Drinking alcohol

I do think they should keep the age as 18 to purchase alcohol and to consume it in an establishment etc (also from Alberta) but I believe that they should make a "law" similar to a curfew.

If you're between the ages of 15-17, you should be able to drink while in the presence of a parent or legal guardian. No that doesn't mean anyone random person over 18, a legitimate parent (yours or a friends) who can properly monitor your consumption and your actions.

It happens anyway :whistle:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do think they should keep the age as 18 to purchase alcohol and to consume it in an establishment etc (also from Alberta) but I believe that they should make a "law" similar to a curfew.

If you're between the ages of 15-17, you should be able to drink while in the presence of a parent or legal guardian. No that doesn't mean anyone random person over 18, a legitimate parent (yours or a friends) who can properly monitor your consumption and your actions.

This I completely agree with. It's a good compromise. Younger can drink (which stops them from feeling like they have to try to rebel) but they are supervised by responsible people, that watch what is going on. I like this idea.

In Ontario, it is legal for a minor to consume alcohol, under parental supervision, at a private residence. Of course, the adult is entirely responsible for the safety and well-being of their children while alcohol is consumed. I'm sure there can be charges if some over-consumption results in a bad outcome. Maybe it is the same in Alberta, if you read through the laws.

I had my first drink while sleeping over at a friend's house in highschool. Her parents were having a party, and her mom made us strawberry daiquiris. It was safe, and nothing bad happened. It was only one drink, so we didn't get drunk or anything.

I think we should lower it, as explained by Gaia. It will allow younger people to experiment in safe, legal environments, and it will remove the taboo which can lead to people drinking to excess to appear cool.

I still don't feel like that'll fix the problem of underage drinking. It'll still be uncool to have your parents hanging out with you when you and your friends are at a party getting buzzed.

I just get the feeling that if that were to come into effect, not many people would change their current habits.

Well, I have looked around at the people I know, and it is almost always the ones from stricter households/countries who go overboard - you learn with your family to drink, and that it's normal and okay, and then you learn your limits and that it's not cool because it's not taboo. Overwhelmingly the children of laisse-faire parents (and countries) are much more relaxed and unlikely to abuse privileges like alcohol.

Well, I have looked around at the people I know, and it is almost always the ones from stricter households/countries who go overboard - you learn with your family to drink, and that it's normal and okay, and then you learn your limits and that it's not cool because it's not taboo. Overwhelmingly the children of laisse-faire parents (and countries) are much more relaxed and unlikely to abuse privileges like alcohol.

Ironically, I was raised in a strict family. I wasn't allowed to drink until I was 21. And I've never had more than 2 drinks in one sitting. I've never had too much. I don't see the appeal in it. But then again, regardless of my upbring, I've naturally been more laid back, not caring about things that are supposedly "cool." For me, it's social.. a drink with a friend, or celebration, like an anniversay.

I think we should lower it, as explained by Gaia. It will allow younger people to experiment in safe, legal environments, and it will remove the taboo which can lead to people drinking to excess to appear cool.

If they want to keep it, they do so. I favor raising it to 20, but leaving is ok with me. But LOWERING it is the last thing they should do. If you can drink at 15 or something, then the parties will get even worse, and the drunk driving rate with increase. Also, it harms younger people (or in old terms, whippersnappers) more so than it would with people at 20 or even 18.

My N key is workig really badly, so please accept a post with almost zero Ns.

Youger tees are still uable to go places without their parets permission, so they would't be goig to crazy parties, even if they could drik. However, by the time they start to wat to party ad drik they will have already tasted alcohol, ad may have a greater uderstadig of their limits. Their parets, of course, would be able to regulate their use etirely, because they'd still be kids. That is better tha goig out for your first drik without ay supervisio or uderstadig of your limits.

Before I turned 21 I drank at home under parents' supervision. I think starting out that way helped me from getting positively smashed when I hit 21 and made me careful with how much I drink. Even now I don't even drink more than one or two alcoholic drinks in public or in private.

To be honest, my entire family is of the mind that if you can drive and go off to war (at 18) then you should be able to drink. It was interesting to be in Europe where the age is mostly 18. I was never carded in Europe, which I found to be odd.

I don't think it should be raised or lowered. Teenagers are already reckless and getting drunk behind the wheel, don't need more of them by lowering the drinking age. But, that's a bit hypocritical of me. Just keep the law that you can drink underage in your home with parents' supervision, nothing else.

Youger tees are still uable to go places without their parets permission, so they would't be goig to crazy parties, even if they could drik. However, by the time they start to wat to party ad drik they will have already tasted alcohol, ad may have a greater uderstadig of their limits. Their parets, of course, would be able to regulate their use etirely, because they'd still be kids. That is better tha goig out for your first drik without ay supervisio or uderstadig of your limits.

LOL about the N's - amusing =P

Well in my town, younger teens (ie 13/14) are able to go places without permission. They just don't listen.

And even if they have stricter parents, they just lie?

In NZ we already have the law that you can drink under your parents supervision if you are underage. So it's not that.

I think in general it is our overall culture. The parents can't educate teenagers about drinking responsibly as they are irresponsible drinkers themselves.

They need to overhaul the entire drinking attitude in NZ but I don't know how they would go about it.

Yeah, it's causig me a little less humour ad more ager. I do't wat to buy a etirely ew laptop for keys, but it's fallig apart. I'm ot sure what to say to that - perhaps 'cause I live i a big city, 13/14 year olds ca't go wherever they please, so I have o data.

Yeah, where I am, tons of people do things without their parents knowing. There are ways to get around the strictest parents.

I agree with Girl at the Rock Show, the problem isn't the law, it's the culture.

Even if kids could drink under supervision, they'd still drink without it too, all the time. And you know how things are. People tend to like to push their limits.

I think that it doesn't matter what the age is, people will still drink. I don't personally for religious reasons, and from what I've heard from my friends I'm not usually missing much. Besides, I don't see the point in getting drunk. I can understand a glass of wine or an occasional beer but when people are getting drunk it just seems dumb. I mean who really wants to be puking there guts out and making a total fool of themselves? I think there should be a law on how much one person can consume in public like at a bar, and that they should increase the fines and penalties for public intoxication, but really other than that there isn't a lot people can do.

1. Too many mistakes! Kidding.

2. Actually, most teens these days sneak out of parents houses or lie to their parents and say their going to a "study group", so actually, most teens are finding ways to get to alcohol.

3. They won't know their limits because the younger you are when you drink, the more likely you're going to get addicted and WON'T stop.

I have never heard of teenagers drinking at a supposed 'study party', but perhaps it's different where you live. Wouldn't that be in an afternoon, when nobody drinks? A 'study party' on the weekend is just unbelievable. Sneaking out and so on generally occur in later teenage years, and I'm talking about earlier - 13-15. If you're younger, you'll start drinking with greater supervision, because that is the nature of parenting and age (less supervision as you age), so your parents will be able to help control your forays into alcohol, making sure that you learn your limits slowly. Parents will not let their children drink until they're ill or whatever, so it will be more gradually instead of immediately binging your alcohol-related life with binge drinking. Could you provide a citation for the idea that how much you drink initially is related to whether you become addicted? Furthermore, whether the incidences of abuse are greater among drinkers who begin younger?

I'm in New York. And these "study parties" are on Friday nights. And they do happen 13-15 year old teens, mainly in the projects of Brooklyn. I live in a nicer, more safe neighborhood, but these kind of stories are everywhere on the news.

And yes, you're more likely to get addicted at a younger age than at the normal one. I did my reserch, and it's because brains are still devoloping at 13-15, and if you drink while your brain is still developing, your brain gets use to it and as it develops (at a slower rate might I add), it increases the need for alcohol, almost to the point that it depends on alcohol to grow.

I'm not very impressed with a parent who actually believes their child is going to a study party on a Friday night. Brains develop into your early twenties, but if 13-15 is especially strong, why not have the age 16? Or any age, as long as accompanied by certain individuals, like in Canada or New Zealand? Does it increase addiction even without binging?

If you're shy, drinking will give you confidence. People are also generally more friendly when drunk, making drunken events more casual and friendly.

Yes, of course, people are always more confident and friendly when they're drunk. That's why they beat their wives.

I'm not very impressed with a parent who actually believes their child is going to a study party on a Friday night. Brains develop into your early twenties, but if 13-15 is especially strong, why not have the age 16? Or any age, as long as accompanied by certain individuals, like in Canada or New Zealand? Does it increase addiction even without binging?

Actually, it's very believable. I mean, it could be as simple as a, "There isn't another time for us to get together."

Some studies show that alcohol can impede brain development and those who start drinking at a younger age will be more likely to allow it to become a habitual thing, which may lead to alcoholism. The point of the age limit being so high is to avoid that.

Actually, it's very believable. I mean, it could be as simple as a, "There isn't another time for us to get together."

For sure, and I know most parents want to believe their children. I know that if my [hypothetical] child said something like that I wouldn't want it to seem like I didn't trust him to leave the house...

If you're shy, drinking will give you confidence. People are also generally more friendly when drunk, making drunken events more casual and friendly.

I don't know where you live, but it's certainly not anywhere I know, in which people riot, beat their wives (like said above me), and go into drunken rages that can sometimes kill a person that did nothing wrong. Drinking can sometimes (a lot of times) make you depressed, the oppisite of confident. And I've never known or heard of a single drunk person that was "friendly".

CAV: I, in turn, am very surprised by this - where I am, I have never heard of a violent drunk. (In that case, the reason is probably to forget whatever causes their anger, or because they are alcoholics.) They're pretty much all friendly. I'm not saying drinking is a good thing - I'm saying it's better to learn it safely, in your own home, instead of on the streets. If you're with family, you're not going to get piss drunk, and a glass of wine with dinner every now and again isn't going to cause brain damage or alcoholism - it just means that by the time you start drinking with friends, you will be more accustomed to the effect, and won't go overboard.

On parenting: if you believe everything your children say, they will walk all over you. Discipline and love are both important things for parents to give their children. In fact, if you allow them to drink at your house, they will be doing it in a safe place where you can monitor them.

CAV: I, in turn, am very surprised by this - where I am, I have never heard of a violent drunk. (In that case, the reason is probably to forget whatever causes their anger, or because they are alcoholics.) They're pretty much all friendly.

Alcohol diminishes peoples' inhibitions. For most people, this makes them more outgoing and friendly. But for someone who is predisposed to violent outbursts or violent behaviour, all they usually have to hold them back is having their head about them. But if they have alcohol, they can lose control of themselves and turn violent.

I don't know where you live, but it's certainly not anywhere I know, in which people riot, beat their wives (like said above me), and go into drunken rages that can sometimes kill a person that did nothing wrong. Drinking can sometimes (a lot of times) make you depressed, the oppisite of confident. And I've never known or heard of a single drunk person that was "friendly".

Maybe they mean "tipsy" rather than full blown "drunk".