Abortion

CAV of Gang Green

Personally, I'm something of a Pro-Life Pro-Choicer, if that makes sense. I completely believe in the right to choose, though I can't say that I would have one myself (unless it was at great personal risk) and/or encourage anyone else to do so. I think that we should educate people on ALL of their choices; which of course, includes abortion, but I lean in favor of an open adoption; this gives the child a caring home and the mother a chance to still be part of their kid's life.

The emotional impact of either decision is so great that there really isn't a 'winning' choice. My mother had a child at 19 and put her up for adoption, and I can't imagine how hard that was. A friend of mine was also pregnant when she was younger; she was 14 and had an abortion. Likewise, that was incredibly difficult.

The better decision is going to vary person to person, and either way there will be people facing hardships; so who am I to take away their right to choose?

Just my two cents. :)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stepping aside and not totally going with what has been said so far, I wish to add my two cents.

I am a very very VERY strong Republican/Conservative, so you might be startled to hear me say that I am mostly pro-life except for SOME situations. If a woman or girl has been well, raped, then abortion should totally be an option for her. If it was an accident, and that would be too hard for the child and woman, then abortion should be an option. Abortion is a serious thing, it shouldn't be able to be used as birth control: that already exists in Numerous different methods (pills, surgeries, you name it). My mom used to be an OBGYN, and she only recently has told me of the horrific scenes of people like, 13 years old coming in and having babies.

Sadly, some girls would be completely disowned by their parents and family if they got pregnant. While some are luckier, like Bristol Palin. The television show, "The Secret Life of the American Teenager" is actually a valid portrayal of the ordeal. The main character, Amy, was kind of tricked/talked into having sex with a guy at a camp who was manipulative and sly (said all the right things, you know how it goes). First year of high school went a bit differently than she had planned, and she was put under extreme stress, etc. That's pretty much how it'd go for any other 15 year old who is pregnant. It's an extremely high amount of stress for anyone, but it's naturally supposed to be for people who are mature enough to handle it. Teens should not be getting pregnant and having babies so young! There was something like a "Pregnancy Pact" or something, where a large group of high schoolers all tried non stop to get pregnant or something. It was purely outrageous. But yeah, it's far far FAR too much stress to put on their shoulders.

I think a limit should be placed. Like, one in a decade or even a stronger limit. Otherwise people will be getting pregnant and then using abortion as birth control. I feel bad saying this, being a Christian, but I think that even God might feel bad about seeing his Children under such pressure, even though he wouldn't of let it happen if it would be something bad. That which does not kill you, makes you stronger.

Now to put myself in the shoes of someone my age, who gets pregnant. I'm hoping there won't be too many pregnant 13 year olds, so let's go 14. First year in high school, right? You meet a guy that says all the right things, and next thing you know, you had sex, even for a teeny amount of time, and a few days later.. You find yourself pregnant. What Are You Going To Do? If I was pregnant at a teen age, my friends would be supportive, that much I know (although I don't plan on having sex my entire life, it sounds.. blah). My dad would be devastated, and would probably at least partially disown me. My mother would be dissapointed for a short while, then begin fussing over baby stuff. I would be horrified, I would want out, I personally would not want to bring a life into this world that I am not even totally sure about yet. I think I'd want an abortion, partially because of the humiliation, partially because I would be horrified of actually HAVING a baby (the pain mainly), and having that insane responsibility fo rthe rest of my life. I don't plan on getting married unless I find The Guy, I'm more of an independent "I'll do it my own way" type person. And yet if it was a case where the teen KNEW what she was getting into, I don't think abortion should be an option. I agree with Tytio.. If you do something like rob a bank and can get away with it, you'll just keep robbing the bank... So some form of balance between help and not overdoing it is needed. Probably if the child would be born into a very unbalanced family, or adoption wouldn't work, health problems for the mother, etc. then it'd for sure be an option.

There are even adults who get pregnant, and don't want to be. Rape, accidental, or are just irresponsible.. We are all humans, we all make mistakes. Heck, I was an accident but my parents didn't mind. Abortion should be an option, but there really should be limits so people don't use it as birth control.

Whew. Strong opinions at least partially drained out there xD

Added:

I do think that there sould be some limit as to at what stage of pregnancy an abortion could occur. Whenever the heart starts beating is too far along.. at least. When it is for sure ALIVE and where it would.. I don't know. There should be a limit there, too.

I'm completely late on this discussion. But I guess that's alright. I kind of have mixed thought about abortion. I think that it is both a good and bad thing. Probably because I don't care much for it that I can easily ease to one side of the problem and bounce back to the other side without even thinking. But I think for this debate, I'll lean towards one side.

I think abortion is a good thing. If I was stupid and got pregnant, I would immediately get an abortion. Especially if I knew that I couldn't take care of the child. I don't want my life to change for something that I regret, and why live with something you regret to have for 9 months straight and then have it come out and make up your mind then? I'd rather make up my mind without even feeling attached right then and there. I believe that the first couple weeks to a month mean nothing within your stomach. It's just a sperm and egg that are still combining. It's not yet a child, so I don't have hard feelings killing something like that.

Granted, I could be seen horrible for saying that, but it's true. And really, I'd rather it be gone than give it to a world where 1. I wouldn't be able to take care of it and it would have a horrible childhood or 2. it would be put into an orphanage and have a horrible childhood unless they are the holy child that happens to be adopted and loved in another family. *shrugs* And then I would know that something of mine is out there somewhere... Oh [removed] no. That isn't something I'd want to live with.

There's a girl in one of my classes, and she got pregnant to a man that happened to be her ex-boyfriend. They had the whole after the relationship "get-together". And unfortunately, it wasn't as protected as she thought. She never told him that she was for she didn't want to lose him as a friend and maybe if they wanted to have more "get-together's" they would. However, she needed to get rid of the child. She couldn't take care of it because she was already in a dilemma in her life. She had a DUI, she couldn't get a job, she lived far from home, and so forth. And she couldn't handle being pregnant for 9 months and knowing that they may take the child away because of this. So she had an abortion. And really, I give her credit. Because she completely helped not only herself but what was to come for the child if it were to live.

So this is the side that I will be choosing for this debate. It's morbid and cynical, but I guess if you're siding with killing then it has to be.

Added: I will say though that having more than 3 in a certain amount of years is unforgivable. I'd say once or twice here and there if it happened at the wrong time. But definitely not a bunch of times. That's just wrong and it considers the person to just be plain dumb and irresponsible.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not use curse words in your posts.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

I am pro choice but for myself I could never get an abortion outside of finding out the baby would kill me. I do believe in karma though and i think that you would reeieve a karmic debt from it. But in some situations that debt is less painful than the reality of the situation so I can understand how this would be an option. In situations of rape or not really understanding the consequences. I knew a girl who was 14 and she didnt really believe it could happen to her so she played around and it happened. She got an abortion and I think she made a right decision. No 14 year old is ready for the feelings and the responsiblities that come with having a child. When I was 17 I went to a party and was drugged and taken advantage of. I got pregnant and decided to keep it. This turned out to be the best choice I could ever make. I love my 6 year old son and would not change it for the world but it was hard for me even at that age. I do believe that it is the womans choice but at the same time i do not think someone should be able to have abortion after abortion. I think that if you keep putting yourself in that situation than you should suffer the consequences. I also think aborting a child because you are not happy with the gender is very wrong. And as for a baby being a parasite, I do not agree with that sentiment. I loved being pregnant and I benefited from it. The definition of a parasite is an organism that grows, feeds, and is sheltered on or in a different organism while contributing nothing to the survival of its host. Not only is a baby the same species but while I was pregnant I got several benefits from being pregnant. I dropped a lot of bad habits while being pregnant and I felt really good about myself. My self esteem was super high (which is not normal for me since i suffer from low self esteem issues). Also recent studies report that pregnancy produces a protective effect against chest and ovarian cancers. The more pregnancies you go through — and the younger you start having babies — the greater the effect; some research has found that chestfeeding for more than three months can also lower the risk of certain cancers. For couples it can increase intimacy and it also has the side effect of boosting your senses so later on in pregnancy food just tastes better.

Added: I will say though that having more than 3 in a certain amount of years is unforgivable. I'd say once or twice here and there if it happened at the wrong time. But definitely not a bunch of times. That's just wrong and it considers the person to just be plain dumb and irresponsible.

i do not think someone should be able to have abortion after abortion. I think that if you keep putting yourself in that situation than you should suffer the consequences.

This is something that really bothers me. When anyone says "Well, it's okay for her to have one, but not TWO. How dumb and stupid could she be." Birth control fails, all the time. A woman can be practicing birth control for years and it can STILL fail. So she's dumb and irresponsible because of this? People have this misconception that women use abortion as birth control. This is ridiculous. Having an abortion is an incredibly serious situation, and if a woman has to have 2, or 3 because she does not want to have a baby at this time (for whatever reason; be it she was raped, can't afford another child, is endangered, it doesn't matter), she has obviously thought seriously about this. It's not like "Meh, pregnant again, guess I'll make an appointment for an abortion."

I am so tired of hearing the same arguments from people who think any woman ever who has an abortion is some awful human being. Being pro-choice is important. If you take away the choice of an abortion, it's not going to cut down the number of abortions that happen. It's just going to make the number of illegal abortions performed, and the deaths caused by those, to sky rocket. I am so thankful I live in Canada and this isn't in constant debate.

This isn't me saying I am for abortion, or that I would have one. But I believe it is EVERY woman's own, personal choice. You can disagree all you want but still, not your body, not your decisions. I think most of you are SO uninformed on this and should really educate yourselves before judging all of the awful horrible women who make whatever decision is right FOR THEM. Not you, them.

Edit: As for that second quote, wow. As soon as someone refers to getting pregnant as "suffering a consequence", it's easy to see how anti-choice they are. Did you read that after you wrote it? :sad01_anim:

Im sorry but I knew a girl in high school who had 4 pregnancies in 2 years. 4 abortions. And she just was like oh well its not a big deal. So yes some women do use abortion as an option for birth control. She later found out that she would never be able to carry a child to term due to uterus scarring. I dont think your a horrible person for having an abortion or 2 but I think there should be limits. She did permanent damage to her health and the whole time she was just like oh well I can always have a baby later on in life. She is suffering the consequences of her actions. And believe me she is suffering. Its easy for someone who has never been pregnant to say oh well abortion is just a fact of life but in reality haveing a lot of abortions one right after the other is extremely dangerous. Almost every woman I have talked to who has had an abortion has deeply regretted it. I was raped and I still had my baby. I didnt even consider having an abortion. But as I said before I believe it is a womans right to choose to have one. I dont want to sound argumentative but people who say others are uninformed just because they have a different opinion especially when they have no idea the kind of life the other person has had are ignorant. I made the decision that was right for me by keeping my son. My friend made the right decision for her by aborting her child. But that was just one instance. Yes birth control fails all the time (although I have been in a very active relationship for 5 years on the pill and havnt gotten pregnant so I think if you use it correctly its not as big of an issue as you say) but if you are old enough to procreate than you should be prepared for the consequences. Being intimate with a partner but ultimately the act is designed for procreation. So I dont understand how saying the consequence of physical intimacey can be pregnancy is a bad thing. Im sorry if that sounds harsh or whatever but seriously. Instead of attacking everyone for having a different opinion than you, understand that they have a choice. Thats what pro choice is about. I can choose to believe abortion is right or I can choose to believe its wrong. I can choose to keep my baby or I can choose to abort. We all have a right to believe what we believe and its not right to call someone uninformed because they disagree with you.

I have a lot more to say to this, but will reply later in a more calm manner. :rolleyes_anim:

For now: Please don't use your own personal case with no sources to back up "Woman use abortion as their primary form of birth control".

"Woman use abortion as their primary form of birth control".

I don't see where she stated that, but I would feel a tad naive to think otherwise. That is certainly the case for some women out there.

A few posts before, you stated that you feel everyone is entitled to their own opinion/differing opinions shouldn't be forced onto to others. She based her opinion off of her own experiences, something that she witnessed directly. That was the case for the woman she went to school with, and that is probably the case for other women out there too.

I understand that going to have an abortion may be very emotional and difficult to deal with, but to some people an abortion is just an abortion. My very very good friend had three abortions and to her, to this day, an abortion is just that.

She never used any form of contraception - nothing (generic case of "didn't like the feel, can't remember to take pills" etc). It was just easier for her and her boyfriend to abort as they never wanted to have children (which they ended up having but still LOL). That was just the path they chose. After she had her daughter, her and her boyfriend got fixed for no other reason than the doctor advised her to stop getting abortions due to damage.

Edit: As for that second quote, wow. As soon as someone refers to getting pregnant as "suffering a consequence", it's easy to see how anti-choice they are. Did you read that after you wrote it? :sad01_anim:

I thought about this for a bit.. Really though. The baby itself isn't necessarily a "consequence" but more the humiliation of going to say, school, and having people stare at your belly and talk behind your back.

I kind of rethought this a bit, and I do agree with I think mos tpeople here. I would probably try and get an abortion if it would interfere with my life in a bad way (health wise, or if I would be disowned like I know i would be), or with the baby's. But if it wouldn't be extreme, I think I would try to tough it out. Sure, it'd hurt beyond belief, but there could be good to come out of it. I think if people CAN take care of the baby, and if it wouldn't hurt either of their health (one or both), then they should go through with it. They made that choice, they should live with it unless it's going to be extremely dangerous.

I agree with getting pregnant and going through with it as "suffering a consequence" but I am very pro-choice. I am a teen, and I am pro-choice. What does that tell you? The last comment of "Did you read that after you wrote it? :sad01_anim: " was *extremely* uncalled for in my personal opinion.

In summary, I am 100000000000% pro-choice, but 50% pro-life. 100% pro-life, pretty much, unless it would be best for both the baby and the mother/family if the baby wasn't born. God forgive me for supporting sin, but I think even God would probably not want his children suffering. Pardon the religious moment though xD

What I'm saying is - regardless of if someone agrees or disagrees with abortion - it should not be THEIR beliefs that affect if other women are allowed to have them.

"I guess it's okay if they have 1, but to have 2, or 3? No way. That's disgusting. There needs to be a limit. They should suffer the consequences/learn from their mistakes, how dumb/stupid could they be.." are all awful statements used by someone who is anti-choice. You don't know anyone's personal situation regardless of some girl you went to high school with. One case of high school gossip is not a legible source that all women will choose abortion over birth control. Whether it's a medical or surgical abortion they are not to be taken lightly. They are far more expensive than a package of birth control pills (especially in places where health care doesn't cover them). I don't believe you should lump all women who choose to have an abortion into the same group as these mythical women who would rather go through a serious process, multiple times (ultrasounds, surgery, check ups, tons of bloodwork) than take a pill.

I'm sorry, but this just makes me frustrated for so many women in the world. What makes the first one okay to have? You're contradicting yourself. You aren't pro-choice when you say these things, because so many of you who say you're pro-choice have just said more than 1 or 2 and there is something obviously wrong and they need to suffer the consequences.

Babies are wonderful (please stop referring to them as consequences!) and so many women who have abortions do want children at some point in their lives, or maybe already have children. Being pro-choice is important, regardless of your personal/religious beliefs, because women will seek them even if they aren't legally able to. I feel so sorry for all of the women in places where abortion is illegal because the amount of unsafe abortions performed and the number of women who die from them is depressing. You don't ever need to consider having an abortion in your life if you personally disagree with them or your religion dictates that it's a sin, but I feel as women that we should always support other women.

If you'll allow me to share a couple links: S--- had it coming and Rabble Pro Choice. Two really great, informative blogs dealing with abortion, rape, and women's rights.

(If you don't want to check out either of these at length, please, at least take 5 minutes to read this article: THE EVOLUTION OF BECOMING PRO-CHOICE: LEVELS OF PRO-CHOICENESS.)

God forgive me for supporting sin, but I think even God would probably not want his children suffering. Pardon the religious moment though xD

In the bible it actually differentiates abortion and murder. Murder is punishable by death but if a man causes a woman to miscarry then all he has to do is pay a fine. If God saw Abortion as murder then the punishment for that would be death also no?

Religion aside I am pro-choice no matter HOW many abortions a woman has. I know that some women take it overboard on that side, but then they DO suffer consequences as in not being able to have children later in life when they want one. I don't think I could have one myself, but I think it should be up to the woman what happens to her body. Besides, if it were illegal to have an abortion women would get them back-street like they used to...with a LOT of death and infection thrown in. I think it's better that there is a safe, clean environment that can more safely abort the baby then, say, a coat hanger.

The gist of the replies so far seem to be along the lines of pro-choice, but with some measures in place to curb abuse of the rights to abortion. This makes sense to me, and I have little to add to the discussion on this point (though I am honestly surprised at the amount of pro-choice here), but the first post and another (quoted here) in this thread were what really caught my attention:

china's decision to abort girls logically makes sense and is valid. Besides. You guys already complain that there are too many asians in the world already...now you're complaining that there aren't enough? o.0

I hope I don't offend you by writing this, but I feel that I should interject regarding China - it's not a matter of logic or needing boys to do farm work, but rather one of tradition. This affects me a little more than the US perspective on abortion, and comments (though to be fair, you wrote 'you guys' and not that you felt so personally) such as "there are too many asians in the world already" don't seem quite right to close the issue on.

Boys are favoured over girls in China for cultural reasons, not just because they can work on a farm. The PRC has a one-child policy and couples feel they have an obligation to keep the family name running (a man keeps his surname, but a woman loses hers in marriage), and there is heavy pressure from family and from society for couples to have a boy. Perhaps it's the X/Y chromosome from the male that determines the sex of the child, but the 'responsibility' falls on the woman to birth a boy.

Aside from creating an abnormal gender ratio, gender-selective abortion (and female foeticide) has created some strange implications:

"...Global Times said abductions and trafficking of women were "rampant" in areas with excess numbers of men, citing the National Population and Family Planning Commission. Illegal marriages and forced prostitution were also problems in those areas..." (Discovery News, 2010)

Finally, it's not just China. While the one-child policy doesn't apply to these places, gender-specific abortions and female foeticide is numbered at what certainly would constitute "irresponsible levels" in Sri Lanka and India. I'm less than certain of the cultural reasons for doing so as far as these two countries are concerned, but this website has some opinions on the matter (dowry in particular can get really expensive).

My outlook on this controversial topic is quite simple - it is down to the parents to decide.

Some people argue that it is not fair, against god and whatnot - maybe so - but it is equally unfair to force a child on someone who doesn't want it. For both the child and the parents. The child is less likely to be treated the same than if it were born with the approval of the parents (or at least a parent).

I don't think it would be fair for a child to live like that personally :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am pro-choice all the way. Hearing about pro-life peoples' actions usually just end up irritating me and starting a complain fest with my friends. Aside from some of the more obvious reasons (rape victim, health issues, finances, etc), the option of abortion keeps some girls/women from opting for more harmful measures to get rid of the baby as long as they can afford it. There was a girl in my school that starved herself for three days to lose hers and another girl's mother pushed her down the stairs to try to get rid of her baby. My co-worker (I'm not sure where she stands on the topic) went ahead and had her child and gave him to her friend who couldn't have any children so that was a happy ending for them, but she said if her friend wasn't there then her son would've just been shipped off into an orphanage. Personally, I think there are enough children in the world without homes or families already.

Additionally, just because you have the baby doesn't mean anything. There are plenty of women who have their children and then sell them or begin pimping them out for profit. Others may abuse their child because they see it as a burden or whatever. I would rather see a fetus aborted as opposed to an abused or otherwise unhappy/unhealthy child.

Just thinking about the subject irks me because of some of the actions of the pro-life supporters. I swear some of them are no better than terrorists. I will come back some other time to add to this or clean it up some. There's no way that I will be able to type out my thoughts clearly if this continues.

Also, I'm fairly certain of this tidbit, but I'm pretty sure that China's one-child policy doesn't apply to a married couple who are both an only child. Under those circumstances they are allowed two children, or so I've heard.

I'm completely pro choice. I just don't believe that the government should be able to dictate this. I don't think that a law banning abortion can possibly encompass all the situations that could be possible. Each one is situational, and should be decided by whoever it is going to effect. Obviously, as with every law that has been or is currently insituted by the government, there are going to be abuses of the law. But there really isn't much that can be controlled. Personally, I don't know if I personally would ever get an abortion, because if I put myself in that situaiton, then I should be prepared to deal with the ramifications. I hope that I will never have to be in that situation, because it's a decision that will change my life completely. Which is another reason why I am pro choice. You want to have that option, because consequences could be extremely serious for girls in abusive families, who might get thrown out of their house, or just can't support themselves and their would-be child. And a blanket law will not allow for any flexibility. I don't know. :/ I get confused trying to type this out. It's a debate/current issue for a reason.

Overall, I'm pro-choice. HOWEVER. I don't like the idea of "oh, I can go run around having sex now and don't hafta worry about any consequences, since abortion is legal! Yay abortion!"

I wish there was a way to make women realize that abortion should be the absolute, absolute last resort -- if they don't want a child or can't support one, don't go have sex without timing it with your period, using a condom, using birth control, and taking every last necessary precaution against creating a new life that you would have to otherwise have to kill.

The thing is, abortion should be legal - if it's made illegal, many women will go behind the government and have it done anyway with illegal procedures and possibly uncertified or not-as-well trained doctors, unsanitary equipment, and all that sort of unclean stuff. When things with a high health risk like abortion is made illegal, it's increasing the chances of that mother who is desperate to get rid of her 'accidental' fetus getting a serious disease or having something done very wrong.

I'm completely pro-choice. It is the woman's body, it's up to her what happens to it. I may be fairly sexist here, but I don't think the guy should have any say in what the female does with the child until after it is born. The woman is the one who has to put up with the aches, pains, and morning sickness for 9 months, not to mention how painful childbirth is. If the father is rogue, he most likely won't even be at the hospital during the event to be supportive. It's amazing how many men refuse to step up to the plate when someone is going to be calling them "Daddy".

However, I do not think it should be a birth control method, as many others have stated here. That's irresponsible. There are so many other ways of contraception available. If you don't have a condom, then close your legs, please.

I don't view the formation of cells as a fetus until it has been in the womb for 3 months, so I believe abortion shouldn't be seen as a bad thing up until that time. After that, however, it's been proven that the fetus can feel pain, however if the mother is legitimately not ready or didn't know until it was extremely late, then I frown upon it, though I don't have a general opinion on it.

• 2 weeks later...

The way I see it is, it's their baby so therefore it's is their decision to what they wanna do with it. Somethings people do will make you mad but it's their decision you can't do much about it. :whistle:

Pro-Choice! It is up to the person bearing the child to make the decision about what happens. Plus if it were not legalized the clandestine alternatives that women would take to achieve the same results are absolutely mind boggling, unhealthy, and even life threatening. (Thank you American Women's History class for the details >.<)

Despite this I am not saying people should go around willynilly having sex and getting pregnant. In this day and age with all the contraceptives there are I think it is very easy to prevent accidental births. I am not talking about those extreme cases, such as rape and abuse and such. People do need to be conscious of there actions and think about what got them into that situation and not abuse the fact that abortions are available.

But I would so rather someone make the choice to abort the fetus than have that child be abandoned, abused, unhealthy or unhappy. I would rather people make that choice and wait till they are ready for children or in a better situation.

I'm definitely pro-choice. As a Norwegian and not-religious, I'm used to the fact that abortion is allowed up to 12 weeks (might be raised to 16 weeks). If I were to get pregnant as a 22 year old student, I would probably have an abortion, and my friends and family would think that would be okay.

• 2 weeks later...

lol at anyone complaining that women are using abortion for birth control.

It IS birth control. What else are they supposed to use it for? Party favors?

Oh, and don't call yourself pro-choice if you put millions of conditions on when a mother can have an abortion. "I'm pro-choice BUT" is almost just as bad as "anti-choice."

Think about it this way. You support a woman's right to have an abortion.

Logically, that means you think it's not a life. (Otherwise, you'd be supporting murder.) So then...if the woman isn't committing murder, what's your deal? Why in the world do you care if she gets an abortion because she forgot her birth control, or if she was assaulted, or even if every few months she gets an abortion just because she wants the doctor to give her a lollipop afterwards?

If anyone can think of a VIABLE reason why I should care how many abortions a woman gets, I'm all ears.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Stephé) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not double post. Use the edit button instead.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

• 1 month later...

To be blunt, I am completely against abortions.

I think that it is said persons choice to have sexual relations and they should be able to understand what could happen if the correct precautions are taken. That baby, that tiny tiny little baby wouldn't even get a chance to see the light of day if that person got an abortion. I think that it is murderous and cruel.

However. (Yes, there's a however ....)

If I were in said situation, depending on the age at which the unplanned pregnancy happened, an abortion may be necessary (i.e. no place to live, no money to support a child, etc.) It's a very touchy subject with most people, that's for sure.

But generally, I am very against abortions.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Anime) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Do not post on topics that have been inactive for more than three weeks.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Anime if you have any questions regarding this action.

I believe abortion should only be used for certain things

I can't exactly say it, cause i don't want to be kicked off on my first day. But I'll try.

Say a girl was raped. Well she didn't know it would happen, never planned on it, nothing. She should have the choice of it being aborted.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, I think they've proved that whatever the rapist had that made him do that is genetic. So for all we know, she could be bringing another rapist in the world.

In this situation, yes I'm for abortion.

Now, if there was a pregnant teenage girl, that's a different story. It was their mistake, and they knew the consequences. They shouldn't have the choice to have it aborted, they need to pay for their decisions. If the family doesn't have money, then they can put it up for adoption..

In this case I'm against it.

I'm about as pro-choice as they come. Personally, I don't think I could ever actually have one, but I'll never know unless I'm put into a situation where it's an option. Does the fact that I wouldn't want to have one make me think that nobody should get them? Absolutely not. What a woman does with her body is up to her, nobody should be able to say otherwise. Until the foetus can survive on its own, outside the uterus, it doesn't get a vote. The idea that prioritising the well-being of someone who hasn't even been born yet (someone who isn't, in fact, a person, just a clump of cells with the possibility of becoming one) over someone who's already out living a life is ludicrous.

The religious argument is ridiculous, and not only because not everyone in the world is religious (myself included.) The Bible, the same book which says planting two different crops side by side is punishable by death, says that causing a woman to miscarry is only worthy of a fine. It's a sin, but hardly a big one. 'They could always put the baby up for adoption' is also pretty hard argument to accept. Yes, women often experience feelings of regret after an abortion. But feelings of relief are just as common. The emotional stress of giving up a child, particularly one you carried against your will or better judgement, would be far more intense.

I think abortion is a very sad thing. In an ideal world, it would happen a lot less than it does, but it needs to be legal and safe or so many women will suffer the consequences.

I'm shocked to see so many Pro-choice people! I think that the very thought of taking away a life is wrong, and that if it was unpredicted it still happened and you shouldn't kill a baby. I know this is an overused concept of a comeback but what if you were that baby? Would you want a chance in life, no matter how hard and crazy it is? There are plenty of adoption centers all around the world and many people would love to adopt! The fact that some places allow this is mind boggling to me, but like CAV of gang green said what can I do about it? The fact that some said that there should be a time limit is crazy! "Oh well its been 24 hours, you can't abort anymore." There shouldn't be any time to choose to abort. So in my opinion it is totally wrong to even consider abortion and the fact that it is allowed is horrible, and those who are pro-choice are not considering the fact that there is no voice for the innocent baby to say: "hey, I want to live and experience life!" Also the fact of intentional pregnancy is a factor, there are many and I do mean MANY ways to prevent it. So, I am completely against it.