Leaving Habi running?

Rebecca~

So, I saw this on the Neopets tag on tumblr.

tumblr_m61kz8C02J1rp7pr1o1_500.jpg

Apparently, leaving your Habi open while you're not at your computer "may be considered cheating".

Do you think that's fair? I leave mine open 24/7, practically, and I have never once thought that it was cheating, or outside the bounds of the rules.

Do you think that TNT will ever actually enforce this?

Eesh! That completely defeats the purpose for me. Habi isn't the type of game you can 'actively play' in my opinion. You set it up, fed and rest your p3s, then you let them do their thing while you play on some other part of the site (or go to school, or work, or a friend's party, or sleep....). Before the AC started, I had my habi open almost 24/7 also. Making sure to open it up before going to sleep and clearing it when I woke up. If that's supposed to be cheating, they need to do something about the game. I can't watch the habi for more than 10 minutes without getting bored.

Oh yea...and making a limit for the amount of gems we can collect will get rid of a major source of income for a lot of Neopians. I don't see people being too pleased by this. :whistle:

Wait, wait, wait. Who are you? That person is my good friend. xD

Also, I don't think they enforce it. That's silly if they do. I use to do it all the time.

I'm a lurker on tumblr, mostly. My username is radioactivesoup if you really want to find me, but I don't think anyone on the tag knows me. -ninja- Haha. :)

I should have thought to ask the OP if I could repost her image. Whoops. If she would prefer I take her username off or something, I will!

I really hope that they don't enforce it! Lots and lots of people will be super pissed. :/

Eesh! That completely defeats the purpose for me. Habi isn't the type of game you can 'actively play' in my opinion. You set it up, fed and rest your p3s, then you let them do their thing while you play on some other part of the site (or go to school, or work, or a friend's party, or sleep....). Before the AC started, I had my habi open almost 24/7 also. Making sure to open it up before going to sleep and clearing it when I woke up. If that's supposed to be cheating, they need to do something about the game. I can't watch the habi for more than 10 minutes without getting bored.

Oh yea...and making a limit for the amount of gems we can collect will get rid of a major source of income for a lot of Neopians. I don't see people being too pleased by this. :whistle:

I don't either! And exactly, re: actively playing. When I work, I check it first thing in the morning, collect my gems, put the P3s in their houses, and then set it up before I leave. I check it as soon as I get home, and do the same thing. I don't know what I would do if they actually limited the number of gems, and enforced this being cheating. :/

I agree. It isn't like there's something you can do constantly while it's running. The workers do their thing, and you have to wait around for nesters to finish laying their eggs so you can do whatever it is you need to do with them. I used to have my habi open all the time when I was on the computer. Not so much lately because I've been busy and preoccupied with other things, which has caused my habi to go very downhill, but nonetheless it's boring to just sit there and watch them. :/ I'll be pretty upset if they start to enforce this, once I get my habi up and running again. I don't see how it could even begin to be considered cheating in the first place.

From the sound of the wording, it's not that they expect you to watch it every minute, but it sounds more like they want you actively on the computer. They keep mentioning not leaving it running while you're away from the computer/sleeping.

With the mention of picking up the gems as they pop up, that seems to imply checking it every so often.

Personally, that's what I do. I only run it at work, when I'm actively at the computer. I play my NP games in other tabs, and check every once in awhile for gems. It's generally only left running when I'm not at the computer for at most 45 minutes to an hour, when I have to do some work stuff that takes me out of the room.

From the sound of the wording, it's not that they expect you to watch it every minute, but it sounds more like they want you actively on the computer. They keep mentioning not leaving it running while you're away from the computer/sleeping.

With the mention of picking up the gems as they pop up, that seems to imply checking it every so often.

Personally, that's what I do. I only run it at work, when I'm actively at the computer. I play my NP games in other tabs, and check every once in awhile for gems. It's generally only left running when I'm not at the computer for at most 45 minutes to an hour, when I have to do some work stuff that takes me out of the room.

The only time I let it run when I'm away from the computer is when I need to make something to eat, or if I need to run a quick errand. Do you think that's enough to be considered "cheating"? :S

Oh hey, that's me. xD

I really don't think there is anything they can do about people leaving their Habis open 24/7. I do, and everyone who isn't afraid of lock outs does as well. I can't see how that would be cheating, but they do probably mean that they only want it to run while you're active on the computer. Otherwise, it's could probably be considered having a game play for you? I'm not really sure. I always leave mine open. It's too much work to close it down, not make anything from it, and then have to repair everything when you wake up.

I'm sure this rule has more to do with Neopet's servers than them not wanting anyone to cheat. I've been saying for a while that it is the servers that are keeping TNT from making any major updates to habi. TNT seems to have a major habi related server issue at least once a year that I'm aware of, and I don't even play habi all that often. I'd guess this rule is only going to really be enforced if the servers become a major issue again. I wouldn't be shocked if they start enforcing this in the next few months, since there seems to be more activity on Neopets during the summer in general. The last major habi issue that I remembered happened around this time last year, too.

so they seriously expect me to sit and collect a gem every 5 minutes for 6 hours ?!!

TNT is losing their mind completely !

Yeah, that's why they don't enforce it. I mean, if they did, there would barely be anyone on Neopets.

I leave it on as I watch shows and what not. It's just one of those things. (x

What... that's absolutely ridiculous. :/ If they decide to enforce this, then it looks like a lot of really great accounts are going to be shut down for cheating. What a shame. Why can't they just let us enjoy one game that allows us to gain neopoints easily?

I first heard this from a guild friend. She received the same response a few weeks ago and I almost forgot about it. I don't play habitarium atm because I'm locked out for the millionth time, but I'll probably play again soon. I don't think I'd even mess around with it though if they decide to enforce this. I guess the reason they don't care about lock-outs is because they think only the 'cheaters' get locked out? -.-

Totally agree with Linds. They're likely sick of getting tickets about gem lockouts. I've been locked out several times from a windows update restarting my computer while the field was full of gems, but have always been able to fix it with the merge method. I think it would be fairly difficult to enforce the rule, so I can't see them making a big deal about it.

Totally agree with Linds. They're likely sick of getting tickets about gem lockouts. I've been locked out several times from a windows update restarting my computer while the field was full of gems, but have always been able to fix it with the merge method. I think it would be fairly difficult to enforce the rule, so I can't see them making a big deal about it.

I agree too! Probably all it is... at least, I sure hope that's all it is. Though it does worry me that they actually mentioned that they wanted to limit the amount of gems and eggs you can collect at one time.

Though it does worry me that they actually mentioned that they wanted to limit the amount of gems and eggs you can collect at one time.

That would involve actually updating the game :P And considering the last update was over a year ago... xD

Well, it's good that it doesn't seem to imply "active" player, rather than being at your computer. Unfortunately, if they do enforce this I'll be totally out of luck. I'd be able to have my Habi open for maybe 3 hours a day during the week? It would definitely cut into the 100k I'm used to making each day. :(

The only time I let it run when I'm away from the computer is when I need to make something to eat, or if I need to run a quick errand. Do you think that's enough to be considered "cheating"? :S

Oh, definitely not! :)

Oh! Well, hi. xD I'm Kayla (neopetsfanatic). It's alright if you post it. c: I just thought it was funny finding someone from the tag. :3

-waves- Hello! :) I wonder how many tumblr people there are here!

They're probably tired of dealing with gem locked out accounts so they say that haha

lolol, probably. :P

Oh hey, that's me. xD

I really don't think there is anything they can do about people leaving their Habis open 24/7. I do, and everyone who isn't afraid of lock outs does as well. I can't see how that would be cheating, but they do probably mean that they only want it to run while you're active on the computer. Otherwise, it's could probably be considered having a game play for you? I'm not really sure. I always leave mine open. It's too much work to close it down, not make anything from it, and then have to repair everything when you wake up.

Hi! :D

I agree. I love my Habi, but if I didn't leave it going while I was away from my computer, it would definitely not be worth all the time I put into it.

I'm sure this rule has more to do with Neopet's servers than them not wanting anyone to cheat. I've been saying for a while that it is the servers that are keeping TNT from making any major updates to habi. TNT seems to have a major habi related server issue at least once a year that I'm aware of, and I don't even play habi all that often. I'd guess this rule is only going to really be enforced if the servers become a major issue again. I wouldn't be shocked if they start enforcing this in the next few months, since there seems to be more activity on Neopets during the summer in general. The last major habi issue that I remembered happened around this time last year, too.

Oh god, I hope there aren't any issues this year.

so they seriously expect me to sit and collect a gem every 5 minutes for 6 hours ?!!

TNT is losing their mind completely !

Lolol, if anyone actually played Habi that way, I think they would lose their minds!

What... that's absolutely ridiculous. :/ If they decide to enforce this, then it looks like a lot of really great accounts are going to be shut down for cheating. What a shame. Why can't they just let us enjoy one game that allows us to gain neopoints easily?

I first heard this from a guild friend. She received the same response a few weeks ago and I almost forgot about it. I don't play habitarium atm because I'm locked out for the millionth time, but I'll probably play again soon. I don't think I'd even mess around with it though if they decide to enforce this. I guess the reason they don't care about lock-outs is because they think only the 'cheaters' get locked out? -.-

I think that TNT would realise what a big mistake that would be if they actually started freezing people for cheating at Habi or something. Lots and lots of Premium and NC buying users 'cheat' at Habi.

-knocks wood- I haven't been locked out yet, thankfully. But yes, I think it would really hard for them to actually enforce that. :)

They have so many problems with Habi, I highly doubt they even care about people leaving theirs running. For one, they can't prove you aren't actively on the computer. And secondly, they would have to have Habitariums in full working order with no bugs or common glitches to even begin thinking about monitoring how it's played.

i have the habi open most of the day, because i'm pretty much glued to the computer almost all day long.

i collect the gems every now and then, but i've never had enough gems to collect to make it collapse...

i like the game, but it gets boring after a while... are we supposed to turn it off and then back on every time we change the tab? naaah, dont think so.

i would like the game to be updated with new levels and stuff... soon... ¬.¬

i have the habi open most of the day, because i'm pretty much glued to the computer almost all day long.

i collect the gems every now and then, but i've never had enough gems to collect to make it collapse...

i like the game, but it gets boring after a while... are we supposed to turn it off and then back on every time we change the tab? naaah, dont think so.

i would like the game to be updated with new levels and stuff... soon... ¬.¬

I don't really want it to be updated- I love collecting my gems every day. Habi makes me about 100k every day, and I don't really have the time to get through new levels very fast at the moment. XD

I go all night with Habi open, and for about 12 hours while I'm at work, and I have never been locked out. I don't know if I'm really lucky or what, haah.