TNT's Official Comments on the Fortune Cookies

hrtbrk

Ever since Noda's fortune cookies appeared in the NC Mall, the Neoboards have been crying that it is unfair; that potential extra Neopet stats in the forms of extra lab zaps and faerie quests is a gameplay advantage, and they cite a former NT Editorial as saying that NC would never provide advantages. Players seem to be very upset about the cookies, and are saying that it's one step away from being able to buy avatars and Battledome weapons with NC, and so on. So, what is the official position on the fortune cookies? How is it different from "buying your way through the game"? Also, did Noda cause all this trouble on purpose, or is he just an unfortunate victim caught in the crossfire of controversy? ~[removed]

We don't consider the new fortune cookies to be an unfair advantage. While we do have to make money as a business, we think the best way to do that is by making our players happy. Despite what some may think, our main goal is to make free players happy, NC players happy, and Premium players happy, but none at the expense of the others! (You should see some of the ideas that have come up for things to sell. They would sell like hotcakes, but... *shudder*.) We know our NC players want something more than clothing, so we're trying to find different ways to make them happy that doesn't affect anyone else.

So, with that out of the way...

We consider the cookies to be time-savers. For the lab cookie, as an example, you have to have the map already; the cookie doesn't grant it. You've already put that gameplay effort in and you're already zapping using the map. The results of a zap are also completely random. So, the cookie simply lets you get results faster than if you were zapping without it. Rather than wait three days to see what you get in three zaps, you can do three today. This could result in stats in a week rather than two weeks, or it could result in your Neopet going back down to level 1 and turning into a mutant Tuskaninny today rather than tomorrow. The cookie guarantees you nothing but more zaps in less time.

We feel the same principle is true for the others. Each cookie decreases the time you have to wait to reach your goal, but you still have to play the game and put in the effort to reach it. (You need skill in Flash games to earn NP from them. You need to be able to find and purchase the items required for Faerie Quests, etc.) They don't simply hand out rewards without having to earn them first. Then they would be unfair, we think.

We also want to point out that we're logging the heck out of each cookie and monitoring everything. We know how many sell, how fast, what they result in, what individuals are earning, what the spread is, and so on. We do realise there are certain economic factors that come into play with some of these cookies, and if there's a negative impact overall then we'll definitely deal with it. We're not just tossing these out there and moving on!

Some people may still disagree with us, and that's okay. Let us know what you're thinking. We do read your feedback. As long as everyone is constructive (:P), we're always open to discussion.

(Also, for those wondering, it is entirely possible to have the cookie, the space faerie charm, the talisman, and the featured game stack to result in quite a bit of NP from one game play. This is EXTREMELY rare and has not happened yet. We did not prevent it from happening in the code because it is just so very rare, so we consider it like hitting a jackpot on a daily. If you get it, you're the luckiest Neopian ever.)

---------

Thoughts?

My only concern with the cookies was the concern about the economy. Since TNT said they would do what they can to address it if something ever did happen, I'm fine with it now.

But I know people are not going to be satisfied with the answer, because most people seem to consider saving time to be an unfair advantage. Personally, I never considered Neopets to be a competition or a race to get the best account first. I don't care if someone has a stronger pet than my Karl or has more NP than me.

Hopefully this will shush some of the complainers.

Well the explanation makes sense. I thought the faerie Quest one was sweet in the first place. The only problem I really had was that users were saying the game one wasn't working right or something, that it said you'd get X more than what it really allowed. I wish the FQ one would fricking be made again. It might have restocked before but I haven't seen anything yet and I really want one.

Well the explanation makes sense. I thought the faerie Quest one was sweet in the first place. The only problem I really had was that users were saying the game one wasn't working right or something, that it said you'd get X more than what it really allowed. I wish the FQ one would fricking be made again. It might have restocked before but I haven't seen anything yet and I really want one.

The game thing was a glitch, and they fixed it soon after it was released. :) And the cookies restock after a certain time.

The game thing was a glitch, and they fixed it soon after it was released. :) And the cookies restock after a certain time.

I figured they did because I haven't heard people complaining about that part of the cookie in a while, and I know I just wish it'd restock quick like the other ones.

So that's their thoughts. Well it sure helps to know what they think, and were trying to do. I still don't like the idea, but it makes me feel somewhat better about this issue.

Each cookie decreases the time you have to wait to reach your goal, but you still have to play the game and put in the effort to reach it. (You need skill in Flash games to earn NP from them. You need to be able to find and purchase the items required for Faerie Quests, etc.) They don't simply hand out rewards without having to earn them first.

I think this is one of the lamest excuses they ever gave .. skill in flash games ? really ? like , Kass Basher ? and ... "be able to find and purchase the items" ?? oooh what do these things do ? oh right , they're fingers , they can type "conditioner" on the shop wiz .. and purchase it .. for 7 days in a row ..

/endrant

I just bought 6 cookies. The best strategy is just to keep clicking on the 'add item to cart' button.

As far as the TNT response I think it is classy and reassuring. I think spending $1 to have an extra thing to look forward to on Neopets for 7 days is totally worth it. And if it ends up being a complete mess in the aggregate then lessons learned, they won't do it again (I don't think it will end up being that big of a deal in the big scheme of things). I don't think TNT would do anything to actually seriously jeopardize the quality of the gameplay and I stand by that being the most important thing overall.

I think this is one of the lamest excuses they ever gave .. skill in flash games ? really ? like , Kass Basher ? and ... "be able to find and purchase the items" ?? oooh what do these things do ? oh right , they're fingers , they can type "conditioner" on the shop wiz .. and purchase it .. for 7 days in a row ..

/endrant

Some people struggle with Kass Basher. And besides, making a lot of NP on games is still time-consuming, cookie or no cookie.

Kind of hard to type "conditioner" in the Shop Wiz when you can't use him during a Faerie Quest. :P

I wasn't too thrilled about the last two cookies they released, but I'll hold it to them that they'll 'deal with the negative impact' if it has to come to that. Maybe a good NP sink is something we do need now and then, anyway xD

/endrant

No it isn't, it's perfectly fine ... not all the quests are cheap, I just spent 20k on one, 20k I had to earn. And a lot of the games do require skill ...

This argument would be much, much for effective/valid if the NC Mall and Neocash were available in EVERY country.

I do respect TNT for being so honest; they're a company after all, they do have to make money or there would be no Neopets for anyone at all! Hopefully the Cookies will make them enough moolah that they wont have to resort to any of the plans that make them shudder.

I'm much happier knowing that TNT is keeping track of all cookies and how they're used. I still have some concerns over them, about the impact they'll have in the long term, but I'm definitely not as angry about the Game cookie as I was. :3 Wow, TNT, you actually handled this well. Kudos.