Puzzle Challenge 2

Izzy ♥

ok.. I cant even understand the rules/instructions to that one.. Someone want to explain it to me?

..or show me an example online of how this type of puzzle is worked..

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oops, sorry guys! I can't explain Slitherlinks very well... I'll try to do a mini example of one for you.

Puzzle6ex.jpg

This is a really simple one, but the same principle... a loop around the numbers, vertical and horizontal lines only. In this example the ? represent 1 and 2 so thats what you'd send to me... does that make it easier?

Bonus

Botanists studied a rainforest in Nicaragua that had been ravaged by Hurricane Joan in 1988. They found that in the following ten years the number of tree species had increased by at least 200%, and up to 300%, in eight storm-affected plots. Other plots not affected by the hurricane showed little if any such

increase.

From this information, it can be concluded that

A. hurricanes play an important role in ensuring the longterm survival of tropical rainforests.

B. when the dominant trees in an area of tropical rainforest are destroyed, other species are given a chance to flourish.

C. the overall life of a tropical rainforest is increased if large areas are occasionally levelled to the ground.

D. the productivity of a tropical rainforest will be maximised if large areas are occasionally levelled to the ground.

Bonus so answers can be posted here, worth 2 points, etc, etc :P Ellie can't answer this one.

For the bonus I say it's D

:D Its B, so Crash got it! 'Twas funny to see one of every choice like that!

About the Slitherlink - I'm sorry none of you seem to have seen them before! They're in the papers here, along with Sudoku (which is what todays puzzle is, so let me know if you don't know how to do those), I just assumed you'd only need basic instruction because you'd have seen them before... so, so sorry everyone!

Sure, I'll extend them, seeing as no-on'e gotten the Slitherlink, and only Ellie's got the crossword :P

Here's todays:

Puzzle Number Seven

Puzzle7.jpg

For this one, just add the shaded numbers together and send me the total. It's worth 8 points, remember PM your answer! Good luck :)

Sure, I'll extend them, seeing as no-on'e gotten the Slitherlink, and only Ellie's got the crossword

THANK YOU, the crossword puzzle has made me SO MAD :D I need an extra day or two to solve it, I have the feeling I'm so close but just one word is off.

Anyway, could we please know how long we have? Tis very important if we have a deadline!

For the crossword... I'll close it on Sunday evening my time (its currently Saturday morning if anyone wants to work out what time that'll be for them). And for the Slitherlink, I'll wait to see if anyone even attempts it before I set a deadline :P

I'm working on it, I think I have it, or at least I think I'm just going to submit my guess. xD Or spend all my weekend on it, and then have to go back to school on Monday knowing that I didn't relax for a moment!

EDIT: Is there anyway of you making the slitherlink a little easier. I just read on the internet that it can take hours to solve these things. All you really can do, is guess an check, guess and check. And the problem you gave us is classified as 'very hard'...and it is hardly fair to expect us to do a 'very hard' one, I mean at least the Sudoku was easy. :P

EDIT: Can someone please tell me if this is legal, please note I used 2 different colors on purpose to show the path more clearly, but all colored lines are ONE path.

Sorry it's small, I was to lazy to open up PSP to do this, so I just used paint. EEK

helpmebs9.png

Erm, that Slitherlink was an Easy level one, I got it from one of my puzzle books... it took me about an hour to an hour and a half to do I think. I could put in some of the path, would that be helpful?

TJ - Any way you could make that pic a little bigger? I can't read it...

Ah, yes - start with the number for the top question mark then work your way down.

I'll give 2 points for each correct number, and 15 if they're all correct (2x6 plus 3 bonus for getting them all). Is that good?