Drinking alcohol

Here in New Zealand there is discussion about raising our drinking age.

It has been 18 since 1999 but now they are thinking about putting it back up to 20.

I'm now 20 so it doesn't bother me so much now, though I know when I was 18 I would have put up a firm argument for it to stay 18.

I'm currently studying in a city in NZ that has a bit of a reputation for its student drinking culture so in some ways it would be good to have it lower.

One thought I had was making it R18 for bars, pubs and clubs; and R20 for liquor shops and supermarkets.

This would reduce the amount of teenagers getting drunk at parties or at their flat - which tends to get out of control

In pubs and clubs, they control how much you drink (to a certain extent) and your money tends to stop you getting to drunk.

I know when I was 18 the part I was looking forward to was going out to clubs and dancing and stuff.

What do you guys think?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I doubt raising the age would stop the parties - there's bound to be somebody who's above the age who can buy for the contents of the party. As for bars and whatnot, I don't know about New Zealand, but in Canada you are easily able to get ridiculously drunk without being cut off. I don't think the issue is legal age, exactly. I notice that in countries with lower limits, there tends to be less abuse, because there is less of a taboo. Like the kids with really strict parents who get to University and then go wild. The ones with fewer boundaries are used to it and don't see any glamour in it, so they don't go overboard.

The drinking age in the US is 21, and has been for a very long time. (For a short while, when my mom was 21, she moved to Florida and it was 18 there.) But personally, I don't think it matters. If someone wants to drink, they're going to drink when they want. I waited until I was 21, but I don't care. I'm not a drinker. I rarely have it now that I'm over 21. But I do think higher ages is better, even though most probably don't listen.

In India the drinking age is 21 too. But it's real clear that no one follows that rule. People usually start drinking at 16 or 17. High School kids are the most involved, other than colleges and boarding schools. I have see some of my friend's elder brother/sisters drinking in parties. Well, almost everyone has drunk or at least tasted a drink. So, I don't think that anything's going to stop this, for now.

In the UK drinking age is 18 and I for one wouldn't want it to change. For a start it wouldn't actually change the peoples drinking ages, it would just annoy them that they have to find someone else to buy it (and there is always someone). Secondly I have major issues with the fact that you can be married at 16, join the army at 16 and be sent to the dangerous places at 18, drive at 17 etc, and vote at 18. By the time you are 18 you have got all other rights, including the 'right' to die in our country's service and to take a part in our country's government. I cannot agree with upping the age of alcohol when the age of everything else stays the same.

I can remember learning in history that many US pubs had this issue after the Vietnam war when the young soldiers came back and wanted a drink but they couldn't legally serve them. Even the police at that point just said to serve them.

Can you really get married and join the army in the UK at the age of 16 :ohno: ? So you can get married and join the army before you can drive? And while I realize we did have problems with young soldiers wanting to get served at a bar after they came back, I personally think they shouldn't have even known that they wanted it because there is legally no reason why they should have ever tasted it before then. I personally think 21 is a fine age to start drinking. There really is no need to give young people such easy access to alcohol. And while I know those other ages apply, you can't rent a car until your 21 at most places (actually they charge extra until your 25) so if car companies don't think a person is reliable enough to use their car what do you think its a good idea to give easy access to alcohol? But I do realize that if it does change, the beginning will be difficult for those that had it and got it taken away, case and point the young soldiers.

I personally think they shouldn't have even known that they wanted it because there is legally no reason why they should have ever tasted it before then. you can't rent a car until your 21 at most places (actually they charge extra until your 25)

I don't think someone wanting to be served, necessarily means they've tried it or know what it's tasted like. There are people that wait. (Like I did.) But most kids, whether they know what it tastes like or not, want it, and will drink. They think it's either "cool" or a rebellious thing to do. I think drinking is highly over-rated.

Or they came from a family that let them try it. My uncle let my cousin have a sip (ONLY a sip) of wine and beer when she was younger. (And she was not impressed. :laughingsmiley: )

As for the car rental, they wouldn't give my sister a rental car, when some guy wrecked her car and she was 18. My parents drove the rental. Where as, when someone nearly totaled my car, I was given a rental car. (I think I was 22, though) But a lot of places in the US, you aren't allowed to drive one, unless you are 24. (At least that's the last age I heard.

Or they came from a family that let them try it. My uncle let my cousin have a sip (ONLY a sip) of wine and beer when she was younger. (And she was not impressed. :laughingsmiley: )

Hey! :laughingsmiley: The same thing happened in our family. In Goa (where I live) drinking is a common thing. Most of the parents, especially dads, are into it. My uncle,i.e, my mom's brother, offered me and my cousin a sip. Only after my cousin brother begged and pleaded like crazy. I, obviously, declined his offer. I mean, I was 14 that time. And I had no intention to drink it. My cousin brother was exactly 17, so it wasn't a big deal for him. After taking on sip, he was like "Yuck!" I laughed so hard. :laughingsmiley: He thought the drink would be kind of sweet, in a delicious way. But he was wrong. He absolutely didn't liked it.

Over here the age for not so very heavy drinks is 16, and more heavy drinks like whisky is 18. I don't drink myself, at all, so I would not mind the age going up. Actually I would prefer that, since many children of my age do stupid things when they are drunk... Binge drinking.

I'm 17 now, but I can almost assure you that I won't be drinking for a very long time.

I'm 17 now, but I can almost assure you that I won't be drinking for a very long time.

True. I have pledged myself that I am not going to drink until I am 22 or older. I am 15 years old now. So, looks like there are 7 more years for me to wait. But some of my classmates have already tasted it. They think drinking is all cool and amazing. But I see no point in it.

Why wait until you're older? I don't really see the difference. Perhaps being fully grown might be useful.

I figure the idea behind a higher age for drinking, is they're hoping that the older the drinker is, the higher the chance is of them drinking responsibly. Teenagers are bad enough on their own... and then you give them alcohol? Doesn't sound like the brightest idea to me.

I'm referring to those who are waiting longer based not on law, but their own opinion. I don't think that upping the age helps. If you're given alcohol from a young age, you tend to abuse it less. It's not a taboo, and you know how to handle it. Teenagers will always do stupid crap, but by removing stupid taboos we can make sure they're properly educated, and they can do it safely in their homes instead of on the streets, 'cause I assure you the legal limit isn't stopping anyone.

I'm referring to those who are waiting longer based not on law, but their own opinion. I don't think that upping the age helps. If you're given alcohol from a young age, you tend to abuse it less. It's not a taboo, and you know how to handle it. Teenagers will always do stupid crap, but by removing stupid taboos we can make sure they're properly educated, and they can do it safely in their homes instead of on the streets, 'cause I assure you the legal limit isn't stopping anyone.

Actually I don't see me drinking at any age ;) I guess my body will stay alcohol free forever, unless someone forces it down my throat.

Actually I don't see me drinking at any age ;) I guess my body will stay alcohol free forever, unless someone forces it down my throat.

A lot of people are like that. An old friend of my sister's won't drink, because he knew alcoholism ran in his family, and he wasn't willing to risk it. Other people just don't care. I drink, but only socially, and never more than 1. I'll drink with friends when we go out for dinner. Or my husband and I, to celebrate something, like an anniversary. Otherwise, I don't see the point.

In the US, the drink age is 21 and I think it's been that way for some time now, but it really doesn't matter for me since I really don't care for drinking all that much, not that I should since I'm only 13, but still, even when I can drink I don't think I will, I'm just against it. But Im ok with other people doing it, it's their choice. Since people will do it no matter what the age is... just like other drugs.

The whole raising the age limit thing for alcohol seems completely pointless to me.

It doesn't matter how much you raise it. People are going to be able to find ways to get alcohol anyway.

Heck, I've had a couple of drinks on special occasions. No one cares. You just need to know when is enough.

Self control, ya know?

They should go back to 20. 18 doesn't seem an appropriate age, in which it would effect you more to drink at 18 than to drink at 20. It won't stop the parties, but it will make them illgal.

Besides, I'm more conserned with smoking in the US.

I don't think that increasing the drinking age really helps to curb youth drinking issues. Teenagers will still find ways to get alcohol, if that's what they want to do. Lots of teens drink heavily to rebel and test their limits. I think that changing attitudes toward alcohol would be more productive. Most of us live in societies where overconsumption is a rampant problem - not just with alcohol, but with soda, junk food, fast food, etc. When people can accept an attitude of "everything in moderation," then there will be less problem drinking.

Going to quote a few people haha

I don't think the issue is legal age, exactly. I notice that in countries with lower limits, there tends to be less abuse, because there is less of a taboo. Like the kids with really strict parents who get to University and then go wild. The ones with fewer boundaries are used to it and don't see any glamour in it, so they don't go overboard.

Yes they've talked about this a lot. Is it the French or Italians? The kids grow up drinking wine so its not a big deal.

In India the drinking age is 21 too. But it's real clear that no one follows that rule. People usually start drinking at 16 or 17.

Well see in NZ, with the drinking age at 18, kids as young as 11 & 12 try drinks and there are 13 & 14 year olds drinking heavily. If the drinking age is higher, then 18 year olds can easily get it but the younger kids probably not as much?

Over here the age for not so very heavy drinks is 16, and more heavy drinks like whisky is 18.

Random, what country is that? I've never heard of it being policed like that. Shows my ignorance haha! So it's beer, etc at 16 and spirits at 18 for example?

Besides, I'm more conserned with smoking in the US.

What's the story with that CAV? Is it 18 in the US, are they discussing changing that too?

Random, what country is that? I've never heard of it being policed like that. Shows my ignorance haha! So it's beer, etc at 16 and spirits at 18 for example?

Holland, or The Netherlands (other name same thing).

I don't know where the boundary is, but this is what they always say in shops. Kids of my age can easily get beer, yeah. Don't know about the rest.

Ro, what age did you expect?

The whole raising the age limit thing for alcohol seems completely pointless to me.

It doesn't matter how much you raise it. People are going to be able to find ways to get alcohol anyway.

Heck, I've had a couple of drinks on special occasions. No one cares. You just need to know when is enough.

Self control, ya know?

I agree. It totally depends upon the person. Depends on how much you can control yourself. Drinking on occasions is okay, according to me. But it's true that raising the age limit won't be that good. It won't be matter for people.

Well see in NZ, with the drinking age at 18, kids as young as 11 & 12 try drinks and there are 13 & 14 year olds drinking heavily. If the drinking age is higher, then 18 year olds can easily get it but the younger kids probably not as much?

Hmmn. I agree, youngsters do drink, not knowing about the demerits of it. They just do it because they think it's cool, which I absolutely disagree with. I have seen my classmates and my seniors drinking a couple of times. People usually drink because they are worried or are tensed. But my seniors and friends drink because they think it's cool. You know, to impress others, to make them see how tough they are. Or they just drink it because it's fun. This is the only problem with youngster drinking. Well, it's my opinion. So, it can get messy sometimes. Sorry if I hurt anyone's sentiments.

I know for example in Portugal, drinking is treated much more casually, so my Portuguese friend almost never bothers to drink. Generally in European countries they are much more lax. I was just making sure, Viridian. I find that a lot of people promise never to drink when they're 15 or so, and then do anyway. At 17 this claim is more respectable.

Honestly, I think that half of what makes teenagers want to drink is the fact that it's not allowed. Cultures that make a huge deal out of alcohol consumption just make it seem more interesting than it actually is. I spent time in Germany, and everyone drank, but virtually no one got drunk- they learned at a young age exactly how much their bodies could tolerate and didn't feel "cool" for drinking...it was just something you did with friends on occasion.