Hang Out and Post

Giovanni Gale

Woot! Congratulations! Glad you're enjoying reading on it. I've had a NookColor for over a year which basically does all the same things and I've had a serious love attachement to mine as well.

I've got a purple and white owl case for mine and I've gotten tons to compliments on it and I must say, people never seem to tell me that I'm geeking out when I pull it out of my bag, I guess because it's a 'trendy' reading thing?

Yeah, I really loving reading in bed with my Nook because it's the first time that I can read without my glasses! I've worn glasses since 1st grade and can't really see even to read a book without them so it was awesome to me to realize that I can lay down with my head on a pillow on my side and read without my glasses smooshing. It's also awesome to read in the pitch black and not need a light since the screen is backlit.

I've had glasses/contacts since 4th grade, but reading in bed is the only time when I don't need them, and don't notice if I don't have them on.

I'm really going to have to look into getting one of these. It would be beyond awesome.

Yeah, I really loving reading in bed with my Nook because it's the first time that I can read without my glasses! I've worn glasses since 1st grade and can't really see even to read a book without them so it was awesome to me to realize that I can lay down with my head on a pillow on my side and read without my glasses smooshing. It's also awesome to read in the pitch black and not need a light since the screen is backlit.

Reading in the dark causes eye strain, though I too am guilty of doing it xD I like having the lights of and reading a few chapters and falling asleep. It's the best part of the day. I'm really loving having it and while I usually don't like to buy things (and really apprehensive as I'm very attached to the smell of new books :laughingsmiley: ), this seems to be a necessary purchase because I move around a lot and can't afford to keep shipping the tons of books I keep accumulating. This also allows me to carry around dozens of my culinary books (and recipe documents) in my purse! And since there's a variety of readers to suit your needs, they come in fairly cheap. And having a Kindle allows me to purchase books wherever I am in the world (which usually varies every year :P)

It's every book-lover's dream *stares at her kindle dreamily* I'll probably end up looking for a fun case for it too!

Actually, reading in the dark doesn't really cause any damage to your eyes, it may give your a headache or make your eyes tired (neither of these is an issue for me personally) but it's not in any way lasting detrimentally. But it's also a back lit screen so while the room is dark, the page I am reading is still much brighter than what it would be if I was reading a paper copy of a book with the lights on. :yes:

Yes, it was Doctor Sheldon Cooper. And now it is not. And in another 2 weeks, it will be different again. That's a Fantastic Member perk. :)

Well, you're abusing making use of it really well! :)

I'm on ortho-k lenses, if anyone's every heard of them. :P

My CD's arrived! I'll be showing pictures when I get the chance, because apparently, the USB thng that my Nanna had on her computer isn't there anymore. :angry:

So for some reason I thought I had an essay due on Feb 25, but I just went and checked by syllabus and it's due Jan 27! (Good thing I checked though).

I only lose 10% per week, but it's still totally thrown me off, and I need to get this essay done by friday or I'll lose another 10%.

Anyways, sorry for random post... I'm just kind of freaking out right now and need to vent somewhere.

Anyways, so I have to decide whether I want to write an essay on Dorian Gray, but I have to reread the book first... or write something on Hard Times/Jane Eyre/Vanity Fair, excpept I already wrote two essays on those books so it might be boring and look bad ><

My dad is a prof and he told me I should really talk to my prof and she's likely to give me an extension if I show I'm ernest. We'll see though. I've had some real jerks for profs before. This is a distance class so sadly I haven't even met my prof so I have no clue what she's like.

And yes, Jane Eyre is terrible. I had to read it for first year english and now again for 3rd year english lit. Hard times is pretty boring too. Vanity fair is great except it's like 900 pages so it's annoying looking for specific quotations in it.

I usually end up getting all my good quotations from reading other papers that quote the book, and finding it that way. How are you supposed to find the quotation you want in the middle of 900 pages x__x

-----

Edit: Oh and on the earlier topic:

I used to draw all night in the dark back in highschool and it never affected my vision. I got glasses back in 5th grade but my eyes have been the same since 7th or 8th grade. I really don't get why the optometrist makes me do an eye test every time I get new contacts...

This is really sad and silly but I think the reason why my eyes went bad in the first place was because in 4th grade my dad bought me some binoculars and I looked at the sun through them <--stupid. That actually physically hurt my eyes, and I think it's possible they started to go bad and I didn't notice until half a year later. But who knows?

Oh and side note, sitting close to the TV doesn't damage your eyes either xD

linsta - Jane Eyre might be boring, but for me at least, it's a really easy book to write papers on. Do you have a specific topic or is it a free for all?

---

I think if reading in the dark actually damaged eyes that I would be 100% blind by now. :P Genetically, I have horrible vision, which will apparently never plateau and will simply get worse and worse for eternity. At least, that's what my father says - and since the doctor continues to update my prescription so far on a yearly+ basis, I don't doubt that it may be true.

But I also really enjoy reading, and with the backlight on these new-fangled e-readers, I don't feel like I'm destroying my vision if I read in the dark anymore. Plus they make acquiring books ridiculously convenient.

Umm there's 3 topics I narrowed it down to (out of 22 x__x) but they're basicly:

1. Given their similarities, contrast the lives and attitudes of Jane Eyre and Becky Sharp (vanity fair)

2. Give a detailed account of the predominant systems of education described in Hard Times, Jane Eyre and Vanity Fair.

3. One of the characteristics of melodrama is taht its characters never develop, no matter what their experiences. They do not change but are fully formed at the start. To what extent does this apply to Vanity Fair and Hard Times.

I'm probably going with #1.

The other 19 questions were a no because they involved books I haven't read yet *facepalm*

Today is half price day on Neopets! What did everyone buy? I spent all the money I could.

You meant to say "is" instead of "was", I fixed it in the quote. I didn't buy a single item yet today since I'm saving up my Neopoints for something special. It was kind enough for you to ask me anyway. C:

Also, I have pitiful luck on half-price day due to large flocks of restockers in every store.

You meant to say "is" instead of "was", I fixed it in the quote. I didn't buy a single item yet today since I'm saving up my Neopoints for something special. It was kind enough for you to ask me anyway. C:

Also, I have pitiful luck on half-price day due to large flocks of restockers in every store.

Thank you for fixing that. I have pitiful grammer sometimes. I never understood restocking, can someone tell me more about it?

Thank you for fixing that. I have pitiful grammer sometimes. I never understood restocking, can someone tell me more about it?

What is restocking?

Restocking is buying items from the main shops around Neopia, and selling them for a higher price via your own user shop.

Keep in mind that most items that you see in official shops end up selling for much lower in the user shops. You may buy a 50,000 NP item that sells for several thousand Neopoints at a user shop, which is considered a bad restock.

A good restock is buying an item (mainly a Super Rare item) that sells for 10,000 NP or 25,000 NP, and it sells for 250,000 NP or 500,000 NP at the Trading Post (and can not be seen at any user shop due to high value). Keep in mind that many Neopian shops (especially the Chocolate Factory and the Magic Shop) are flocked with users buying rare goods, so you have to be as fast as can be when buying elusive goods.

TDN has a guide on restocking here: http://www.thedailyneopets.com/articles/restocking/

Did you know that we have our very own Restock Simulator? It's right here for any member to practice their restocking speed: http://www.thedailyneopets.com/articles/restock-practice/

Most people would start off at the Igloo Garage Sale since the items sold there are cheaper than their Neopets Estimate Value. If your Neopets account is 3 years or over, you can try restocking at the Almost Abandoned Attic. There's normally a great deal rare and valuable items over there (this also includes Magical Plushies, Morphing Potions, and Draik Eggs as well), but don't be fooled since there are some items that still sell for cheaper at the user shops.