Drinking alcohol

It can be addicting if you overdose on it, but many people drink a little every so often and it's fine. Red wine is even healthy for you if you don't overdo it. :3

Be careful though, red wine is only healthy for you if you have one glass a day. And there is only evidence for people in the 40-60 year old age gap. No excuses for me unfortunately! =[

So stop slamming on me for one quote. If you deside to rant on me, do it for my entire argument (like people won't jump on that).

Sorry if I blasted at anyone. I barely had any sleep last night and I'm not in such a good mood.

Besides, the topic is not about if alcohol is good or not, it's about weither they should raise the legal age in AUS.

I don't believe anyone was slamming you, but in fact they were just debating your quote.

It's not personal.

Also I know myself find it hard to remember what people have previously posted, so I respond to posts [and even more often, parts of peoples posts!] rather than people's entire view

Also it was New Zealand, not Australia.

Also I agree with the people who say the news is very much over-hype. I come from a city in NZ famous for its drinking culture. We can have no problems all year, but one weekend it gets out of hand and they are all over it building it up. This just results in making it worse I believe.

Here in South Korea, it seems that the drinking age is... if you look old enough.

Seriously, back in middle school, we'd get the kid who was the tallest and looked the oldest to go to a corner market to pick up the local brand of alcohol. Whenever someone asks for an ID, the kid can usually get away with 'I forgot' or 'it's for my dad'. Usually these stores are run by people who really don't care and probably did the same things themselves when they were younger. I think the legal age is 18~19, whenever you graduate high school :P

In NZ it can be a bit like that in small towns. In the cities especially the main centres they check IDs religiously. They even have a slogan saying "if you look under 25 don't be offended" - because they will ask to see ID. [The drinking age is 18!]. Supermarkets seem to be even worse. Plus they do this "Group ID" thing these days. If a bunch of you go to the supermarket and one person buys wine, they will ID everybody in the group. Does that happen anywhere else??

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I'm new... I thought I would get in on this discussion to ease my way in here.

I'm going to admit to you - I'm 19 and personally, I could go both ways with the drinking age. I understand why the drinking age would be 21 and why it could be lower. Although, my main concern is the fact that while our soldiers can go off and fight at 18 - they cannot drink. If they are risking their lives for us, shouldn't they be able to have the experience of drinking? Also, isn't is said that the countries with lower drinking ages have less of a substance abuse problem? I'm sure it is because they can handle it and know what their reaction to alcohol is, too.

It's kind of a Catch-22 situation, anyway you make the law, people will be unhappy.

I don't really see the connection between fighting for your country and drinking alcohol. I see your point, but not the connection. It strikes me as an entirely different discussion.

And I'd like to see statistics on the relation between age and chances of substance abuse, admittedly, mainly out of curiosity.

yay for Kiwi's!!!

It's interesting isn't it? I don't think in NZ it's generally the drinking age - it definitely is the binge drinking that affects the population.

I don't think I'm being very clear - I mean yesterday there was that thing on the news about how they breathalysed everyone who went to the Rugby game between Christ College and Christchurch boys (Two highschools in Christchurch, New Zealand), because last year an alcohol induced brawl started after the match. How old were the people in this brawl? I estimate somewhere between 17-20. Due to their stupidity, some oldtimers/old boys who always had a beer before the match were turned away (They were in their 60's-70's), which isn't fair on them because they weren't going to cause any fights!

So people who just started drinking etc are the ones who create a bad image for people within that age range, which is why they want to up the drinking age. But I mean, there are heaps of people who just go out on a Friday, Saturday night for a good time and a bit of disinhibited dancing!!!

yay for Kiwi's!!!

It's interesting isn't it? I don't think in NZ it's generally the drinking age - it definitely is the binge drinking that affects the population.

I don't think I'm being very clear - I mean yesterday there was that thing on the news about how they breathalysed everyone who went to the Rugby game between Christ College and Christchurch boys (Two highschools in Christchurch, New Zealand), because last year an alcohol induced brawl started after the match. How old were the people in this brawl? I estimate somewhere between 17-20. Due to their stupidity, some oldtimers/old boys who always had a beer before the match were turned away (They were in their 60's-70's), which isn't fair on them because they weren't going to cause any fights!

So people who just started drinking etc are the ones who create a bad image for people within that age range, which is why they want to up the drinking age. But I mean, there are heaps of people who just go out on a Friday, Saturday night for a good time and a bit of disinhibited dancing!!!

You're from NZ? Wicked =D

Yeah for sure it's a small number eh, like the majority can handle it perfectly fine.

However the people who can handle it, probably don't necessarily judge the people who can't handle it. Like they just think its normal

Hopefully we can change our binge drinking culture =D without putting too many constricting laws in!

Guest Yoshinho

I guess some people can take it at 18 and you probably can take it at 21 since I think that is the legal age to drink in the US. I am fine with it. Doesn't matter if someone drinks or not.

I guess some people can take it at 18 and you probably can take it at 21 since I think that is the legal age to drink in the US. I am fine with it. Doesn't matter if someone drinks or not.

Thats just the thing though - Since the legal age here is 18, it makes sense that people start drinking 'for fun' around 15-16. But the thing is, these 15-16 yo aren't 'rebels' they're just.. everyone. Probably about 50% or more of people that age drink for a good time. But in the US (and correct me if i'm wrong - very possible! Am about to make a generalisation) as the drinking age is 21, people don't generally start drinking until they are 17-19, perhaps.

The point Im trying to make is that as the drinking age increases, so does the normal age we start drinking - most people start drinking before its legal! But 18 means that you start a bit younger.

But then if we follow the model of Europe, they have a very small binge drinking culture. They're not use to restrictions put on alcohol - having been drinking wine with dinner from a young age. Therefore they never develop that stigma associated with alcohol and don't go crazy on it - what do you guys reckon? A better example to follow?

I drink Samuel Adams casually and I'm only 16. I really don't get the big deal. The way I see it is, the fact that the consumption of alcohol is illegal at a certain age in most countries, is what leads teenagers to think that it's super cool to drink so much that you pass out.

In a similar vein, the only real reason that drugs like weed, acid, salvia, etc. are seen as ~evil~, is the fact that it's illegal. People who consume these drugs aren't criminals in the moral sense. Coffee and alcohol are just as bad for your health, if not more so.

Guest Yoshinho

I agree. Drinking does not make you a bad person. It is your choice to drink nobody can change that well unless you wake up in an open field xD. Anyways the point is it will do bad to your health but not to others most of the time.

No point in a drinking age really, underage people will find a way to get it. If there is prohibition, there will just be an illegal business just like illegal drugs

No point in a drinking age really, underage people will find a way to get it. If there is prohibition, there will just be an illegal business just like illegal drugs

Exactly. The whole "drug war" thing is ridiculous. All it does is cause actual crime to be committed (murder, kidnapping, etc).

Exactly. The whole "drug war" thing is ridiculous. All it does is cause actual crime to be committed (murder, kidnapping, etc).

But do you really think that if the age was taken away, the crime and young kids drinking would stop?

But do you really think that if the age was taken away, the crime and young kids drinking would stop?

I never said that omitting the age requirement would stop young children from drinking. I don't know where you got that from. And I also never said that the age requirement on alcohol causes crime. I was saying that the fact that harmless drugs, like weed, acid, et cetera, are illegal causes real crimes to be committed that actually harm people. If they were made legal, people wouldn't kill each other to obtain it or smuggle it.

I never said that omitting the age requirement would stop young children from drinking. I don't know where you got that from. And I also never said that the age requirement on alcohol causes crime. I was saying that the fact that harmless drugs, like weed, acid, et cetera, are illegal causes real crimes to be committed that actually harm people. If they were made legal, people wouldn't kill each other to obtain it or smuggle it.

Oops I meant to quote Tyler, the post above you. My question fits his post more. Sorry.

Since I'm new... I thought I would get in on this discussion to ease my way in here.

I'm going to admit to you - I'm 19 and personally, I could go both ways with the drinking age. I understand why the drinking age would be 21 and why it could be lower. Although, my main concern is the fact that while our soldiers can go off and fight at 18 - they cannot drink. If they are risking their lives for us, shouldn't they be able to have the experience of drinking? Also, isn't is said that the countries with lower drinking ages have less of a substance abuse problem? I'm sure it is because they can handle it and know what their reaction to alcohol is, too.

It's kind of a Catch-22 situation, anyway you make the law, people will be unhappy.

There are bars specifically on military bases where they serve everyone in the Service, even under 21 people (boys).

I think what's most messed up about the US is the drinking and driving. Most teenagers and young people (under 21) who are involved in a car accident were drinking or doing drugs. Sad.

Of course the next messed up thing is the taboo. My parents let me sip alcohol and I realized I didn't like it. Now that I'm 21, I occasionally drink but never too much.

I'm in Germany right now and the thing they got right was the taboo. It doesn't exist here. Also they have their drinking age and driving age reversed, so teens learn to control their alcohol first before getting behind the wheel.

There are bars specifically on military bases where they serve everyone in the Service, even under 21 people (boys).

“Federal law (United States Code) requires military installation commanders to adopt the same drinking age as the state in which the military base is located. The only exception to this rule is if the base is located within 50 miles of Canada or Mexico, or a state with a lower drinking age, the installation commander may adopt the lower drinking age for military personnel on base.”

http://usmilitary.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=usmilitary&zu=http%3A//www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/10/2683.html

“Federal law (United States Code) requires military installation commanders to adopt the same drinking age as the state in which the military base is located. The only exception to this rule is if the base is located within 50 miles of Canada or Mexico, or a state with a lower drinking age, the installation commander may adopt the lower drinking age for military personnel on base.”

http://usmilitary.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=usmilitary&zu=http%3A//www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/10/2683.html

Huh, well thank you for providing a source to clarify my claim.

I wonder how long ago they adopted this law. Perhaps there was a point in time where there was the age at 21 throughout the country, yet bases still had the 18+ bars.

*shrug*

I didn't really understand all of the legal jargon, but it sounds like the base can opt for a lower drinking age if they are close to a jurisdiction that has a lower drinking age than 21. It makes sense, since the underage soldiers will just travel into Mexico or Canada to drink if they are that close to the border. I live in a Canadian border town, and a big part of our bar clientèle is 19-20-year-old Americans. It was even more obvious when I lived in Windsor, Ontario, right across the border from Detroit. It has a HUGE bar scene that caters to young Americans.

My dad is old enough to experience the 18 drinking age and I remember him mentioning that his generation ruined it for the future. I haven't asked him if the drinking and driving was as bad as it is now with the "21" age.

A few weeks ago, a family in new england got in HUGE trouble for having a post prom party where there was alcohol. The parents said they didn't supply the booze, but there are some parents who are okay with supplying beer as long as the kids surrender their keys. Newsflash, it doesn't work! somehow they always find a way to drink and drive. :(

It was bad enough to have those really creepy after school specials where they showed massive car wrecks and gory dead bodies. :(

Those were creepy. Luckily my school held them every other year, so you got to see it once. *nods*

I don't really get the whole point in drinking alcohol, to be completely honest. I'm of age and have been and have maybe drank too few times to say I'm much of anything. I think I've drank like three or four times in total and I'm nearly 23 (will be on Sunday). It's alright, though nothing too big where you want to do it constantly. It just seems a way to waste money. I did drink when I turned 21, but I was with friends on my birthday, so yeah. It was fun to know you have that sort of privilege without going against the law. But I guess I never quite understood the need to loose control of one's self, maybe because my father was an alcoholic. He hasn't drank since a bit after I was born, so I wasn't brought up in that sort of environment where it's alright to drink, maybe like some of my cousins are. Everything in life has limitations, especially with drinking.

I think the whole reason why many teens are interested in the whole drinking thing is because we've made a huge deal about it. I mean, we have restrictions for such an older age and yeah. Teens get curious and probably don't know when enough is actually enough, which occurs to the whole drunkness. I heard in other countries, they see us Americans oddly because a lot get to that drunkage stage. I don't remember where I heard that but yeah.