Abortion

CAV of Gang Green

I feel bad for you Rose. I have the same opinion, I'm not Pro-choice because I think life should be destroyed, but because women would and HAVE died from illegal abortions. Personally if something happened and I got pregnant I would give the baby up for adoption. I feel everyone should have a chance for life. Obviously I feel the exceptions though, because if a woman is raped it really is not good to force that child on her, even if she can give it up she would have to endure nine months of carrying her tormentors baby.

Women leaving abusive husbands and health risks I get too, I know one woman who found out she was pregnant after she filed for a divorce. She wanted children, but if she had HIS baby, he would be able to control her still and she couldn't live with the thought of that or of having her child endure the man either.

You are right though, I think it is foolish that many women regard their ability to have children as a given and take it for granted.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesse_Rocket - the morning after pill is different to abortion. It is erasing the chances of getting pregnant before you are pregnant. The early stage abortion pill is abortion, but as I said I have no issue with that either.

Turns out I was was mistaken about the advert I was talking about there, it had been a while since I'd seen it and I was merging it in my head with an advert which basically WAS for abortion.

I should clarify. :)

I'm not against the morning after pill, it's an effective form of emergency contraception. My beef with that particular ad was the context in which I first saw it, as a "your game will start after you've sat through this" thing for some random cute flash game I was playing, to which I was like "O RLY?". But I have no real moral problem with the morning after pill, except for the fact that it slightly diminishes the importance of actual thinking-ahead contraception.

The euphemistic "Are you Late?" was a radio advert from a while ago for Marie Stopes International, basically was advocating abortion, and my opinion about the phrasing used there still stands. Reducing the issue to a simple missed period, rather than raising the wider implications of what's going on, is not cool, in my book.

Y'know apparently many Catholics think it's a sin to use contraceptives? I dunno, just thought about that when I read Seliphra's post about them being against God.

And CAV is right about that. Does seem a bit contradictory, no? :laughingsmiley:

Exactly. The Catholic Bible is filled with so many holes that the whole thing becomes a book of lies. It's one of the reasons I turned athiest.

It was a method of control, he was an abuser and that was his form of abuse. She managed to leave him eventually but unfortunately when she tried to have a child with her second husband she kept miscarrying because her womb had been ruined.

That's just terrible. :(

Exactly. The Catholic Bible is filled with so many holes that the whole thing becomes a book of lies. It's one of the reasons I turned athiest.

Actually, to use the example of why the Catholic Church (not, generally, individual Catholics) is against contraception due to what the Bible says about not wasting one's "seed" ties in perfectly with their stance on abortion. The man cited in Selphira's example was just a very bad, abusive man using religion as an excuse for his actions. These people exist in every sector of society, and have nothing to do with what the Bible says, nor do they have any right to claim any kind of merits for what they choose to take and choose to ignore from scripture.

On the specific point about the Bible says about contraception, and the Catholic Church's opinions on the subject, "lies" and "holes" don't come into it. The problem there stems from taking a 3000 year old document literally, rather than adapting to the times. The Bible, with particular regards to the rules set out in the Old Testament, is in many ways not suited to modern life. That doesn't mean that's it's "wrong" or "lying", all it means is that people have to take the time to interpret it in a way that makes sense to their life. Or, as the case may be, not. Religion is not for everyone, but the least we can do is try to respect the fact that other people have those beliefs close to their heart for a reason, rather that just condemning them as idiots.

People have the right to believe what the want. And that's what it is, a belief. It means it's what we think, not what is fact. If I think religon is bullcrap, then I shall believe that. If someone believes that a donkey created the earth (don't know why, but just roll with it), then let him.

But the topic isn't religon. If possible, I'll make a debate about that later.

True dat, and I'm not trying to convert you :)

My point was (and seemingly it got lost in my ramblings) that the Catholic views on birth control have reasoning behind them, even if that reasoning is outdated and quite frankly, dangerous in this day and age, and the actions of one man using a claim of faith as an excuse to abuse his wife are not indicative of what the Bible says on the matter.

True dat, and I'm not trying to convert you :)

My point was (and seemingly it got lost in my ramblings) that the Catholic views on birth control have reasoning behind them, even if that reasoning is outdated and quite frankly, dangerous in this day and age, and the actions of one man using a claim of faith as an excuse to abuse his wife are not indicative of what the Bible says on the matter.

The thing with all religion is that it has to be taken in context. If you take everything literally without thinking about the very sensible reasoning that may have been behind it at the times of writing then you are going to sound rather silly. The Bible was written such a period of time ago that of course things will have changed and we need to change our interpretation due to that.

Sorry, what I'm trying to say is that I completely agree with you!

I'm not entirely sure if abortion is the best option simply because you are not ready. If you're not ready you shouldn't be doing the act that can create babies without using proper protection. You are responsible for your own actions.

Besides, there are many families out there that would like to have a child but can't and would love to adopt your baby.

Naturally, the only time I would support abortion is if sexual abuse is involved or if something was wrong medically (my friend's baby was growing on her tubes or something - of course they had to abort the pregnancy but that's another story that has a crazy ending).

I used to believe the "it's her body" philosophy but then I watched an episode of 16 and Pregnant. At first, the girls parents were pressuring her for an abortion. She decided against it at the last second. Then her parents started forcing her into adoption because they didn't want to take care of the baby and wanted their daughter to have a "teenage life". She again wavered back and forth but what was so heartbreaking was that the father wanted to keep the baby - yet he had no rights. It was so sad. In the end, the girl basically gave in to her parents wishes and they had to sign their baby away.

It's his child, too.

I agree with everything you've said. But I'm just going to reply to your last paragraph.

I agree that a woman should be able to choose, but there's so many factors. My best friend years ago, ended up accidentally getting his girlfriend pregnant, and she told him, told him she wanted an abortion, then ran and got one before he could say a word. It was really traumatic for him, because his mom had originally planned on aborting him, so he had huge issues with it. He'd been willing to do whatever it took to help her. And she didn't even talk to him about it.

I believe abortion should take place within the first few weeks of pregnancy. An almost fully developed human fetus should not be aborted, because by then it is too human. I believe this isn't too harsh considering in legal issues, babies are not considered 'alive' until they take their first breath of air. This world is already overpopulated and orphanages are already overcrowded with children their parents couldn't care for-some of which couldn't control becoming pregnant. At least if these children are never born then they won't go through a lifetime of suffering.

I have mixed feelings about abortion.

I can't have children due to the fact that it would be a severe health risk to me, thanks to a number of medical reasons that I won't go into. Suffice it to say that a long time ago, I decided I didn't want children. Consciously made the decision, based on facts. Lots and lots of facts. But I can't deny that I want kids, someday. Not now, of course, but someday. And knowing I can't have my own without a rather high risk of death, as well as the known complications that would occur after childbirth if I did survive, and the risk to the child, sometimes makes me feel angry at people who either don't use birth control, or sleep around a lot, or otherwise irresponsibly get pregnant, and then go and destroy the life they created. The life they have the ABILITY and HEALTH to create. It makes me sick sometimes. It's hard, knowing what I want, and knowing I can never have it, and seeing people around me simply throwing their gift away.

What gets me, is that some women don't realise that it's a gift to be able to have children. They see children as an inconvenience, or a burden. Children can make you smile, they can make you laugh, they can make you cry. A lot of elderly people I know that never had children regret it. They wish they had the opportunity to do it all over again.

When I'm ready, I hope to be able to adopt a child from someone who believes that that life means enough to save. :/

Thing is, (and sorry if this sounds cruel or insensitive; it's not supposed to) just because you can't have a child doesn't mean that others should have to have one if they're in that sort of situation. You want a child, but can't have one. They have a child, but don't want one. See, perspectives here are different: you see a child as a gift, because it's something that doesn't come your way naturally at this point in time. They'll see it as a curse, because they can take it for granted and see it more as a consequence. Sure, babies can make you smile and laugh, but they can make you tear your hair out too. Not to mention, babies are extremely expensive, and sometimes people can't afford to take of them properly or don't want to spend the money doing so. Can you really blame them for not wanting that baby?

To the rest of the posts between my last one and this one, I pretty much either agree with what you have to say or have nothing really important to add. Other than the fact that the Catholic church is wrong in many cases (not always Catholic individuals, but the accepted Catholic church beliefs.)

Well said Will.

Rose, as much as it is painful to say this, it can come out rather selfish that you get angry at people who abort the child just because you can't have any of your own. I'm not a moderator. Do I start yelling when people mod edit? No. Yeah I die a little inside, and I'm sure the case is the same with you about children, but you can't force people to do something they aren't ready for or don't want to do.

I agree that a woman should be able to choose, but there's so many factors. My best friend years ago, ended up accidentally getting his girlfriend pregnant, and she told him, told him she wanted an abortion, then ran and got one before he could say a word. It was really traumatic for him, because his mom had originally planned on aborting him, so he had huge issues with it. He'd been willing to do whatever it took to help her. And she didn't even talk to him about it.

A woman should talk with the father about this kind of business, because it's a rather touchy subject. But for the most part the woman has the final say, since she's the one carrying the fetus, not the man.

Thing is, (and sorry if this sounds cruel or insensitive; it's not supposed to) just because you can't have a child doesn't mean that others should have to have one if they're in that sort of situation. You want a child, but can't have one. They have a child, but don't want one. See, perspectives here are different: you see a child as a gift, because it's something that doesn't come your way naturally at this point in time. They'll see it as a curse, because they can take it for granted and see it more as a consequence. Sure, babies can make you smile and laugh, but they can make you tear your hair out too. Not to mention, babies are extremely expensive, and sometimes people can't afford to take of them properly or don't want to spend the money doing so. Can you really blame them for not wanting that baby?

To the rest of the posts between my last one and this one, I pretty much either agree with what you have to say or have nothing really important to add. Other than the fact that the Catholic church is wrong in many cases (not always Catholic individuals, but the accepted Catholic church beliefs.)

I am very well aware that some people are not going to want a child, and that many, in fact, do not share my viewpoints. I understand things are different from different perspectives. I am capable of placing myself on both sides of the coin. However, you did not choose to include the entire viewpoint. I also said that I understand abortion in some cases, and that I agree with it being legalized because otherwise women would just get them anyway, at great risk to themselves.

Yes, children can make you tear your hair out, bring you to tears, make you downright miserable. I am well aware of that. I agree with it even, but it's only one side of the coin.

Babies are indeed extremely expensive. The last estimate I saw, it takes around 1 million dollars to raise today's child. That's a lot of money. However that also includes college, and stuff like that. But that's beside the point. I agree, children are expensive.

As for not being ABLE to take care of them properly, that's one thing, and again, they could give it up for adoption, rather than terminating it before it's born. I wouldn't want to keep a child I couldn't afford to raise, but I would not want to kill it before it's born, either. If you give up a child, they can find you when they're 18. If you terminate it, it's forever.

A lot of people don't realize that there is often emotional scarring from having an abortion. It's not an easy thing to do. You're the one that has to live with the decision for the rest of your life.

But not wanting to spend the money? What a LAME excuse!! If you don't want the child, either don't have sex, or pay for appropriate measures in birth control. If you think your birth control failed, get the morning after pill. If, for some UNKNOWN reason, that fails too, then well, I suppose there's only two options left. Give the baby up, or terminate it. And honestly, I think that there should be more weight given to the decision to terminate.

I don't think it's a sin to have an abortion. I don't go out and join the protests in front of the clinic that happen the two days a week at our hospital here. I don't even make it a point to make my opinion known to the people in my life. In fact, I have never before voiced my opinion on the matter. I do believe that everyone has the right to decide what to do with their life. It's not up to me to make the decision for them. But that doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

Even being able to see both sides of the coin, I still think it's awful for someone to have an abortion unless it's a necessity.

Sorry, it seemed like with that one argument you only presented that one side (women that get abortions are ungrateful because they have a gift which they should receive), and I just presented the other (women don't always see it that way).

But I still have qualms about the adoption thing. Being adopted isn't the best experience for a lot of kids. I mean, most have this notion that, unless their biological parents died, their biological parents never really loved them. I just know some kids who struggle with this in my school and feel just a bit depressed.

Plus, overpopulation is a major problem in this world, and many orphanages are already overfilled.

But I hardly consider spending the money a lame excuse. Let's be honest, not everybody knows about all of the ways to go about birth control. And not everybody plans on having sex. I mean, at least in high school, sex just sort of...happens. People get caught up in the moment, and well...

And let's face it, having a child in high school would suck. Your body would be shot, your reputation would be shot, your education would be shot - well, things aren't necessarily the best in that case.

But even with adults sometimes it will just happen. Maybe you're drunk and can't think clearly or something like that. I wouldn't put that below people.

I don't know if I've ever said my beliefs straight out, but here it goes:

I believe the choice of abortion should be left to each individual person. As of right now, abortion can't be definitively classified as murder, because the fetus often times can't be definitively defined as alive at a certain point. And so, I think it's wrong for the ideologies of some to be forced upon others just because they think it's wrong.

As for not being ABLE to take care of them properly, that's one thing, and again, they could give it up for adoption, rather than terminating it before it's born. I wouldn't want to keep a child I couldn't afford to raise, but I would not want to kill it before it's born, either. If you give up a child, they can find you when they're 18. If you terminate it, it's forever.

That's sending them to an orphanage, which makes their life miserable knowing that their parents gave them up. To me it actually is worse than if you just had an abortion.

But even with adults sometimes it will just happen. Maybe you're drunk and can't think clearly or something like that. I wouldn't put that below people.

Not to mention that sex is the best way of expressing love for one another. When there's actual love.

When there isn't, it just shows that they are heartless people that only want people for their bodies. But that's besides the point.

That's sending them to an orphanage, which makes their life miserable knowing that their parents gave them up. To me it actually is worse than if you just had an abortion.

I'm assuming that when most people say adoption they mean adopt from when they baby is first born; thus, there rarely is an oprhanage that the child will go to.

Women will research the best candidate for the child through the adoption agency depending if they want an open or closed adoption.

Not to mention that sex is the best way of expressing love for one another. When there isn't, it just shows that they are heartless people that only want people for their bodies.

I'm so sorry but LMBO. I can't even... :laughingsmiley:

I don't think there's anything more far from the truth. :S

Having sex without loving the person doesn't make you heartless. And I also don't think sex is the best way to express love, either, but I guess that depends on the person.

But that's another debate.

I'm assuming that when most people say adoption they mean adopt from when they baby is first born; thus, there rarely is an oprhanage that the child will go to.

Women will research the best candidate for the child through the adoption agency depending if they want an open or closed adoption.

I'm so sorry but LMBO. I can't even... :laughingsmiley:

I don't think there's anything more far from the truth. :S

Having sex without loving the person doesn't make you heartless. And I also don't think sex is the best way to express love, either, but I guess that depends on the person.

But that's another debate.

That is EXACTLY what I mean when I say adoption. Many adoptions these days are arranged before the baby is even born. Sometimes, unfortunately for adoptive parents, in some places, the mother has X amount of days to change her mind, and sometimes she does. But that just goes to show that even if she HAD wanted an abortion, and chose to carry the child to term instead and give it up, that she entirely changed her mind in the time it took to bring the child to term. People don't know how they will actually feel about having a baby until the time comes to actually have it.

And I also disagree that having sex without love makes you heartless. And that having sex is the best way to express love for one another, even if you actually do love each other. But as it has already been stated, that's another debate (and possibly dependant on the person).

I once had a Government teacher who classified me as "one of those pro-Lifers."

He was a horrible Government teacher.

I am very much pro-choice. As much as I dislike the concept of killing a child, there are simply too many valid excuses to create a 100% rule against it. Let's take a look at two in particular, shall we?

RAPE:

If I were to be raped and conceive a child by it, I would almost certainly abort it. Right now, I am highly successful in high school, and have the plans and promise for a great college and real-world career. I don't want my potential for a future ruined because a man abused me.

Pro-Lifer: Well for the purposes of our argument, you're an average adult with an average career and average income.

Fine. That brings me to my second point anyway. Rape is a very traumatic experience, and I don't want to go through the entirety of the child's life being reminded of the horrors done to me against my will. And I don't want that child growing up knowing that all they are is a constant reminder of their crappy conditions of conception. It's not fair to me, and it's not fair to the would-be kid.

Pro-Lifer: But you can still have the kid and put it up for adoption! D=

Because I totally want to go through a nine-month-long hormonal rollercoaster after such a traumatic experience. =_= It's like being forcefed a bunch of junk food and then made to ride the biggest rollercoaster at the fair over and over again, but instead of screwing with your digestion it screws with your entire emotional well-being. Why would you wish that on someone? After the trauma of the rape, I don't need the added trauma of growing physiochemically attached to something my brain hates.

HEALTH RISKS:

This is the one that seems to poke holes in even the strongest pro-life argument. It sometimes happens that for whatever reason, going through with the full term/childbirth would be hazardous to the mother's health. In this case, I fully believe that abortion is not only an acceptable option, but quite possibly the only one that makes sense. There's no logic in trading a not-yet life for an already existing one.

Pro-Lifer: ..... You should die so that your unborn child might possibly live! D=

*slaps* No.

I'm not presenting these as new arguments, I'm simply stating that arguments such as these are the main reason I'm pro-choice. As long as there will be valid reasons to step outside the life-only rule, it seems it might as well remain a choice.

{Forgive the odd metaphors/whatever other non-standard debate tactics appear in this post. It's late. This may be completely incoherent and I wouldn't know.}

Yes. You can't say that there is a good reason to completely outlaw the choice of abortion.

Having sex without loving the person doesn't make you heartless.

Actually, there's a word for it. It's called prostitution. When that's the case, you don't really love the person now do you? ;)

I am very much pro-choice. As much as I dislike the concept of killing a child, there are simply too many valid excuses to create a 100% rule against it. Let's take a look at two in particular, shall we?RAPE:If I were to be raped and conceive a child by it, I would almost certainly abort it. Right now, I am highly successful in high school, and have the plans and promise for a great college and real-world career. I don't want my potential for a future ruined because a man abused me.Pro-Lifer: Well for the purposes of our argument, you're an average adult with an average career and average income.Fine. That brings me to my second point anyway. Rape is a very traumatic experience, and I don't want to go through the entirety of the child's life being reminded of the horrors done to me against my will. And I don't want that child growing up knowing that all they are is a constant reminder of their crappy conditions of conception. It's not fair to me, and it's not fair to the would-be kid.Pro-Lifer: But you can still have the kid and put it up for adoption! D=Because I totally want to go through a nine-month-long hormonal rollercoaster after such a traumatic experience. =_= It's like being forcefed a bunch of junk food and then made to ride the biggest rollercoaster at the fair over and over again, but instead of screwing with your digestion it screws with your entire emotional well-being. Why would you wish that on someone? After the trauma of the rape, I don't need the added trauma of growing physiochemically attached to something my brain hates.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not really sure where I stand on this specific issue, but I think the assumption that abortion is a quick-fix is should be challenged. But here are my thoughts on it anyway.

A) Would abortion really be less traumatic than keeping the child/giving it up for adoption? Due to the amount of people I have spoken to who've had an abortion and deeply regretted it, I would say that's not always the case. One of my friends was supposed to be aborted. His mother got pregnant at sixteen after being date raped. Her parents told her she had to abort, but she decided not to. She raised him, completed her education, and they're both living happy, good lives. For this, among other reasons, this is a topic that's close to me, and I realize these are personal examples.

Is this something I think every woman who finds herself in this situation can/should do? No.

B ) If the fetus is a living human, not just a potential human, doesn't that fetus have the right to live? It's not responsible for how it was conceived. Of course, we can't prove that humanity (not exactly the word I was searching for, but close) starts in the womb, but we can't also disprove it. So wouldn't aborting the fetus be akin to a hunter shooting and not knowing whether what he's aiming at is a human or an animal?

^Please excuse me for the theoretical rambling. I'm not trying to be annoying or insensitive to the abused woman's needs.

HEALTH RISKS:

This is the one that seems to poke holes in even the strongest pro-life argument. It sometimes happens that for whatever reason, going through with the full term/childbirth would be hazardous to the mother's health. In this case, I fully believe that abortion is not only an acceptable option, but quite possibly the only one that makes sense. There's no logic in trading a not-yet life for an already existing one.

Pro-Lifer: ..... You should die so that your unborn child might possibly live! D=

*slaps* No.

I'm not presenting these as new arguments, I'm simply stating that arguments such as these are the main reason I'm pro-choice. As long as there will be valid reasons to step outside the life-only rule, it seems it might as well remain a choice.

Agreed, completely. As I'm against abortion in all but a few cases (like the ones you mentioned), I classify myself as pro-life, but I totally agree that there are reasons abortion should remain legal. Pro-life and pro-choice are labels with a lot of room for different opinions. That being said, due to the exhaustive conversations I've had with "pro-lifers" very few of them believe a woman should have to carry a pregnancy to term when that poses serious health risks. That combined with the fact that a lot of pro-life organizations are pro-choice when it comes to situations where the life of the mother is at risk challenges the statement that all pro-lifers think you have to carry the fetus to term in all situations.

Actually, there's a word for it. It's called prostitution. When that's the case, you don't really love the person now do you? ;)

I'd like to know the reasoning behind that statement. Are you suggesting that all people who have sex without love are prostitutes? Or for that matter, all prostitutes are heartless?

But as hrtbrk said, that's for another discussion.

Also, yes, what Macabre said. That! :)

That being said, due to the exhaustive conversations I've had with "pro-lifers" very few of them believe a woman should have to carry a pregnancy to term when that poses serious health risks. That combined with the fact that a lot of pro-life organizations are pro-choice when it comes to situations where the life of the mother is at risk challenges the statement that all pro-lifers think you have to carry the fetus to term in all situations.

Oh yes, I know. :P I was dramatizing how ridiculous it would be for anyone to claim it. Sorry for making that unclear. Most pro-lifers I know accept that abortion is reasonable in that case.

So wouldn't aborting the fetus be akin to a hunter shooting and not knowing whether what he's aiming at is a human or an animal?

The issue of when life begins is one I don't particularly wish to delve into, as it generally calls in religion and suchlike. However, I think your comparison is interesting. While animal or human is concrete, the beginning of life is more abstract.

I believe abortion should take place within the first few weeks of pregnancy. An almost fully developed human fetus should not be aborted, because by then it is too human. I believe this isn't too harsh considering in legal issues, babies are not considered 'alive' until they take their first breath of air. This world is already overpopulated and orphanages are already overcrowded with children their parents couldn't care for-some of which couldn't control becoming pregnant. At least if these children are never born then they won't go through a lifetime of suffering.

Actually, the law in both Canada and the United States is that the unborn becomes classified as a human when it can feesably survive outside the womb, which is around the beginning of the third trimester or around the end of six months, not when they breath the first time. In court cases of murder when a woman is pregnant they are charged with one murder is she is less than six months pregnant, and two murders if she is 7-9 months pregnant.

What the heck are you even talking about?

You said that people who have sex when they are not in love are heartless - nothing about prostitution. Secondly, being a prostitute doesn't mean you're automatically heartless. o_O And again, having sex without loving the person does not make you heartless.

This is so ridiculous.

Sure, you are totally entitled to think all prostitutes are heartless, that is your opinion, but please stop stating how you feel as a fact. Because it's not and is nothing more than a personal opinion.

Actually, the law in both Canada and the United States is that the unborn becomes classified as a human when it can feesably survive outside the womb

Thankfully that law is in place instead of the "first breath" philosophy. The practice of "aborting" after carrying to term is absolutely terrible. *shudders* That seems more traumatic for the woman than it does to give your child up for adoption. Disgusting. :sick01:

I'm not pro-abortion, I'm pro-choice. I don't know if this has already been said, but getting an abortion is not like stopping off at the store to buy more toothpaste; it's actual surgery. No woman (unless she's a sociopath) is going to have an abortion then just move on with her life and never think about it again. Even though I believe that life doesn't start until the first breath, I think I would still have trouble going directly to a clinic, not looking back, if I found out I was pregnant.

From the first post: the idea of aborting only female babies is incredibly sexist, but at the same time, I would not want to be a female living in that kind of society. I have mixed feelings about that law.

You said that people who have sex when they are not in love are heartless - nothing about prostitution. Secondly, being a prostitute doesn't mean you're automatically heartless. o_O And again, having sex without loving the person does not make you heartless.

This is so ridiculous.

Sure, you are totally entitled to think all prostitutes are heartless, that is your opinion, but please stop stating how you feel as a fact. Because it's not and is nothing more than a personal opinion.

Last I checked, Prostitution was to gain money. Yes, I do find that loveless. This is in fact my opinion. I never said it was fact.

And I don't appriciate you saying that my opinion is ridiculous. You wouldn't like it, so what makes you think that I would?