Why doesnt Neopets do this for account id?

keithp

Instead of asking questions like "what were your past pets or trades" or what items are in your SDB, what they should be asking is info only we know, like Birthday,pets name, favorite tv show, stuff like that.

If your a newbie and accidently make a mistake, you might only have 1 pet, not done any trades, or have nothing in your SDB so cant answer many questions. I cant even remember what I have this isnt the game of Memory you know lol.

you are right .. I personally think this is silly .. not even newbies , but how do they expect an old user like me (old in both age and time spent on neo) to remember what trades I have done in the past or which pets I abandoned (I used to host a labray adoption account and gave out more than 35 pets for adoption) ...

I'm not a newbie but I'd struggle. I have no idea what shares I've recently sold (alot), what trades I'd made or even what colour my pets were originally (blue lupe is the only one I can remember).

If I ever lost my account I'd be stuffed as I can't remember a bleeding thing!

I've been playing for over 8.5 years. I could tell you the usernames of 5 of my first Neofriends. (That haven't been on my account in... 5-ish years.) I couldn't tell you trades, but I can go into detail about my pets, items in my SDB, etc.

I have a document on my computer where I keep all this information just in case. I hope I never need to use it, but it gives me peace of mind.

This.

It's so easy to keep track of, too. I mean, if something happens like a win or trade, just copy and paste the transaction. Save. Done. It gives you all the info you need, and is the easiest way to help get your account back.

I fail to see the logic that this system is unfair for newbies. All the have to say is that they haven't done any transactions and TNT can see that. lol They face no disadvantage for not doing anything. The point is to prove you know the history of your account.

I have a document on my computer where I keep all this information just in case. I hope I never need to use it, but it gives me peace of mind.

That's a really good idea.

For everyone else out there, here's some advice of what I would write down:

Books your pets read

Items in SDB

Amount of money in bank

How often you play/from where/IP addresses from where you play

List of neofriends

Names of pets, their colors/species/stats, ages, and some items they're wearing

site events you participated in and rank you got/game trophies

Number of avatars/Names of rarest and most difficult avatars you have

Past passwords/PINs (I doubt anyone would remember though)

Site themes you have

Exceptional high scores (whether you got trophies or not)

I know it's long, but if you really treasure your account, I would write these down!

And I think it's good that they ask these specific questions because it really verifies who you are. BUT TNT should really tell you when you sign up that a lot of info is needed to unfreeze your account....

Instead of asking questions like "what were your past pets or trades" or what items are in your SDB, what they should be asking is info only we know, like Birthday,pets name, favorite tv show, stuff like that.

If your a newbie and accidently make a mistake, you might only have 1 pet, not done any trades, or have nothing in your SDB so cant answer many questions. I cant even remember what I have this isnt the game of Memory you know lol.

Well if you are well known someone can always name your pets because they scammer writes it down. Birthday generally if a newfriend scams you they can scam and you don't post your favourite TV show, but it may work in the long run.

I'm not a newbie but I'd struggle. I have no idea what shares I've recently sold (alot), what trades I'd made or even what colour my pets were originally (blue lupe is the only one I can remember).

If I ever lost my account I'd be stuffed as I can't remember a bleeding thing!

Exact same here. At the point where I forgot my password for my very first account, I had played for like, a year and a half ish. Maybe a year. Anyway, somewhere around that point. I was also about five years old, and obviously I couldn't remember all the trades I'd done, all the information on my pets, all my SDB contents, etc. It's a little ridiculous. Especially if the impossible happened and I needed to ID my current acocunt, I have over one thousand items in my SDB. I'm not going to be able to remember that! What about the people who have hundreds of thousands of items in their SDB?

I've been playing for over 8.5 years. I could tell you the usernames of 5 of my first Neofriends. (That haven't been on my account in... 5-ish years.) I couldn't tell you trades, but I can go into detail about my pets, items in my SDB, etc.

I can go into detail on my pets, but that's just about it.. I want to meet whoever can remember every single detail about their account :P

This.

It's so easy to keep track of, too. I mean, if something happens like a win or trade, just copy and paste the transaction. Save. Done. It gives you all the info you need, and is the easiest way to help get your account back.

I fail to see the logic that this system is unfair for newbies. All the have to say is that they haven't done any transactions and TNT can see that. lol They face no disadvantage for not doing anything. The point is to prove you know the history of your account.

I like the sound of that system, but I would worry that the document would get too large or something. I'm not that techie, so I don't know if that'd happen.

It's unfair in the sense that newbies come into the game excited about a fun new game. But they don't k now that they should be taking notes on everything that they do, just in case something bad happens.

Not to mention it is also unfair to little kids who unfortunately fall prey to this disaster. How are the five and six year olds (like I was when I lost my first account) going to remember all that they did on their account?

That's a really good idea.

For everyone else out there, here's some advice of what I would write down:

Books your pets read

Items in SDB

Amount of money in bank

How often you play/from where/IP addresses from where you play

List of neofriends

Names of pets, their colors/species/stats, ages, and some items they're wearing

site events you participated in and rank you got/game trophies

Number of avatars/Names of rarest and most difficult avatars you have

Past passwords/PINs (I doubt anyone would remember though)

Site themes you have

Exceptional high scores (whether you got trophies or not)

I know it's long, but if you really treasure your account, I would write these down!

And I think it's good that they ask these specific questions because it really verifies who you are. BUT TNT should really tell you when you sign up that a lot of info is needed to unfreeze your account....

The only downside is what about the people who start that when their account is a few years old? *like mine rihgt now*

I *totally* agree. They could probably lessen up on some of the questions. Like name at least 50 items in your SDB or something. if someone hacks into an account, then they could easily remove items from the SDB to throw the hack-ee off. What person is going to remember ALL the IP addresses that they have played Neopets from? o.O

Yeah. And if you haven't played on a certain account in a really long time and you want it back you can't get it back because you dont even remember your username. How are you supposed to remember everything else? o.0

If I ever get banned on neopets I'll probably just quit anyways. Too much trouble trying to get it back

• 4 months later...

Yeah, I feel like the information needed to recover an account is something I would never have remembered. Luckily I was able to get back my old old account (8 years) by re-activating the Yahoo account I'd used to open it, but I didn't remember a THING about neofriends, trades or even pets...

I think it'd be more secure too if they just used security questions like most email accounts do - your first elementary school, parent's middle name etc.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not bump topics over 21 days old.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Spritzie if you have any questions regarding this action.