How do you see your relationship to your pets?

GuardianAwesome

To clarify...

Some people think of it as a parent/child kind of thing. They might have their pets call them "mom" or "dad" in their descriptions/NT entries. Others might see it as a literal owner/pet relationship, like something you would have with a dog or cat in real life, although I've rarely seen something like that. And then other people might think of their pets as pretty colored pixels and nothing more.

There are more types than that, but I was only showing examples.

As for me, I've always kind of been the "mommy" of my pets, especially when I was younger. I can't imagine them calling me "mom" though, so I guess it's a little different.

If this is in the wrong board, please move, thanks.

On really anything (their petpages, roleplaying, etc) I consider them my pets and I'm their owner. My three pets on my main account are siblings (the adopted kind) and they're cousins with the permanent pets from my other accounts.

When I was younger I thought of myself as their "mommy" though.

I'm really not sure how to describe the way I think of our relationship...

I guess They're my pets, But at the same time they're more like my best friends?

Basically, I see them the same way I see my dog...

Like. A companion, But... A pet, At the same time? O.o

I doubt anybody will understand this ><

I'm sure this is realy, really weird, but I seem them all as friends of mine. Yes, you heard me right. They're like imaginary friends. The way I've designed them as characters often does not match the way the appear on Neo and each have their own story and everything, and I often see them as people I know. I know it probably sounds crazy that I don't picture them as quadruped or animal like at all (hence the way I customise them), but the way I draw them is the way they all appear to me in my mind; and in dreams I have about them.

But that doesn't mean I care for them the way I should, and I most certainly do, in fact they are rather spoiled.

And yes, before you get worried, I do in fact have lots of RL friends.

Golly I am such a rambler!

To me they're best described as like crazy roommates. I'm just the friend who's really motherly and makes their food and makes sure they don't end up hating each other, but I'm not their mum. They way I'm wanting to construct their characters, they don't all stay at home while I boss them about. Some of them go off adventuring, some of them stay home, I'm going to have a few over different accounts (that is, they live in different "houses" in different parts of Neopia).

If I were to explain it in a real-life sort of context, it would be like moving into your friend's apartment with them which is owned by their aunt so your friend "lives" there when really they stay at their b/gf's house every night and the apartment is basically yours. So one of those stupidly complicated situations where despite it all, it all works out in the end.

EDIT: Adding to the weirdness, the way pets appear on lookups and on the boards etc. to me is like a photo. They're all dressed up and posed just right, but that's not necessarily how they look on a day to day basis.

Me and my relationship with my Neopets?

I used to view them as pets, but I view my Neopets more like family than anything. I care for my Neopets every time they get hungry or bored, and I do my best to always be there for them as well (even though I have stuff to do in real life as well as over here at TDNForums).

I've actually done some thinking about this now, and I don't think that I'm exactly motherly to them. I guess it's more of an owner/pet relationship, except they have their own personalities and act more like people than animals. The mother part might come from the fact that I don't usually think of them to be older than their teen years, so in a way, I'm raising them... I think.

My Neopets are my companions on my crazy wild adventures of imagination ...

When I'm in a dark mood I ask V00D00 and Kadavyir to help me cast spells ...

When I'm feeling wicked , I visit my Mutant Korbat and Lenny in their underground lairs ...

When I'm feeling good , I ask Peopha to take me on a sea voyage or Edhana for a space trip ...

When battling a fearsome opponent I ask Vasarius (robot hissi) to annihilate them ...

When I want to reminiscence about the past I ask my older pets , like my Desert Lupe and Kougra to come sit with me so we could talk about the good old days of Neopia

... and so on and so forth :)

*hope ya'll won't take me for a crazy person now*

My Neopets are my companions on my crazy wild adventures of imagination ...

When I'm in a dark mood I ask V00D00 and Kadavyir to help me cast spells ...

When I'm feeling wicked , I visit my Mutant Korbat and Lenny in their underground lairs ...

When I'm feeling good , I ask Peopha to take me on a sea voyage or Edhana for a space trip ...

When battling a fearsome opponent I ask Vasarius (robot hissi) to annihilate them ...

When I want to reminiscence about the past I ask my older pets , like my Desert Lupe and Kougra to come sit with me so we could talk about the good old days of Neopia

... and so on and so forth :)

*hope ya'll won't take me for a crazy person now*

Naw, that's actually really cute. :) I can see how that would work out. :)

I think of my pets as friends, and as made up characters. I like to give them personalities, and I'm finding ways to heal them when they lose their health.

• 3 weeks later...

You know, I kinda think of them like I think of my Pokemon. Kinda like pets but kinda like friends.

They will always, of course, come after my real time relationships.

If I don't feed them because I am inactive for a while, it does not break my heart, because they are pixels.

Sometimes I kinda wish they were real though. It would be cool, but kinda weird if they talked.

I don't really have any connection to the two pets I transferred over to my side account, though I do like the Buzz. I don't have any connection to my Eyrie, really, because he's a lab pet. I think my Xweetok and Kougra are pretty adorable. Overall though i don't feel a strong connection to them. I mean, I wouldn't want to just give them up, but I don't feel like they're legitimately pets or friends. They're data and pixels -shrug-

Hm...my relationship between my pets...that's kind of hard to describe. ;) it's kind of like an owner/pet relationship but like a relationship between roommates at the same time. I care for them, feed them, and give them a place to live but they go off on their own as much as they're with me. Most of them are siblings like Lully, Dusty, and Slash while others are just friends that i've adopted but i care for all of them a lot. I see them all as close friends as well. Since I'm not so good at making friends i just have my pets around and have fun with them--either going with Lully to the Deserted Fairgrounds or taking Slash to a concert. Yeah it sounds ridiculous but i have a close relationship with my pets. ^_^

I consider my neopets pretty pixels that I like to decorate and such. I want to give them characters, but even if they have personalities that I create, I still consider them pixels. I don't consider myself an "owner" of them, rather someone who works hard to make 'em look cool and such.

*And when others see them, I want them to be able to recognize the amount of work I put into them, kind of like an art form, y'know? Like you want people to be able to see your "work" - hehe.

**I think of them as a continuation of myself... like an addition to my personality.

I see them as characters (in a loving way), I'm not really sure what my role is really... All of my pets live elsewhere in their backstories, apart from when I eventually get my UC Faerie Shoyru s/he will live 'at home' ^^