Body Image

Naamah D.

Our society has become obsessed with being thin. Me, being the heavy, plus size girl I am, has had to deal with "You'd be blah blah blah if you'd lose some weight." While I am normally happy with how I look, society and people have brought me down.

I remember wearing my favorite dress to school and a staff member said "Nice job on wearing a dress today, I know that's a big step for you." When I was perfectly happy with how I looked before I wore the dress.

A study said that plus size models shouldn't walk the runway because it shows young girls and women that "leading an unhealthy lifestyle is okay."

What defines healthy? With the exception of my gluttony during the holidays(if you had an Irish-American chef for a mom you would be too), I am a cautious eater and my mom is very good at telling me what's healthy and what's not healthy.

Healthy should be a mindset and an overall way in how you care for yourself(eat, hygienic care etc...), and emotional thing. Not a dress size or a number on a scale.

I completely agree. Being a UK size 10 or 12, I'm quite happy with my figure, the only thing that bothers me is that I'd like my stomach to be flatter as a personal accomplishment (I must agree that I'm a lazy butt and don't ever exercise, but I'm working on that).

However. I do not believe that this 'ideal size' is a new thing whatsoever. For centuries the corset has been used to enforce an 'ideal' shape in woman, and I think it's only recently that the corset has become internalized in it's modern equivalent.

What bothers me the most than this modern equivalent of the corset though, is that it's being enforced by the media, that if you are not the "perfect shape" then you are not healthy.

Let's take a look at the "perfect shape" - A gap between the thighs running down to the knee, a completely flat stomach and stick thin arms. Does that sound healthy? It sounds more like it's promoting anorexia to me. My thighs have always been touching when I stand legs together, and I've been a huge athlete in my youth.

If larger women are not allowed to walk the catwalk because it shows young girls and women that "leading an unhealthy lifestyle is okay", then I say that thin women are not allowed to either. Because anorexia can be equally as damaging.

I'd rather be my size 18-24(2x-3x) in top and size 18 in jeans than be a size 00 in jeans and have to shop in the girls department for tops. Some skinny girls look really scary and not in a funny way.

There is no "ideal size". I really think people overreact to this; there is actually a lot of stigma going the other way as well. Women are targeted in the media for being "too thin" as well as being "too fat". Everywhere you go there are double standards and contradictions, you cant generalise it like that and make it seem like there's only one side to the story.

I'm a size 6 and if anyone called me anorexic because of that I would seriously hit the roof.

The UK average is a size 14. The only reason there's such crap about this is because models are stick then - well, they sort of have to be. They are in effect, a walking coat hanger for the clothes to hang off of. That's all. And there are plus size models and modelling agencies specifically for plus size models - just not on the mainstream catwalk for all the couture stuff. That is unfortunately something that I can't see changing very soon :/

Being healthy is a frame of mind, but health in your body does also exist as well and it shouldn't be so easily dismissed. The Body Mass Index is what Doctors use to see if you're overweight or not. Eating healthily and having a positive outlook doesn't necessarily mean you are healthy, but it definitely will help with general well-being.

Let me put it this way for instance; if your doctor told you that you that your child was overweight and if he didn't lose some he would have heart problems for the rest of his life - would you continue as you are or would you make your child lose the weight?

It really depends on what your doctor says overall really I suppose as to whether or not someone is truly healthy, a magazine shouldn't be able to tell you that. I find that it's impressionable people that find themselves pressured by the media and end up starving themselves to look like celebrities.

There are a lot of icons out there that are curvalicious and completely admired for it - Beyonce, Marilyn Monroe and Beth Ditto, to name a few. Personally I prefer woman with more meat on their bones and I know for a fact that a lot of men do as well! The curvy look is actually coming back in a big way from what I've seen - Alternative models are favoured for their curves ^_^

There is no "ideal size". I really think people overreact to this; there is actually a lot of stigma going the other way as well. Women are targeted in the media for being "too thin" as well as being "too fat". Everywhere you go there are double standards and contradictions, you cant generalise it like that and make it seem like there's only one side to the story.

I'm a size 6 and if anyone called me anorexic because of that I would seriously hit the roof.

The UK average is a size 14. The only reason there's such crap about this is because models are stick then - well, they sort of have to be. They are in effect, a walking coat hanger for the clothes to hang off of. That's all. And there are plus size models and modelling agencies specifically for plus size models - just not on the mainstream catwalk for all the couture stuff. That is unfortunately something that I can't see changing very soon :/

Being healthy is a frame of mind, but health in your body does also exist as well and it shouldn't be so easily dismissed. The Body Mass Index is what Doctors use to see if you're overweight or not. Eating healthily and having a positive outlook doesn't necessarily mean you are healthy, but it definitely will help with general well-being.

Let me put it this way for instance; if your doctor told you that you that your child was overweight and if he didn't lose some he would have heart problems for the rest of his life - would you continue as you are or would you make your child lose the weight?

It really depends on what your doctor says overall really I suppose as to whether or not someone is truly healthy, a magazine shouldn't be able to tell you that. I find that it's impressionable people that find themselves pressured by the media and end up starving themselves to look like celebrities.

There are a lot of icons out there that are curvalicious and completely admired for it - Beyonce, Marilyn Monroe and Beth Ditto, to name a few. Personally I prefer woman with more meat on their bones and I know for a fact that a lot of men do as well! The curvy look is actually coming back in a big way from what I've seen - Alternative models are favoured for their curves ^_^

I agree with everything you said but I just wanted to point out that BMI is bull.

My BMI says I'm obese but I eat healthy, I'm going to start exercising again(I've had strep throat and have been sick), and am completely happy.

I'm also assuming that your example of the overweight child would be an extreme case scenario.

I don't understand how the BMI is bull? That's exactly what it's measured for, to see if people are obese for the height that they are. It's not a scale of all-round healthiness, and it's not a scale of happiness either. I'm not sure you understood what I was trying to say about them all those things needing to be together in order to be completely healthy in the eyes of a doctor.

I used that as an example because I find it easier to relate to, sometimes imagining yourself in the situation isn't enough; I personally have to imagine someone I do or would feel very dearly about in order to see what is the best thing to be done. I don't care about myself as much I would do a child.

The Body Mass index takes into consideration only a person's height and weight. There are so many factors on top of that, making the BMI void, or at least much more complicated.

For example, muscle weighs just as much as fat. This alone will imply that a muscular individual could in fact weigh the same as an unfit individual with little muscle. An athlete could very well come out on the BMI chart as overweight or obese when they have little fat on their body.

Different people also have different frame sizes, and BMI does not take this into consideration, making it inacurate and hardly factual for many people.

Lots of interesting things in this thread that I'd like to chime in on:

1) Society's obsession with thinness: I think the size that the advertising, fashion, and even film/television industry presents as "beautiful" is painfully skewed. The fashion and advertising industries are particularly guilty of this. Fashion designers literally want girls who will act as "walking clothes-hangers" for their clothes. Advertisements photoshop out every single "imperfection" that girls who are already skinny have. What does this tell us? Skinny = beautiful. Every now and then a plus-sized or averaged-size actress/model will gain popularity and break the mold, but she's still the odd one out, the "not-normal" one. To present one ideal of beauty is horrible. This also leads society to begin viewing size 0-2 as "healthy" and normal, when it's not at all! This leads me to my second thought:

2) Not just beauty, but HEALTH comes in several sizes too! You can be thin, plump, or anything in between and be healthy. You can also be thin, plump, or anything in between and be unhealthy. Thin does not always equal healthy, and neither does fat. The skinny girl who only eats junk food and never exercises is probably not as healthy as the girl who weighs 25 lbs more, eats nutritious food, and exercises regularly.

3) BMI: I do believe BMI to be a good general guideline for what a healthy weight is. Like Saxen said, "It's not a scale of all-round healthiness, and it's not a scale of happiness." Nor does it take factors like muscle into account. Similar to what Lozzie pointed out, athletes may seem "overweight" according to JUST their BMI, but that athlete may have a lot of muscle, and very little fat, and be in great shape. However, if you're BMI tells you that you're underweight, overweight, or even obese, it serves as a good warning flag that maybe you should improve your nutrition or exercise habits.

4) Health and obesity: Quite simply, there is an extremely strong correlation between obesity (BMI of 30 or more) and poor health. This just cannot be denied. Obesity is actually the 2nd highest cause of preventable death in the United States. If you are young and obese, you probably do not have most, or any, of the many, many health problem associated with obesity (high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, types of cancer). However, the older you get, and the fatter you get, the higher your chances are for having these diseases.

5) Mental health: Whatever size you are, I firmly believe that self-acceptance and self-love are crucial. Even if you're obese, love the body you have, and love all of the wonderful things about yourself. Just because you're not at your ideal weight doesn't mean you need to mope about it! Accept whatever size you are, but always pursue better health. I think that if you truly love yourself and your body, you'll want it to be the healthiest body it can be!

Sorry for writing such an essay. I'm really interested and passionate about this topic. :)

Let's take a look at the "perfect shape" - A gap between the thighs running down to the knee, a completely flat stomach and stick thin arms. Does that sound healthy? It sounds more like it's promoting anorexia to me.

Looking at the measurable parts of that statement (gap between thighs, flat stomach), I would like to point out that I fit into that category - considering I never exercise and eat just as much as anyone else I know (and perhaps overdosing on junk food more than I should) it seems unfair to label naturally thin people as anorexic.

For example, muscle weighs just as much as fat.

Pretty sure it actually weighs more /nitpick

Natural weight is something I do not often see mentioned in these debates; e.g. compare -

1. Me, nicknamed "rake", never does exercise, eats a healthy amount, sometimes eats too much unhealthy food.

2. My friend, plays sport 5 days a week, eats extremely healthily and in correct portions, still chubby.

Who do you think is "healthier"?

EDIT: What glittery cupcake said, basically. However, I would still like to re-point-out that for some people, extremes of thinness is normal.

Looking at the measurable parts of that statement (gap between thighs, flat stomach), I would like to point out that I fit into that category - considering I never exercise and eat just as much as anyone else I know (and perhaps overdosing on junk food more than I should) it seems unfair to label naturally thin people as anorexic.

You're right, it is not fair to label naturally thin people as anorexic. Anorexia is a mental disease, not just a state of being underweight. However, I don't think Lozzie was trying to say skinny = anorexic, but rather, was trying to point out some of the observable, physical qualities of an anorexic individual.

Lots of interesting things in this thread that I'd like to chime in on:

1) Society's obsession with thinness: I think the size that the advertising, fashion, and even film/television industry presents as "beautiful" is painfully skewed. The fashion and advertising industries are particularly guilty of this. Fashion designers literally want girls who will act as "walking clothes-hangers" for their clothes. Advertisements photoshop out every single "imperfection" that girls who are already skinny have. What does this tell us? Skinny = beautiful. Every now and then a plus-sized or averaged-size actress/model will gain popularity and break the mold, but she's still the odd one out, the "not-normal" one. To present one ideal of beauty is horrible. This also leads society to begin viewing size 0-2 as "healthy" and normal, when it's not at all! This leads me to my second thought:

2) Not just beauty, but HEALTH comes in several sizes too! You can be thin, plump, or anything in between and be healthy. You can also be thin, plump, or anything in between and be unhealthy. Thin does not always equal healthy, and neither does fat. The skinny girl who only eats junk food and never exercises is probably not as healthy as the girl who weighs 25 lbs more, eats nutritious food, and exercises regularly.

3) BMI: I do believe BMI to be a good general guideline for what a healthy weight is. Like Saxen said, "It's not a scale of all-round healthiness, and it's not a scale of happiness." Nor does it take factors like muscle into account. Similar to what Lozzie pointed out, athletes may seem "overweight" according to JUST their BMI, but that athlete may have a lot of muscle, and very little fat, and be in great shape. However, if you're BMI tells you that you're underweight, overweight, or even obese, it serves as a good warning flag that maybe you should improve your nutrition or exercise habits.

4) Health and obesity: Quite simply, there is an extremely strong correlation between obesity (BMI of 30 or more) and poor health. This just cannot be denied. Obesity is actually the 2nd highest cause of preventable death in the United States. If you are young and obese, you probably do not have most, or any, of the many, many health problem associated with obesity (high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, types of cancer). However, the older you get, and the fatter you get, the higher your chances are for having these diseases.

5) Mental health: Whatever size you are, I firmly believe that self-acceptance and self-love are crucial. Even if you're obese, love the body you have, and love all of the wonderful things about yourself. Just because you're not at your ideal weight doesn't mean you need to mope about it! Accept whatever size you are, but always pursue better health. I think that if you truly love yourself and your body, you'll want it to be the healthiest body it can be!

Sorry for writing such an essay. I'm really interested and passionate about this topic. :)

I was going to outline certain bits and pieces but I thought I may as well quote the whole thing cause I agreed with all of it XD Saved me from having to explain why the BMI isn't necessarily a bunch of hooey which was awesome :D Sure it does vary from person to person and there are factors, but at the end of the day it is a good general guideline, I do fully support the whole BMI deal. If we didn't have it it would just be doctors guessing, which wouldn't be uniform and would lead to different results for different people depending on the GP. Something like that needs to be in place, there isn't a more accurate alternative. (... just realised I explained it anyway lol)

I was going to outline certain bits and pieces but I thought I may as well quote the whole thing cause I agreed with all of it XD Saved me from having to explain why the BMI isn't necessarily a bunch of hooey which was awesome :D Sure it does vary from person to person and there are factors, but at the end of the day it is a good general guideline, I do fully support the whole BMI deal. If we didn't have it it would just be doctors guessing, which wouldn't be uniform and would lead to different results for different people depending on the GP. Something like that needs to be in place, there isn't a more accurate alternative. (... just realised I explained it anyway lol)

Heh, thanks dear! You make a great point too, about the importance of uniformity and having medical standards.

Actually, a while back I read an article about organ fat. Apparently, fat directly under the skin isn't as dangerous as fat inside the "belly cavity", so where all your organs are at. They said that really skinny people often have a lot of organ fat, while bigger people usually have less of it. Please correct me if I am wrong on this though, I just scanned over it.

And healthy has to do with so many other things too... Personally, I am a (USA) jeans size 8 and I am very tall. The only reason I have the size 8 though, is because I have very wide hipbones.When I wear dresses I usually wear a 6, or sometimes a 4 depending on the brand, fabric, etc. I don't feel good the way I am now. I am 6'2" and weigh about 145 pounds right now. 5 years ago I weighed about 170 pounds and I felt on top of the world. This of course has a lot to do with the fact that I have had a lot going on the last couple years, I am deficient on a couple vitamins, and have a lot of colon and stomach problems. It is a big fight for me to gain a pound. So, looking at that, I would never say that a 200 pound short girl would be less healthy than me.

It is all in the way you look at it.

I do think though, that the BMI thing is a good starting point. Of course it wouldn't go for certain groups (athletes mostly) but it is a tool to help guide you. This does not mean it is a rule though and doctors should not use it like that.

I don't think society is as obsessed at being thin as it used to be about 5-6+ years ago.

Now models are scrutinized for being too thin when before they were promoting it, and (near) regular sized women are being represented on runways and in magazines. Surely the women aren't the same size as the average woman but it's still better than what it used to be.

When I was a teenager (again 5-6 years ago) ad campaigns were very different. Now it is more health orientated, in my opinion, working on strength and health to be fit instead of doing what whatever it takes to be skinny.

I find it is waaay more socially accepted to be "bigger" (use that loosely) especially with celebrities who represent the average woman now being more mainstream - even their weight loss secrets are healthier and promote both healthy eating and physical activity.

A study said that plus size models shouldn't walk the runway because it shows young girls and women that "leading an unhealthy lifestyle is okay."

What study is this? Sounds more like personal opinion than a study.

I came on to this board filled with a thousands things I wanted to type in regards to body image but fortunately Saxen and Cupcake pretty much beat me to the punch!

However, when it comes to health, obesity is a serious problem and needs to be addressed. I lost two relatives from Type 2 Diabetes, which was both the result of genetics and a higher weight. The death sentence to my family seems to be diabetes. It wasn't pretty. They both lost circulation to their legs and their legs had to be amputated. The media may portray being skin as ideal, but losing your legs is even worse.

I'm not against people being loving themselves but I'm not for people "accepting" themselves if their weight is creating or can create a potential problem. All of you have probably witnessed a person who appeared to be overweight and not being doctors yourselves probably concluded it wasn't safe. If you are completely healthy but look over weight then it doesn't matter. But there's an easily visible point where your weight is dangerous, and there's simply no way you're entirely healthy. Likewise with being too skinny. Body image falls second to your overall health; if you're dangerously overweight, yes, you need to love yourself but you also need to change for your own health.

I know there's a lot of negatives against "not being yourself", but the reality is that we are a social species who adapt and grow by copying each other. We don't have to do for everything. Being too skinny and being overweight creates health problems, preventable health problems. It's the same thing with smoking.

I was overweight. I was 150 in College but dropped to 121 afterwards. I somehow increased to 125 lbs which is where I am now. I'm at a healthy weight but I'm not entirely healthy. I fail to exercise regularly. It's probable there are a lot of skinnier/thicker people who are much healthier than me and that I may have my own health issues if I fail to exercise. I acknowledge this.

I have a lot of curves. And curves are beautiful. But we're not all blessed with curves either. We all have different ideas of beauty but health can be pretty straightforward.

Your best bet? Go consult your doctor. Check your blood pressure. Check your muscle mass. None of us are doctors.

Lilshadowdweller, I'm so sorry to hear about your relatives. Thank you for sharing your personal story with us.

I'm also proud of you for reaching a healthy weight! I know you said you don't exercise regularly, but you seem very aware of your own strengths and weaknesses, and that is at least the first step. ;)

Your post also got me thinking a lot about mental health vs. physical health, particularly when you wrote, "Body image falls second to your overall health; if you're dangerously overweight, yes, you need to love yourself but you also need to change for your own health." I absolutely agree with the second part of your statement, but I'm starting to wonder about the first part. Of course, I certainly think we should all strive to achieve both physical and mental health (like having a positive body image), but is one really more important than the other? I don't know...what does everyone think? Is physical health more or less important than mental health, or are they equally important?

Lilshadowdweller, I'm so sorry to hear about your relatives. Thank you for sharing your personal story with us.

I'm also proud of you for reaching a healthy weight! I know you said you don't exercise regularly, but you seem very aware of your own strengths and weaknesses, and that is at least the first step. ;)

Your post also got me thinking a lot about mental health vs. physical health, particularly when you wrote, "Body image falls second to your overall health; if you're dangerously overweight, yes, you need to love yourself but you also need to change for your own health." I absolutely agree with the second part of your statement, but I'm starting to wonder about the first part. Of course, I certainly think we should all strive to achieve both physical and mental health (like having a positive body image), but is one really more important than the other? I don't know...what does everyone think? Is physical health more or less important than mental health, or are they equally important?

I second that, I'm also sorry to hear about your family :( I completely agree with what you say about weight and diabetes, my boyfriend's family has a few diabetic members, I keep urging him to get a blood test but he doesn't listen to me :/

Both sides of my family is plagued by mental health problems, both from environmental issues growing up as well as ones passed down in genes. I can honestly say that without mental health, physical health just does not exist. I have BPD, as I'm sure other members of my family do also, and it has lead to a variety of health problems; headaches, nausea, panic attacks and rapid heart rate are some of the physical symptoms of my particular disorder (though it's different for everyone).

There is also the problem that if you're in a fragile mental state that you will do things that will increase your chances of health problems such as not eating or binge drinking, which of course have adverse affects on your body. Disorders such as a general depression that can be more short lived I suppose might not affect your physical health too much in the long-run. I think it really depends on what condition you have, how long you've had it and whether or not is can be treated.

Looking at the other perspective and at physical health, I think it's hard to have it without the mental, but it's not impossible. Being ill in any way would get you down - and again I think it comes down to what you have, how long you've had it and what can be done about it. Some people show incredible strength in the face of terrible ailments, and they still find happiness. Some peoples brains are just meant to cope better. Other people can get into a cycle of feeling down, getting ill, feeling downer, getting iller.. Think you know where I'm going with this :P.

So yeah.. If I were to give my roundabout opinion, I'd say they're both obviously very important, but I do feel that mental health is primary. That's probably me being bias, but I can't help it :P

There is an exceptionally huge difference between being slim and anorexic. The point I am making is that the media portrayal is dangerous in the fact that it could encourage slightly larger women to become anorexic because "they don't have the right shape".

E.g. "You don't have a flat and firm stomach, you're not the right shape" - a flat and firm stomach can take a lot of work to achieve, and for a lot of people if you're not spending hours a day in a gym, it's simply impossible.

"you don't have a gap between your thighs, you're too fat" - again, as stated above. I know people who are petit and yes, they do have that naturally. But not everyone is that shape. And if you're not, from all the media's portrayal on the perfect body this could lead to people becoming obsessive over the way they look.

The fact that a lot of mainstream shops also only cater to smaller sizes is also a big no-no, jake Jane Norman for example where their largest size is 12 (I've only ever seen a rare 14 in their shop, and it's been on items that are quite frankly, less appealing than Primark clothes).

The point I'm trying to make is that by portraying that "being this thin is the perfect shape" is a very wrong thing to do, because not everyone is thin. And by alienating the larger women it can have a potentially severe impact on their wellbeing.

Pretty sure it actually weighs more /nitpick

There's a certain amount of debate behind that, but if you read what I said, that only emphasises my point even further.

Actually, I feel that people seem to think there is a problem with being thin. There are many stereotypes about underweight white females with light coloured hair. I am about 10-15 pounds underweight. I get a lot of "ooh, you are sooo thin, have you thought about gaining some weight?" and even some "oh my gosh you are so scary thin you are CREEPING ME OUT. " It's very annoying. Also, I can't really help being super skinny either. I eat a load of chocolate and "junk food", and I don't exercise at all. Some people have told me I would be "healthier" if I would stop being vegetarian. There is no way I will do that just to be "healthy". Do you know where meat comes from? It's beyond disgusting. Discuss that in the Animal Rights topic, though. That's all I've got to say to you right now.

Actually, I feel that people seem to think there is a problem with being thin. There are many stereotypes about underweight white females with light coloured hair. I am about 10-15 pounds underweight. I get a lot of "ooh, you are sooo thin, have you thought about gaining some weight?" and even some "oh my gosh you are so scary thin you are CREEPING ME OUT. " It's very annoying. Also, I can't really help being super skinny either. I eat a load of chocolate and "junk food", and I don't exercise at all. Some people have told me I would be "healthier" if I would stop being vegetarian. There is no way I will do that just to be "healthy". Do you know where meat comes from? It's beyond disgusting. Discuss that in the Animal Rights topic, though. That's all I've got to say to you right now.

I myself am also a vegetarian; I think meat is pretty gross too. I don't think that being a vegetarian makes a person unhealthy at all, so long as you get protein from other sources. I also think your friends are wrong by telling you you should eat meat to be healthier, but I do think you could benefit from getting more calories from healthy, nutritional foods, and less from junk food. I apologize if I'm out of line for saying that. Like many have said, weight is only one indicator of overall health.

Call me a jerk or whatever but, I am of the opinion that girls that have been skinny their entire life are quick to jump judgements on heavier girls like myself.

Just because you are on the heavy side does not mean you are the "victim" on this debate. I get a load of crap from overweight girls who think that since I weigh like 90 pounds or so I am automatically a snob. Weight has nothing to do with personality! And also, Obesity is just as much a problem as anorexia. I hope you can be less prejudiced in the future.

Just because you are on the heavy side does not mean you are the "victim" on this debate. I get a load of crap from overweight girls who think that since I weigh like 90 pounds or so I am automatically a snob. Weight has nothing to do with personality! And also, Obesity is just as much a problem as anorexia. I hope you can be less prejudiced in the future.

I never said it did? And are you calling me obese?

EDIT: Okay what I said was stereotypical. I apologize.

Thank you guys. I take diabetes very seriously. Remind your diabetic relatives to monitor themselves - one bad fall could cause complications!

Nahemah, I'm so very sorry that there you have to be exposed to people like that. I hope you know that many of us disagree and frown upon such behaviour! I can see why you'd feel that way.

I heard vegetarian being mentioned in this topic and I strongly want to point out: if you are truly too skinny and don't feel healthy on a vegetarian diet, chances are, you are doing it incorrectly. It's important to ensure you substitute what you're missing from meat properly. I strongly advise you to study up on your meat alternatives. If you feel you are obtaining everything essential, then check with your doctor because again, your friends aren't doctors. I have a few vegetarian friends who are quite unhealthy; there's more to being vegetarian then simply avoiding meat products! Many nuts can provide some good essentials!

I've heard over weight people be sarcastic too "overly" skinny people too. This isn't a war. There are cruel people on both sides technically. But realistically, I can see over weight people having more of a backlash then skinnier people.

As for the question surrounding personal health, it goes full circle. Mental health is influenced by physical health in the same manner physical health is influenced by mental health. Trust me guys, I know about mental health. I suffer from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, specifically harm based. I don't drive because of OCD. I get frustrated easily because little things may bug me more. And most of my mental health problems are actually genetic. I'm pretty sure my tendency to have OCD was carried over by my father, who, although not diagnosed with OCD, displays plenty of physical traits.

But when it comes to the over weight or the under weight stating say, "I don't care what society thinks of me! I'm going to be skinny/fat because that's who I am regardless of my overall health" I can't agree with it, unless their weight is actually healthy.

Keep in mind genetics plays a role too. Some people will be over weight/ very skinny for most of their lives and seemingly not experience health problems. But why take that risk?

If you feel you need to get your mental health issues sorted out firstly, by all means, take that step first. Gaining weight / losing weight takes a lot of time.