Body Image

Naamah D.

Our society is pretty messed up in how it celebrates slender bodies moreso than other forms. Even models in magazines have their bodies photoshopped, showing that people that are extremely slender, and in some cases, people that have eating disorders, are just not thin enough. It celebrates a body type that is unachievable for so many people, most people, realistically, which leads to poor self esteem, an increase in eating disorders, and a huge increase in plastic surgery.

I don't mean to police anyones body, and I don't want it to sound like I am insulting anyone who is slender, or has had plastic surgery. I just want to point out how calculated this all is. :/

I am a relatively slender person, for the first time in my life. I grew up heavy, and only a year ago did I start to lose weight. I'm down to a US size 6, and I still have issues with my body image. I can't quite see myself as I am. I know I am slender, but I can't help but think of myself as heavier. I don't know if I will ever be able to see myself as I am - my body image has been horribly screwed by society.

I think I may need this. I think that maybe there should be one in every household. Maybe then we may be able to start fixing some of the damage.

MWYUS-1_LRG.jpg

MWYUS-1_01_LRG.jpg

Personally I think the media has a HUGE impact on how people feel. I'm pretty average at a UK 8..but I'm a 32DD bra size. I can't really win, because girls who are thinner than me see my boobs and butt and say I'm fat, and girls who are bigger than me dismiss me because I 'must be happy'. I have a small waist but curvy hips, and I hate the way I look. I have stood in front of the mirror and cried countless times, because I can grab hold of my hips, or I don't have a concave stomach because I've grown up thinking that's what you need to be 'beautiful'. And it's so stupid, because there's nothing 'wrong' with my figure, and on a good day I know that, but I read Vogue, and I have done since the age of about 11. I watch movies, and tv series, and flick through magazines. And they're all full of 'thin' people. We get told that we *HAVE* to be a certain size and shape, but actually when you think about it, no-one really seems to know what that is. A woman who is splashed all over one paper as being hugely fat and ohmigod how has she let herself get this gross, will be in a different one being slated as anorexic.

Now, this ties in with my main point so bear with me - I have been nicknamed 'Barbie' by several different groups of friends, and on the surface I take it as some sort of compliment. But actually, people constantly assume that because I'm blonde, I'm dumb, that because I have b00bs, I'm a whore etcetc, and that's come from the media, too. I mean, how many 'blonde/brunette' jokes are floating around!? Mostly it's harmless, but for instance one of my blonde friends once confided she'd always wanted to dye her hair dark but had had it drilled into her from a young age by her mom that brunettes were inferior. I mean, where does that come from?! Except the media image we have of 'blondes have more fun' sort of thing.

Okay so my main point is; a year or so ago, I was watching my little cousin play with some of my old Barbies, and as she was brushing the hair of one she sighed and said 'I want to look like her when I grow up'. It occurred to me that I thought that as well when I was little. I asked some of my girlfriends, and whichever one it was, whether it was school teacher Barbie with her (sexual?) red glasses, or the mermaid, or the vet, or the fashionista, they nearly all wanted to look like that when they grew up. So really, when the very first 'role-model' we are given as a child, the doll we play with every day, grow to love and aspire to be like is one whom studies have shown would be literally incapable of standing up if she were human due to her proportions...what hope have we got?!

Also, @ scoptophobia, I love them, but on closer inspection one of them says 'fine', and I'm pretty sure someone would soon take that to mean 'ugly' compared to 'perfect' and 'ravishing' :( Sad, I know, but I genuinely think it would happen.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Keiwo) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Your posts have been merged. In future, please use the edit button instead of double posting :-) Thanks!

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Also, @ scoptophobia, I love them, but on closer inspection one of them says 'fine', and I'm pretty sure someone would soon take that to mean 'ugly' compared to 'perfect' and 'ravishing' :( Sad, I know, but I genuinely think it would happen.

Ugh, you are probably right. (There are also issues with the word "ravishing", since that technically means "rapeable", which is seriously messed up, but...)

And you are completely right about your comment to do with Barbie, and how the first toy we are given is something that we can never actually be like. Toys are getting even worse though. My niece was born about a year and a half ago, and I went to a toy store to find some presents for her, and the dolls they have now are even more terrifying. :/

_42187482_bling300_answer_4_xlarge.jpeg

These dolls have heads that are three times the size of their waists. :/

I read it as like, dayyyuuuum gurrrl you fine, not in the more "plain/okay" kind of way we sometimes use it. :laughingsmiley:

I thought the Barbie comment was interesting, because I'm almost 100% certain I never aspired to look like her. I loved Barbies, but I thought it was cooler that she was a vet, or a doctor, or a gymnast, or a firefighter. If the rest of the package wasn't there, I would have been too frustrated by her easily-tangled hair and hard-to-dress rigid body to even consider her to be a role model. :P

I read it as like, dayyyuuuum gurrrl you fine, not in the more "plain/okay" kind of way we sometimes use it. :laughingsmiley:

I thought the Barbie comment was interesting, because I'm almost 100% certain I never aspired to look like her. I loved Barbies, but I thought it was cooler that she was a vet, or a doctor, or a gymnast, or a firefighter. If the rest of the package wasn't there, I would have been too frustrated by her easily-tangled hair and hard-to-dress rigid body to even consider her to be a role model. :P

I think the way you interpreted it was the way it was intended, but everyone takes things differently! :)

One of the only things that keeps me from hating Barbie completely is her awesomeness at various careers -- Back in the 60s (i think? Maybe 70s?) they produced one that that was a rocket scientist, and was dressed to go to space. How cool is that?

The only "career" Barbie I had as a kid was the dentist Barbie -- and mine spoke in French. :P (Damn Canada and it's bilingual toys! Haha)

Most of the clothes I had for my Barbies were knit by my grandmother, which had enough stretch that I never thought she was hard to dress. :P

I didn't aspire to be like Barbie as much as some girls did, but I was envious of all the friends that Barbie had -- as a weird, socially awkward fat girl, you can just imagine how many friends I had. By the time I was eleven I wanted to develop an eating disorder so I could be thin, so I could be pretty. I promised myself that once I was "pretty" I could do all these things I wanted. I thought that I was bound to have more friends if I was thinner. I don't remember thinking about Barbie specifically at that age, but I bet there was some correlation at some point, that I made the connection between thin, pretty, blond, etc and popular, and happy.

I agree, but I think that sometimes skinnier girls wish they were heavier. I'm seventeen and I weigh 93lbs. I'm not saying that to brag, I'm saying how much I hate being this skinny. I eat like a cow, and no matter what I can't gain weight at all. My mom runs a home daycare for ages 2-4 and one of the almost five year old girls asked me why I was so skinny, and it made me feel horrible and I couldn't stop thinking about it. Recently, I'd bought size 0 skinny jeans and now they're too big for me. I desperately wish I could gain more weight, I hate looking so...Unhealthy. People even ask me if I'm anorexic or bulimic. And I just...I hate it. I think that it shouldn't matter what shape you are or what your weight is, I think people should simply be nice to each other, and we should all accept our bodies. And I think it's horrible when people think someone is better looking if they're skinny. Being skinny is not all it's cracked up to be either. In my eyes, plus-sized girls are they most beautiful.<3

Ahaha okay that's probs my English-ness coming through :P Yeah if you take it as that sort of 'fine' it would work. Hopefully!

As for the rest of it, you are clearly stronger than me and my friends! I mean, I wanted to be a vet because I love animals, but I'm not gonna lie, I wanted to be able to do it with swishy hair and cute shoes...and I can't see that as coming from anywhere else. Cause what actual vet have you ever seen in glittery heels...

Ugh, you are probably right. (There are also issues with the word "ravishing", since that technically means "rapeable", which is seriously messed up, but...)

And you are completely right about your comment to do with Barbie, and how the first toy we are given is something that we can never actually be like. Toys are getting even worse though. My niece was born about a year and a half ago, and I went to a toy store to find some presents for her, and the dolls they have now are even more terrifying. :/

_42187482_bling300_answer_4_xlarge.jpeg

These dolls have heads that are three times the size of their waists. :/

Yeah those dolls just look freaky! And her tshirt reminds me of two girls I once saw. One had those handprints-on-the-b00bs tshirt and her sister had 'sexy' written across her butt in diamantes. They were aged 6&7. And I know this because the father got up and had a huge go at this guy for 'staring' at his 'little girls' etc - I nearly got up to say something but he looked nasty :laughingsmiley: I mean, you dress your child in something that sexualizes them and then get cross when people respond? What are these girls gonna be like at 14 if they've been taught to be seen as 'hot' from that age!?

Ahaha okay that's probs my English-ness coming through :P Yeah if you take it as that sort of 'fine' it would work. Hopefully!

As for the rest of it, you are clearly stronger than me and my friends! I mean, I wanted to be a vet because I love animals, but I'm not gonna lie, I wanted to be able to do it with swishy hair and cute shoes...and I can't see that as coming from anywhere else. Cause what actual vet have you ever seen in glittery heels...

Yeah those dolls just look freaky! And her tshirt reminds me of two girls I once saw. One had those handprints-on-the-b00bs tshirt and her sister had 'sexy' written across her butt in diamantes. They were aged 6&7. And I know this because the father got up and had a huge go at this guy for 'staring' at his 'little girls' etc - I nearly got up to say something but he looked nasty :laughingsmiley: I mean, you dress your child in something that sexualizes them and then get cross when people respond? What are these girls gonna be like at 14 if they've been taught to be seen as 'hot' from that age!?

That is horrifying! D: I can't believe that parents are okay with sexualizing their young children like that - it's just creepy D:

I don't know if you have them elsewhere, but in Canada at least we have a chain store for bras and lingerie here called La Senza, and a while ago -- I don't know if they still have them -- they made another chain store for young girls, called La Senza Girl. At my local mall the two stores were directly opposite each other. In La Senza Girl I saw something called training thongs. I was absolutely horrified. Not only are they creating a brand loyalty to lingerie while the girls are still children, but they are purposefully sexualizing them then as well.

Those poor girls. They go into a store to buy a cute sparkly t-shirt or something, look out at the adult version of the store they like, and they see half naked women in provacative poses, mouths open, holding cherries, etc, etc.

:(

It makes me sad.

I agree, but I think that sometimes skinnier girls wish they were heavier. I'm seventeen and I weigh 93lbs. I'm not saying that to brag, I'm saying how much I hate being this skinny. I eat like a cow, and no matter what I can't gain weight at all. My mom runs a home daycare for ages 2-4 and one of the almost five year old girls asked me why I was so skinny, and it made me feel horrible and I couldn't stop thinking about it. Recently, I'd bought size 0 skinny jeans and now they're too big for me. I desperately wish I could gain more weight, I hate looking so...Unhealthy. People even ask me if I'm anorexic or bulimic. And I just...I hate it. I think that it shouldn't matter what shape you are or what your weight is, I think people should simply be nice to each other, and we should all accept our bodies. And I think it's horrible when people think someone is better looking if they're skinny. Being skinny is not all it's cracked up to be either. In my eyes, plus-sized girls are they most beautiful. <3

I'm sorry you get harrassed so much for your weight! Body policing is bad, no matter what size the body.

(My only suggestion is maybe not to try to gain fat, since your body obviously doesn't want to at the moment, but maybe do some muscle training? If that works, you'd gain weight from the muscle mass, and maybe you wouldn't feel like you're 'too' slender, rather just lean and muscular.

Also, if you haven't already, maybe check with a doctor -- high metabolism is sometimes caused by hyperthyroidism. Even if there isn't a cause for your inability to gain weight, zie may have suggestions for you. :D)

Hugs if you want them though! Being insulted for your body is a terrible thing, and I know how much it can hurt, and for how long! Just remember that you are beautiful- just the way you are. :)

I agree, but I think that sometimes skinnier girls wish they were heavier. I'm seventeen and I weigh 93lbs. I'm not saying that to brag, I'm saying how much I hate being this skinny. I eat like a cow, and no matter what I can't gain weight at all. My mom runs a home daycare for ages 2-4 and one of the almost five year old girls asked me why I was so skinny, and it made me feel horrible and I couldn't stop thinking about it. Recently, I'd bought size 0 skinny jeans and now they're too big for me. I desperately wish I could gain more weight, I hate looking so...Unhealthy. People even ask me if I'm anorexic or bulimic. And I just...I hate it. I think that it shouldn't matter what shape you are or what your weight is, I think people should simply be nice to each other, and we should all accept our bodies. And I think it's horrible when people think someone is better looking if they're skinny. Being skinny is not all it's cracked up to be either. In my eyes, plus-sized girls are they most beautiful. <3

It's actually quite common for females (and males) who are skinny due to their genes to want to gain more. I once had a girl gawk at me like I was an alien when she overheard me saying I wish I could gain ten pounds. I'm 5'2" and 94lbs (gained 2lbs in a month..win for me!), and most people assume I'm 16, and if they see my tattoos, then they guess I'm a small 18 year old when in reality, I'm almost 23. And people automatically assumed I was anorexic when they saw me drinking Slim Fast...although they never once asked why, when in fact I was drinking Slim Fast between meals and snacks...one of the many "diets" my nutritionist put me on in attempts to gain weight. After a few diets, she told me I can either take steroids for a little bit to break the weight limit my body had (I wasn't able to gain over 89lbs for several years), or workout to gain muscle mass; I ended up giving up on gaining weight.

In the end though, people will always criticize others for their looks, and even the people in the "normal" spectrum wish for their body to be different (whether it be weight, eye color, a smaller nose, etc).

Society's "normal" sickens me. My nieces (18yrs to 8yrs old) deal with it on a daily basis, especially my middle niece (13yrs) who is getting bullied because she's Asian and because she doesn't do drugs and wear super tight clothes that show off every tiny curve.

And it just got worse when the writers went on strike and "reality" tv shows were on every channel...now we have people glued to their tvs watching belligerent drunks being...filthy, for lack of a better word, heh.

/rant

Our society has become obsessed with being thin. Me, being the heavy, plus size girl I am, has had to deal with "You'd be blah blah blah if you'd lose some weight." While I am normally happy with how I look, society and people have brought me down.

Who cares if you are thin? I think it's nasty to see boney girls. It is bleh.

Don't listen to anyone. Everybody is beautiful inside and out. But at one point, there is some girls who are very pretty, but on the inside they are terrible. Just be happy with what you have.

Who cares if you are thin? I think it's nasty to see boney girls. It is bleh.

Don't listen to anyone. Everybody is beautiful inside and out. But at one point, there is some girls who are very pretty, but on the inside they are terrible. Just be happy with what you have.

It's nasty to see bony girls, but everyone is beautiful?

Body policing/hate isn't cool, no matter what size the person you're talking about is. As already mentioned in this thread, there are girls and women who have been told off for beng "too thin"-- it's all the same crap in our society, where everyone thinks that how another person looks is their business.

I said it was nasty. I didn't have anything against it. All I said was I thought it was nasty. It's not like every bony girl I see...I would say something bad. I have 3 or 4 friends who are. I guess how I put it sounded wrong. Even if you are bony, you are still beautiful.

I said it was nasty. I didn't have anything against it. All I said was I thought it was nasty. It's not like every bony girl I see...I would say something bad. I have 3 or 4 friends who are. I guess how I put it sounded wrong. Even if you are bony, you are still beautiful.

I don't necessarily find it nasty for a girl to be really thin, but at the same time, it makes me wonder if she's at least healthy. I'll admit, I'm not really healthy because I love my junk food and lounging around and I know it's not good for my body/health, but at the same time, I accept the fact that I'm mainly all bones and there's nothing I can do about it. I have days where I look at myself in the mirror and wish I weighed 10lbs more, but there's also days where I'm happy with my body because it's in my genes and there's nothing I can do to change that.

I really hope that you wouldn't say something bad about every single slender person you see. :/ How do your friends feel about you thinking they look nasty? Do they know? Or do you say, "Oh, but you're not thaaaaat bony" if they mention it.

I'm not trying to pick on you or anything- I just want to show you that insulting people for the way they look is not a good thing to do- you're doing the same thing as our fatphobic culture, but backwards, and it's just as hurtful to the people affected.

If you really think that everyone is beautiful, then you shouldn't insult people like that.

Why would I mention that to a friend? I really don't think of it that much. To me, It's just nasty to see a bone part. Doesn't mean I was saying that person was ugly. I'm not going to go up to someone and say something like "Ew, you are bony." That is just plain out rude.

Why would I mention that to a friend? I really don't think of it that much. To me, It's just nasty to see a bone part. Doesn't mean I was saying that person was ugly. I'm not going to go up to someone and say something like "Ew, you are bony." That is just plain out rude.

I think scoptophobia is trying to show that your opinion comes off in a hurtful way to some and she may have thought you vocalized your opinion to people that you see/talk to that are skinny.

Yes, some people find really skinny people disgusting, but the same could be said for obese people also.

I have struggled with my weight for years. I am underweight. At one point, I was considered clinically anorexic - not in the sense of having anorexia nervosa - but stress had caused me to lose about 15 pounds, dropping me from 97 to 82. My hair began to fall out, and I didn't menstruate for 10 months. People constantly tried to "help" me - I even had one person tell me that I should just eat sticks of butter. The doctors didn't believe me when I told them that I wanted to eat and had no problem with my body before losing weight. I was sent to a clinic that treated people with eating disorders, although I did not actually have an eating disorder. What I saw there was horrible. It's been about 5 years, and I gained everything back and more, as I've recently married and started the pill (we'll probably have kids, just not at this time). I'm just under 5 foot 4 inches and I weigh about 105 pounds. Unfortunately, most of the weight has landed itself in the upper regions of my body, and I've grown 2 cup sizes in less than a year. While many people would be ecstatic about that, I am not. I look young for my age, too, and most people can't believe I have a driver's license, let alone a husband. I hate shopping for clothes. It's a nightmare. Everything in my size makes me look like a prostitute - shirts that I fall out of, skirts that barely cover my butt, etc. I don't want to wear old lady clothes - I just want something modest! The world's view of body image is so distorted. There is no happy medium.

I have struggled with my weight for years. I am underweight. At one point, I was considered clinically anorexic - not in the sense of having anorexia nervosa - but stress had caused me to lose about 15 pounds, dropping me from 97 to 82. My hair began to fall out, and I didn't menstruate for 10 months. People constantly tried to "help" me - I even had one person tell me that I should just eat sticks of butter. The doctors didn't believe me when I told them that I wanted to eat and had no problem with my body before losing weight. I was sent to a clinic that treated people with eating disorders, although I did not actually have an eating disorder. What I saw there was horrible. It's been about 5 years, and I gained everything back and more, as I've recently married and started the pill (we'll probably have kids, just not at this time). I'm just under 5 foot 4 inches and I weigh about 105 pounds. Unfortunately, most of the weight has landed itself in the upper regions of my body, and I've grown 2 cup sizes in less than a year. While many people would be ecstatic about that, I am not. I look young for my age, too, and most people can't believe I have a driver's license, let alone a husband. I hate shopping for clothes. It's a nightmare. Everything in my size makes me look like a prostitute - shirts that I fall out of, skirts that barely cover my butt, etc. I don't want to wear old lady clothes - I just want something modest! The world's view of body image is so distorted. There is no happy medium.

Ugh, I'm so sorry that you had to deal with doctors that didn't actually believe you. :( I can totally understand not being happy with your weight residing mostly in your hissis- finding clothes is hard enough at your size, it sounds like- trying to find clothes small enough, but make room for your hissis must be a nightmare. :/

This may be a silly question, but have you looked online for retailers that cater to very slender women? I've found that the internet generally has something for everyone.

(Congrats on your recent marriage, btw. :3)

Ugh, I'm so sorry that you had to deal with doctors that didn't actually believe you. :( I can totally understand not being happy with your weight residing mostly in your hissis- finding clothes is hard enough at your size, it sounds like- trying to find clothes small enough, but make room for your hissis must be a nightmare. :/

This may be a silly question, but have you looked online for retailers that cater to very slender women? I've found that the internet generally has something for everyone.

(Congrats on your recent marriage, btw. :3)

Thank you :) I've found that certain retailers have more options in my size, and I've learned that I need to buy separates - i.e. I don't buy dresses or one piece bathing suits. Skirts and tops and two-piece bathing suits with mix and match sizes work much better. My biggest challenge is finding bras that fit. A 34D isn't very common, and since one side is bigger than the other, it's hard to find things that work. I hate feeling like I'm going to pop out of things.

Online retailers carry more sizes, but my size isn't consistent. Sometimes I wear a 0 or a 1, and sometimes I can get away with a 3. I'd have to order something and try it on when it arrived, hoping that it fits. It's easier to try on things at a store while I'm shopping.

Thank you :) I've found that certain retailers have more options in my size, and I've learned that I need to buy separates - i.e. I don't buy dresses or one piece bathing suits. Skirts and tops and two-piece bathing suits with mix and match sizes work much better. My biggest challenge is finding bras that fit. A 34D isn't very common, and since one side is bigger than the other, it's hard to find things that work. I hate feeling like I'm going to pop out of things.

Online retailers carry more sizes, but my size isn't consistent. Sometimes I wear a 0 or a 1, and sometimes I can get away with a 3. I'd have to order something and try it on when it arrived, hoping that it fits. It's easier to try on things at a store while I'm shopping.

(Does TDN have a filter that replaces bre asts as 'hissis'? o_O I couldn't have mistyped that twice!)

:( This is why having consistant sizing would be really nice. I do feel your pain on that- I've gone into stores where I don't fit an XL, and others where a S is perfect. So frustrating.

-nods- Yeah, that is the problem with online shopping. Crappy. :(

I remember one time I was at school and a staff member wanted to look up my favorite store(Torrid)and she asked, knowing that's where I buy most of my clothes "Now, I'm not going to see fat and blubber am I?" I was in tears.

Insulting somebody for how they look...it's terrible!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's been told to eat sticks of butter. That's awful that your doctors didn't believe you though. My docs thought I had thyroid issues since my half-sister had the same issue with not gaining weight and it was her thyroid. When they found out that it wasn't that, they thought I had diabetes...I crashed that test when I had Southern sweet tea before getting blood drawn. Congrats on the marriage though! As for the pill, it's one way of gaining weight also. I'm actually on it because of bilateral ovarian cysts and for the most part, they're having the opposite effect on me...the ladies are smaller most days, but then I have days where they're bloated looking. Mine blossomed right before 8th grade and have been haunting me since. I'm now in between 32C and 32D (there's only 1 store I know of that carries either size), yet I have the body of a 10 year old kid lol. I have never been able to buy a pair of anything because I can fit in size 10 girls shorts and a medium top, which only fits the chest but is baggy elsewhere. In junior sizes, I wear 00 and rarely a 0. Have you tried stores like Pac Sun for jeans/skirts? Almost all of my jeans are...Bullhead I believe; they're a pretty penny in my opinion, so I usually stock up whenever they have a sale on them. I believe some Mossimo pants fit nicely on petite people.

I'm sorry that happened Naamah, that's quite cruel of them. I personally love the clothes they have in Torrid, and the people who I know shop there look amazing in the clothes.

I remember one time I was at school and a staff member wanted to look up my favorite store(Torrid)and she asked, knowing that's where I buy most of my clothes "Now, I'm not going to see fat and blubber am I?" I was in tears.

Insulting somebody for how they look...it's terrible!

What a horrible thing to say to someone! And she works in a school? Shame on her, for christ's sake. >:(

I offer lots of hugs if you want them!

That is rather awful, to have a teacher say that. Sometimes I wonder where they find these people...

There is a PacSun in a mall near my house. I'm not into the mall so much - I have issues with teenagers, particularly girls (No offense to anyone, I mean teenagers in general and the attitude that they display. Certainly not all teens are irritating - I have plenty of younger friends that I love). Target has some clothes that fit me, and they are a little more reasonable. I've cycled between Kohl's, JC Penney's, and Old Navy for several years now, plus whatever hand-me-downs I get from friends. 32C-D is almost impossible to find. 32 anything is hard to find. I used to wear a 32, so I can sympathize.

I'm not a fan of the mall either, and try to go only when I know kids are in school so I don't feel the need to strangle anyone lol. None of my sister's hand-me-downs fit as she grew out of the weight issue during middle school, and I'm still stuck at it. Even my youngest niece (who's 9) can wear bigger pants than me. VS is the only store that carries my size, so I always end up having to save up before even stepping foot in their store (or on their website) because I never spend less than $125.