Are you embarrassed?

eddie

Sometimes, I feel like I'm embarrassed to play Neopets, not because of my pets or anything, but simply because it seems so childish, yet it's my addiction... I don't know how to convince myself otherwise. Does anyone else feel the same way?

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie).

The topic was posted in the wrong area.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this topic.

Per the reason above, this topic has been MOVED from ‘Your Life’ to ‘Neopets General Chat’.

No because I don't talk about it to anyone.

"I'll keep my pets my dirty little secret

Dirty little secret

Dirty little secret

Hope that you can keep it

My dirty little secret

Who has to know?"

I gave up on being embarrassed - everyone has something like that that they enjoy, mine just happens to be cute :D My friends know I play, actually one of them got me hooked oh so many years ago. I also got my boyfriend into it, though he still claims he's playing it just to see what other web and game developers do (he's a comp sci), but a few weeks ago I caught him going through the colour combinations in the rainbow pool and making notes of the ones he likes :D

Bottom line, there's nothing wrong with Neopets - watching cartoons has long been removed from the 'children-only' list, and Neopets isn't much different.

For me and Neopets, I am never embarrassed about my love for it. I'm never afraid to show my love for Neopets in any non-Neopets forum I'm a member of, but not very many people in real life know that I'm Neopets-obsessed however. I've known some more childish things, and I never really found Neopets all that childish in my humble opinion.

Also Nimphal, that bottom line of yours was one of the things that I always thought about Neopets. Great minds do think alike.

Naww, I'm not embarrassed. I really enjoy Neopets and I really don't mind who knows it ^^. I can completely understand where you're coming from though, I used to feel that way when I was younger -- but Neopets is actually really cool! The whole thing of "virtual pet site" makes it seem childish, but there are some really talented people who play Neopets and make the game a lot more adult-like, eg. The Neopian Times, Poetry Competition, Art Gallery etc. I've found it's really helped me hone my writing and my drawing, so I don't really see it as a kiddy site, despite there being a lot of kids on there. I find it really depends how you look at it and which parts of the site you visit :P

I am not embarrassed at all. Not many people do know that I play, but it's just that it never came up. I am not going to run around telling people out of the blue that I am on neopets. If they ask about it I won't hesitate to tell the truth though.

My husband hates it though. He thinks it's for kids and that it eats up all my time. Yes, my habi does take a lot of time, but what is the difference between playing neo or watching movies? It's both entertainment, he loves his dvd's, I love neo. :)

And about the cartoons: I totally agree! I love cartoons too, by the way. :D Watching Dail M for Monkey right now, actually! :laughingsmiley: (Hubby thinks the same way about cartoons, so I only watch them when I am home alone. Same like he doesn't make me watch war movies, because I hate those.)

I guess it's all a live and let live, people shouldn't make fun of your hobbies, they wouldn't like it if you did that to theirs. :yes:

I'm not embarrassed to tell people that I play Neopets, though granted I don't go around yelling "I LOVE KACHEEKS!" to everyone I meet either, hahaha.

I like Neopets, I played it when I was a kid in middle school and now that I'm graduated from college, I've found I still like logging in and playing the web games. I think it's more interesting than playing Farmville or whatever Facebook games that a good amount of my friends waste time on and it's not at all addictive for me like playing a real MMORPG (such as FFXI or Aion) was for me. So it's a nice middle ground. :)

Bottom line, don't be worried about what other people think, you'd be surprised how many of your friends have similar secrets that they're also afraid to share with others but at the same time, if you don't want to tell anyone, then don't. :) We other Neopet addicts support you!

when i first joined neopets, people knew, now at the moment its probably just my parents. probably a little embarrassed :laughingsmiley: but i'm more of a computer game person than alot of my friends (or the computer people play WoW and stuff, which is not something i'm into.. i play AoE sometimes but a bit over it now)

and i dislike facebook. i have it because so many people, its how i can keep in contact with them, but i dislike how it changes all the time and i constantly have to update my privacy settings

Honestly, I'm not embarassed at all. I'm fairly open about it, the same way I am about loving Pokemon and adoring Hello Kitty (I've had little girls, probably about 3 or 4 walking past me in the street, seeing my bag and blurting out "Mummy, Hello Kitty!" x'D

It's nice to know if I ever have a child I'll actually be able to buy stuff that we'll both like.

But nah. I'm a firm believer in that if you keep it to yourself, you'll never meet people in real life with the same interests as you! ;D

Yes. If i want to play it in class i sit in the very back so nobody can see. I told someone once and was laughed at so now I keep it to myself except for my family. Gotta explain to them why I am always on my laptop.

Oofff, nobody knows that I play, but once word gets out I'm pretty sure I would be mocked... But atleast I get my fun out of neopets :D For those that aren't embarrassed, I'm sure that when you get to a certain age you just ignore how everyone else perceives you.

For those that aren't embarrassed, I'm sure that when you get to a certain age you just ignore how everyone else perceives you.

Oh, definately. I do think it's not just about being able to ignore, but the people you're around are more mature also. My relationship with Pokemon is a prime example - in fact, this comic here: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ABZgO1TJLQE/TbNhzI8TOgI/AAAAAAAAALw/ihdiMnCRCKc/s1600/PokeSchool.png pretty much sums up pokemon/neopets/etcetera for different age groups in my opinion. xD

I think in high school, the mental state of some kids is to mock others if they seem ever so slightly out of the norm, and because you have to put up with it every day at school, it's easier to just avoid. But once you're past that stage of caring/ have matured, it's far, far easier to be yourself and not care how others think, because you're not stuck to sharing a classroom/school with them every single day during the week.

Oh, definately. I do think it's not just about being able to ignore, but the people you're around are more mature also. My relationship with Pokemon is a prime example - in fact, this comic here: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ABZgO1TJLQE/TbNhzI8TOgI/AAAAAAAAALw/ihdiMnCRCKc/s1600/PokeSchool.png pretty much sums up pokemon/neopets/etcetera for different age groups in my opinion. xD

I think in high school, the mental state of some kids is to mock others if they seem ever so slightly out of the norm, and because you have to put up with it every day at school, it's easier to just avoid. But once you're past that stage of caring/ have matured, it's far, far easier to be yourself and not care how others think, because you're not stuck to sharing a classroom/school with them every single day during the week.

I love that picture lol! You bring up a valid point though... It's only been a year that I've been in highschool, but I've realized I've grown a personality of my own, and no one else's.

I used to worry a lot, but at this point everyone I know is a little weird. I think depending on which generation you were born into, and definitely your age group, it's something you just stop worrying about at some point - after all, it's just a liking for a silly little game. Many people have much darker secrets, and dark or not everyone's got secrets. ;)

I don't think I've ever been embarrassed to be on pet sites. It's something I've been doing for the past ten years which is almost half my life. Pretty much all my friends know I play, though my acquaintances don't. I don't shout about it from roof tops, but I certainly don't hide it.

I wouldn't say I'm completely embarrassed but I also wouldn't go announcing to people I first meet. My friends know I play but they don't really care. Af ew of them play too (I got one of my friends addicted lol) but I don't usually tell people that i play.

That comic was amazing! Thank you for sharing, hahaha. I think that's true for most people, I didn't care about people's opinions in high school either, but I was also a girly girl who was addicted to FFXI while my girly girl friends wanted to go shopping and thought I was extremely strange... course the irony is those same girls ended up marrying or getting engaged to all of my gamer guy friends, so who is laughing now ladies? :P

Nope, not for the most part. Sure I do have a lot of Neopets-related art on my devaintART account, but I have different watchers for diffferent things. Some of them are Noepets players, some aren't. I try to do my part for everyone though.

I am not embarrassed...in fact quite the opposite.... as it is a real winner with my grand children and great grand children and something that their parents are totally comfortable with us sharing as a pastime when they visit. I am not so sure they would be as happy if it was World of warcraft or some of the other games and sites that I have seen being viewed and played...

Well, i don't really talk about it, no, but i'm not embarrassed.

actually, i was playing on the laptop of a friend, and i saw neopets bookmarked and her account open, she was embarrassed when she saw me looking at her account, but then i showed her my account, and it was very cool :D

I think everybody should be able to do what they want to do, and that nobody should judge them for playing 'childish'-y games... teens and adults also like spongebob, so i don't know why neo is a bad thing...

nuf said :D