Is it Legal

barkie

You can, but only up to an extent. You can only boost the bidding price by only 5000 NP more than the asking price, anything past 5000 NP more than the current asking price will be negated due to the fact that this is considered rigging the auctions.

I would say that's probably against the rules if you're not planning on actually buying the item, but I'm not 100%.

I don't see how they could claim this because the point of an auction is to bid up the price.

You also shouldn't worry about the price too much at this stage, since it's a 24 hour auction. A lot more interest and people bidding will happen in the last few hours/minutes. Until then you're just locking up you neopoints for the day -IMO

I don't see how they could claim this because the point of an auction is to bid up the price.

You also shouldn't worry about the price too much at this stage, since it's a 24 hour auction. A lot more interest and people bidding will happen in the last few hours/minutes. Until then you're just locking up you neopoints for the day -IMO

Thanks for that, I was not sure and I would like to help anyone I can plus If I was to win the auction it would be okay as I would re-auction it for the nps I spent that way everyone is happy...

I believe so. I've seen it done on the HC many times (someone posts a topic asking for people to raise their auction price to selling price after a mistake), and if anyone those people would point it out if it were against the rules. Besides, it's a krawk morph, I would think it is bound to go up to near selling price anyway.

I believe so. I've seen it done on the HC many times (someone posts a topic asking for people to raise their auction price to selling price after a mistake), and if anyone those people would point it out if it were against the rules. Besides, it's a krawk morph, I would think it is bound to go up to near selling price anyway.

That was I thought also but I am always worried about doing some thing new. I also like to be able to help people if I can but wouldn't want it to make it bad for them or me either.

I've done that before to help someone. My friend put something in an auction and forgot to change the starting bid amount, so her item was set to something MUCH less than it was worth. We all just helped her get it up to a normal starting price and then let others start the bidding war from there.

I mean, how is TNT going to know what your intentions are? If you think you're being helpful, go for it.

I've bumped up my friends auctions before, as in they told me it was at a low price, and I'd bid, but if I won, I'd keep the item. I wouldn't bid on something I didn't want. They're sort of advertising their auction to me as a friend, and I'm casually bidding, I wouldn't keep up with the item until the last few mins of auction time, but whenever I saw someone outbid me, I'd bid. If I didn't win in the end, that was alright, and if I did, I'd keep the item.

Hmmmm, I remembered a question like this from an Editorial, so I looked it up. It's not exactly your scenario, but you might want to think twice about driving up the price of an item or send in a question to the Editorial yourself.

From Editorial 467:

Hey, TNT! *tosses a fuzzy pillow* I have a somewhat perplexing question that is entirely hypothetical (but interesting nonetheless) and stems from my frustration over certain hard to sell items in my trades. Suppose a Neopian puts an item up for auction on their main account. To drive up the price of the item they are auctioning and pique the interest of other Neopians who are scouring the auctions, they transfer Neopoints to side account A and bid on the item. They then transfer some more Neopoints to side account B and use this account to bid on the item, switching back and forth between side accounts to gather interest and make the item seem highly contested (and, therefore, as if it were a good buy). Is this allowed if all of the bidding funds come from the user's main account? Again, this is entirely hypothetical. Please remove my username. ~username removed

The hypothetical entity performing such shenanigans would be considered a scammer and be frozen, as he or she would be purposely trying to trick others in order to increase their profits.

I just know it's not allowed on Ebay so I assumed XD

I've never actually been on Ebay, but from my understanding, the auction works like this:

People bid. Somebody wins. That person ponies up the money. Unfortunately, sometimes they can't, so the seller turns around to the next seller and asks if that person still wants it for the last bid they put in. People can cheat with this easily: they have one person bid higher than the previous person until the end of the auction to raise up the prices, then at the end the seller ends up selling to the second highest price.

Neopets is different. You actually have to give up the np until the auction is over, and therefore there's no risk of that. If you accidentally win, then you don't get your np back, so rigging the auctions in that respect is kind of useless.

I would say, though, don't bid unless you actually want the item for anything, even if it's for reselling purposes. If you do win, what would you do with it?

There was an Editorial about helping people who mistakenly misprice their auction items. (The question is specifically about when the person offers a refund, but as you can see below, it's okay to help a user this way.)

The original Editorial is HERE.

Sometimes I see people on the Neoboards frantically posting, "MISPRICED AUCTIONS! HELP AND I'LL GIVE YOU A FULL REFUND." I was wondering if this could be considered a scam, because it's all-too-easy for a nice member to help bump up the price but not receive the refund. Please leave my username out. Thanks. ~username removed

It's certainly risky, but unless it's happening suspiciously often, or the person indeed doesn't live up to their agreement of a full refund, we wouldn't consider it a scam. As always, it's nice to be helpful to other players, but do understand the risks of such assistance.

So, if I don't give you guys a refund I'll get frozen? I can't freaking believe myself! There is no way I can come up with enough to repay everybody!!!! Good thing I have an empty email.

So, if I don't give you guys a refund I'll get frozen? I can't freaking believe myself! There is no way I can come up with enough to repay everybody!!!! Good thing I have an empty email.

No! That's not what it means. The situation mention in the Editorial is that the person is promising to re-pay. You never said you would, so you don't need to. (Plus, only the person who wins the item, is out the NP. Everyone who bids, and doesn't get it, gets their NP back. So even if you had promised to repay, you'd only have to do the winning bid.)

My reason for posting, was that TNT said it was okay to help people out who misprice their items. Besides, I believe most of the members here that have said they'd help, said they'd keep the item and re-sell (or use) if they won, so they wouldn't expect/want you to give them their NP back.

Bidding on your own auction from a side account is strictly forbidden .. but helping out a friend is not .. as Spritzie pointed out

The only scenario for a "repay" is if the bumper got the item and they don't actually want it .. so instead of getting stuck with it - the original owner re-buys it (for the same price) and auctions it off again - for the right price this time .. but if they break their promise and don't repay there's nothing much you can do about it - TNT will simply say "we warned you about that risk"

I did bump up an auction once and I ended up with a yellow Talisman bead that I had no use for ... and the owner didn't promise a repay .. but luckily i was able to re-sell it (with a profit)

Neo certainly have some double standards... You can help out a friend in the auctions but some people get frozen/warned/silenced for gifting because it "unbalances the game". o_O

Neo certainly have some double standards... You can help out a friend in the auctions but some people get frozen/warned/silenced for gifting because it "unbalances the game". o_O

So there's a chance I will get frozen because of this? Oh God....

So there's a chance I will get frozen because of this? Oh God....

NO. You will not get frozen, that's not what I'm saying at all. I was merely making an observation about Neopets rules and how they don't make a whole lot of sense.

NO. You will not get frozen, that's not what I'm saying at all. I was merely making an observation about Neopets rules and how they don't make a whole lot of sense.

Okay, good good good. I trust everybody on here that said I won't.