious things about AVs is that I dual boot Windows and Ubuntu and I have ClamAV on Ubuntu. If Windows ever gets infected, I can tell ClamAV to virus check on the Windows partition from Ubuntu. (Unix systems hardly ever get viruses and Windows viruses can't do squat against Unix) I've heard some people even collect Windows viruses on Ubuntu just for kicks.

• 3 weeks later...

The most recent tests that I've read have Avira as the most reliable and fastest of the free antivirus programs. Avast also performs very well, and it's also less annoying than Avira. There isn't much of a difference in the success rate of detecting and removing viruses and malware between the two programs. Avira scores better, but if the daily advertisement bothers you, it wouldn't be too much of a difference to use Avast.

Microsoft Security Essentials performs noticeably worse than both Avira and Avast. It really isn't that great of a program. I wouldn't recommend it. AVG also scores badly.

Norton IS a virus hahahha. In all seriousness though, I've used AVG Free for awhile and the only problem I've had with it is how it sometimes locks one program I use that I know to be free of any malware and other weird things every once in awhile HMMHMM >:l. I wouldn't reccomend MSE at ALL. I have heard good things about Avira/Avast and I'm actually planning on switching to one of them (probably Avast) once I stop being lazyyyyy.

Norton is seriously horrible ._. I thought I had a nasty virus and spent weeks trying to fix my computer to finally go, "Let's try uninstalling Norton." BAM, worked again. I have since started using Avast!, and it is a wonderful improvement. I definitely recommend it!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Microsoft security essentials is really good. It comes already on your laptop so you don't have to install it. I use McAfee because my school says we have to, they are pretty good but definitely not free. As far as free goes, stick with the essentials. Your laptop should already have it.

• 5 months later...

The free softwares like win7 Antivirus, Antispyware pro and windows essential security pro are good antivirus softwares but there are duplicate or fake softwares are also available that are harmful for your computer also changed your browser setting. That all are virus and not remove easily.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Rune Valentine) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not bump topics that are no longer relevant.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Rune Valentine if you have any questions regarding this action.