Habitarium vs Computer Temperature

Angeló

After changing my laptop fan and re-installing Windows 2 weeks ago , I downloaded a software called Speedfan ... upon using it I found the following parameters : GPU , HD0 , Temp 1 , Core 1 , Core 2

The GPU is always in the 50 range , HD0 is about 40 , Temp1 is an average of Core 1 and Core 2 which are in the 45-50 range ...

However , tonight I ran Speedfan while I was watching a movie (and my Habitarium was open) and the Core 1 & Core 2 were ... 65-70 !!!!!! I was stunned ... I checked my laptop fan and it is running fine ... I also use a laptop cooler 24/7 !! what was the problem ?? I closed (Windows Media Player) (but I forgot to close Habitarium) .. nothing changed , so I closed Habitarium and the temp. instantly went down to 55 ... then stabilized at 42-45... and the green check arrow is displayed ... meaning no overheating ! even when I'm downloading Torrents the Temp. is stable .. but with Habi it was over the top ...

Can Habitatium really raise a laptop's temperature like that ?? or is it all games in general ?? what is the normal accepted Core Temperature ??

My Habi fries my lap top so bad that I barely open it anymore. Now when ever I do everything is dead or dying... It stinks cause I am almost to level 50!

I constantly have to keep my macbook plugged in while playing habi. I don't have habi open as much as I used to. When it comes to doing other things or if I'm putting my macbook on my lap I'll close habi right away so the bottom doesn't get as hot.

I'm currently running Windows Vista Home Premium on my laptop. With Pidgin, Thunderbird, and Firefox with 18 tabs open, including Habi, my two cores are sitting at ~35% and ~25% usage, respectively, and a temperature of ~55°C. If I switch tabs to Habi, my core temps increase about 10°C within a couple minutes, and CPU usage climbs to >70% for both cores.

(While it's uncomfortable to have your laptop running that hot, they are built to handle it, and operating temperatures should not be compared to those of a desktop PC. My temperatures regularly exceed 70°C when playing an FPS.)

Habitarium is a horrible CPU hog, like many other Flash games. (Flash video, on the other hand, uses GPU to run, so you don't notice the same effect while watching Youtube). The sooner Flash gets replaced by HTML5, the better, in my opinion.

My Habi used to absolutely torture my laptop and my model is known for heating problems

The solution? The angelic invention known as canned air/air duster/compressed air! I gave my laptop a good blast in each of it's fans (including a hidden one in the hinge area of the lid) and it runs like a kitten now with the Habi on all night!

I only have an 3 year old HP laptop to use, and Habitarium does tend to eat away at it. I've had my computer screen more then once at me that it was over heating. To fight this, I have my Google Chrome browser (I heard Google Chrome runs Habitarium better), use a plug in which diminishes the quality of flash. It's annoying, yes, because all of my Neopets look crappy. But it helps my laptop significant and keeps all of the games from messing up. And like others have mentioned, I block off my storages and try to keep my p3's from running around too much. The more bugs you have in your Habitarium, the worse the usage. It runs the best when all of my p3s are in their houses. That's when I purchase items and everything works fine. I also have an extra store-bought fan used to cool off my laptop. I think it helps.

my old laptop used to occasionally run at 80ºC+ when playing graphics intensive games and there were no issues. the majority of laptops are built to turn themselves off if they get too hot (i think on mine it's a temperature of 105ºC). i wouldn't worry about it unless you start getting BSODs or serious glitches within your system on a regular basis. laptops are built to handle pretty high core temperatures.

Another thing you can do is block the entrances to your storage units. It won't make you collect resources any faster but it won't display the animation of your P3s walking to the storage. The less animation, the better. :P

That's really odd that it would use so much CPU, I wonder why...

There are plenty of far more information heavy games that don't do that, so I'm perplexed.

I remember Habitarium being fine on my desktop PC, but on the laptop it caused the rapid heating that you found. I don't think that it would be that serious of a problem on a laptop, but setting it to a low resolution and not having many other programs working simultaneously may help..

• 1 month later...

Habi uses flash which is very cpu intensive, although for me it seemed to improve with the new updates if you haven't updated in awhile try that http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ see if it's any better with the latest version. Also Habi itself has to make tons of calculations updating all those animations, movements of each individual PPP, updating resources, buildings, etc so it will use more power then most games on neopets. Also make sure your laptop fan is expelling air, when you hear the fan you should be able to feel a rush of air out of the vents, if not then your heatsink is probably clogged with dust and hair and the hot air is being blown back inside the laptop case increasing the temps. most often you need to disassemble the laptop to get to the heatsing and fan, compressed air rarely does the trick. Here's an example http://www.laptoprepair101.com/wp-images/Toshiba-Satellite-P15-heatsink.jpg its very common problem, a professional should charge around $75-$100 to remove a clog like that it doesn't matter the size of the clog it's disassembly most often every single part needs to be removed to get to the fan, unless your lucky and theres a access port to the fan assembly on the bottom of your laptop.

I don't know about heat but I know that as soon as I open habi my comp at work starts whirring madly like it's gonna take off - as soon as I close it it stops! I don't use it on the laptop at home as it just can't cope.