Am I being too harsh?

Need some moral advice here folks ...

Just recently there seems to be a influx of newbies to neopet's with accounts a couple of weeks old messaging me for advice on how to get neopoint's and then asking (infact one demanded which was charming!) me for large donations to help them ...

Now my first response is to direct them to TDN as its been a wonder for some of the things I didn't know about but as for asking / begging for a donation I do think this is a tad rude! I mean I would never of dreamed of this when I started and I'm just wondering where other people stand on it or if I am being a tad too mean and a bit of a scrooge?

Heres a lovely message I received off one user after I advised them I don't do donations to newbies / users I don't personally know:

"Thanks for nothing!!!!!!! I would of thought a experienced user would help a newbie out but I guess not. You deserve to have your account hacked for being so cruel and that site dont exist!!!!!!!"

So apparently TDN doesnt exist (I told them to search the daily neopets in a search engine) and I deserve to be hacked. Charming or am I being to mean?

Wow, no, you weren't too mean. Donations are supposed to be a nice thing to do, a nice surprise, not in response to a demand. In fact, asking for NP is against TNT's rules, so you could report them.

Though, watch out- mentioning sites off of Neopets can get you a warning. People still do it, but be careful. :)

Wow, no, you weren't too mean. Donations are supposed to be a nice thing to do, a nice surprise, not in response to a demand. In fact, asking for NP is against TNT's rules, so you could report them.

Though, watch out- mentioning sites off of Neopets can get you a warning. People still do it, but be careful. :)

Didn't know you could get warned for either of those so lol thanks! I think I just needed to get a little rant off my chest!!

Didn't know you could get warned for either of those so lol thanks! I think I just needed to get a little rant off my chest!!

Rant away! :)

And yeah. Asking for donations is seen as begging, which is strictly not kosher. The harassment on top of that is just the icing on the cake.

Mentioning offsite pages is generally just a safety precaution- to prevent links to sites with cookie grabbers, other harmful content, or not-child safe content. People seem to have more luck with not getting warnings when they mention neo help sites, like Jelly Neo, Sunny Neo, and TDN, but it is still technically against the rules.

I definitely don't think you're being mean at all. Any idea how these users are finding you? I never get anything like that.

I was kind of wondering that too! Do you post on the newbies board or something? o_O

I occasionally get random requests myself but not too often - I would probably have the same reaction as you! I don't think what you've said is mean at all, I think that's perfectly reasonable, however their reaction to you is very unreasonable!

I heard early on that we weren't supposed to mention offsite links at all, I think I had posted about it once on the boards when I was new and someone warned me that it was a big no no. Thankfully I never got into any trouble over it!

Of course you're not being rude/too mean or a scrooge! I can't believe the nerve of such people, no matter how new to Neopets they may be. It's common sense not to beg for anything from a stranger. Like Ashley and Rebecca, I also wonder how come you're being 'singled' out. Are you offering quest help? Either way, you should try not to take it personal, however hard it may be :c

report that neomail and its sender :D

most these people are annoying little pests who deserve to be frozen for begging

and most of the time they aren't newbies at all .. just people trying to freeload from others then send the items or NP to their mains

something similar happened to me a few weeks ago... I haven't had my particular account for that long (10 months) but one day I randomly got a message from a new user asking me how many neopoints I had. I asked them why they were asking and they never responded. I got kinda worried and changed my password but it was a really weird experience.

something similar happened to me a few weeks ago... I haven't had my particular account for that long (10 months) but one day I randomly got a message from a new user asking me how many neopoints I had. I asked them why they were asking and they never responded. I got kinda worried and changed my password but it was a really weird experience.

Weird. :/ I would think that they would just start begging if you had told them, saying that they would never get that much, and you should be nice and share your NP and stuff. Still, changing your password on a regular basis is a good plan!

You are not too harsh... I would have reported the user for begging :P And that would have added trigger a warning to them :P. Sorry but I'm not nice to n00bs.

and most of the time they aren't newbies at all .. just people trying to freeload from others then send the items or NP to their mains

This. I was actually going to say that the message the OP posted doesn't sound like a newbie, but someone trying to trick others.

Anyway, it's totally up to the individual what they do with their neopoints, so I'd say that no one is ever too harsh/greedy/whatever if they don't donate neopoints to askers, no matter how new they are!

Haha. Wow, people are just retarted now a days. I would have donated a piece of dung to them ^.^. I don't much care for noobs either. Even when I was one I was like " go away" with them.

I got a weird nm too this week, and from a 51 month old account too....

"could i have one of your poogles for one of my mutants please"

Note that I have 2 MSPP (can you say underoffer? XD) and they are NOT UFT nor have I ever advertised them as UFT.

Something like this happened a couple times before. I noticed that it always happens when either I win at the wishing well, or one of my pets gets notable. So if my username gets published somewhere on the site. Did you win in the caption contest/ art gallery/ anything else where they would publish your name? did you have something put in the NT?

And, they were very rude. I would surely ave reported. At least mine said please XD

Note that I have 2 MSPP (can you say underoffer? XD) and they are NOT UFT nor have I ever advertised them as UFT.

Something like this happened a couple times before. I noticed that it always happens when either I win at the wishing well, or one of my pets gets notable. So if my username gets published somewhere on the site. Did you win in the caption contest/ art gallery/ anything else where they would publish your name? did you have something put in the NT?

And, they were very rude. I would surely ave reported. At least mine said please XD

Wow, what an under offer! o.o But lucky, haha.

Every time my name is published on the site I get 5-10 neofriend requests .. but that's usually it ..

thats really weird. i've never gotten anything like that. but also my name has never been published anywhere nor do i have spectacular pets.

i think its extremely rude that they even ask. especially because they don't know you. i agree with the person who said they don't sound like a newbie.

I probably would have been a [removed], but that's just me. I'm really not though :[ just to those who deserve it.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Neomysterion) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please don't use profane terms, keep in mind that there are young children present in these forums.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

No, you are not being "too harsh" in the slightest, the fact that you would even have to ask us proves that.

Firstly, "begging", even in reality, is often frowned upon and for GOOD reason. Just like a poor person may beg on the streets, begging is something that does hardly anything to assist the person. You did the right thing by simply providing TDN, which is a resource, one which could help this user.

But see, because they had to follow it up basically yelling at you; they probably aren't newbies at all. My guess? Freeloaders. Or perhaps potential scammers attempting to asses your gullibility. Regardless, begging and harassing would only result in them being frozen in their future.

I've never had anyone ask me for NP or rare items, although I have received friend requests which were random when I had an article published. :/

I probably would have been a [removed], but that's just me. I'm really not though :[ just to those who deserve it.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Neomysterion) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please don't use profane terms, keep in mind that there are young children present in these forums.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

My bad about that. I have to keep reminding myself that not every neopian is over 21 now!

I'm very new to neopets, too. My first days were just super awesome because there were some nice users helping me. But in some things I saw an the TP (MPs, PBs etc) they weren't that experienced, so I mailed the owners of those lots and asked. They helped and I was happy, that's all. I would never ever beg for neopoints or items! -.- Where's the fun of playing neopets at that?

I don't think you're to rude. I would've been happy for an advice to TDN. I found it myself though :3

I'm very new to neopets, too. My first days were just super awesome because there were some nice users helping me. But in some things I saw an the TP (MPs, PBs etc) they weren't that experienced, so I mailed the owners of those lots and asked. They helped and I was happy, that's all. I would never ever beg for neopoints or items! -.- Where's the fun of playing neopets at that?

I don't think you're to rude. I would've been happy for an advice to TDN. I found it myself though :3

exactly! neopets is about building and growing. not begging and asking for charity