The Official Pokemon Topic

CAV of Gang Green

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone ever played what is refereed to as The Nuzlocke Challenge?

Basically, you start a new game of Pokemon, any game. You can only catch the first Pokemon you run into on a route, and that's it. One per route, and if you accidentally kill it instead of catching you, you can't catch any from that route.

But the worst part is that if your Pokemon faints, it's considered dead. You either have to box it for the rest of the game or release it. If all your Pokemon faint, it's game over.

I'm doing a run-through of Nuzlocke on Emerald. I'm only at the 1st gym and I'm already stressed out! It's a real fun (and draining!) way of playing the games over again. Plus: a lot of people draw comics about it, and hopefully if time allows, I'll be doodling one too. It gets pretty serious if done right.

I wish they allowed more than one file too, but then how easy would it be to train with yourself?

I'm playing it on an emulator, which allows many, many save slots.

Sounds interesting! Although, I probably wouldn't catch any Pokemon because they usually faint before I realize its time to catch it.

That sounds haaaard. Too hard for me.

Right now I'm grinding along trying to fill my Pokedex, I've been careful to catch only first-stage Pokemon and then taking them out in groups of five according to Pokedex number, with a "competent" fully trained one, up through their evolutions until the last one in the group has reached their final evolution. Single evolution Pokemon I'll train up a bit afterwards just so they're not neglected. I'm nearing the end of the first set of 150 now, it's tiresome. But I'd come to the realization that I always just train up one, balanced team, and usually ignore others, there are some Pokemon that I'd NEVER used before I started doing this.

When I went for my Black Trainer Card in Pearl, I did a lot of trading over the GTS. I'd seen all of the ones in game, naturally, so it was a chinch to just search down a good deal or ask for what I needed. It took a while, yes, and there were some I just trained up, but the bulk of them came from trades.

I have heard of that and a number of other challenges, but they never really appealed to me. I rather like my style of play.

Not to interrupt, but I'd like to know something about a message from my Pokemon Sapphire GBA cartridge.

"The internal battery has run dry. This means that time-based events will no longer occur."

What is this supposed to mean?

Not to interrupt, but I'd like to know something about a message from my Pokemon Sapphire GBA cartridge.

"The internal battery has run dry. This means that time-based events will no longer occur."

That happens to some older copies of Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, it means that any time-based events (including trainer rematches, berry growings, etc.) won't occur. You can bring your problematic cartridge to a GameStop (or a game repair shop), and they'll fix it for you.

Time based events will not occur. Basically, your game is slowly breaking, because that happened to me, and in a few months, my game wasn't working.

Obviously, that's just a guess.

EDIT: I didn't notice the post above. :P

When I went for my Black Trainer Card in Pearl, I did a lot of trading over the GTS. I'd seen all of the ones in game, naturally, so it was a chinch to just search down a good deal or ask for what I needed. It took a while, yes, and there were some I just trained up, but the bulk of them came from trades.

Yeah, I figure at some point I'll run out of 'mon that I can get natively in SoulSilver and start migrating then from Pearl (which in turn has all my Ruby and FireRed guys on it) and then I'll just be left with the rarer legendaries to trade for. But i'm doing this more for the chance to actually bother using Pokemon I usually tend to ignore.

That happens to some older copies of Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, it means that any time-based events (including trainer rematches, berry growings, etc.) won't occur. You can bring your problematic cartridge to a GameStop (or a game repair shop), and they'll fix it for you.

Hmm, we don't have GameStop over here. I'll have to investigate a way to get it fixed.

Can that internal battery problem happen to DS games?

(And yeah, haha, so far Nuzlocke is hard. And scary! If my Torchic dies, I will be heartbroken. Just had to box my Zigzagzoon. :( Le sigh. And the body count commences!)

No, since the DS has a built in clock, the games themselves don't need one. As such, no internal battery, no issues with it. Now, if the clock on your DS goes out, you have much bigger problems that in-game events.

(And yeah, haha, so far Nuzlocke is hard. And scary! If my Torchic dies, I will be heartbroken. Just had to box my Zigzagzoon. :( Le sigh. And the body count commences!)

I knows! I started a few nights ago and already lost my Wooper and Gastly D:

At least I have the others! Alejandro(Quilava), Hedwig(Noctowl), Golbez(Kadabra), Kain(Eevee), Terra(Graveler), and Angel(Azumarill). I don't have a lot in my PC so I'm praying none of these will faint anytime soon!

I'm on my way to Cianwood City on my Crystal Nuzlocke Challenge!

Will I survive? Will Alejandro meet a tragic end? D: Stay tuned! xD

(Yay Final Fantasy IV references in your names! I've been playing that lately on my DS before bed.)

You got a Kadabra for Nuzlocke? *thumbsup* Sweet! How close to the rules are you staying? Some people only buy one Pokeball per town and don't allow healing items during battle, which I find INSANE. That's not Pokemon, that's suicide.

(Yay Final Fantasy IV references in your names! I've been playing that lately on my DS before bed.)

You got a Kadabra for Nuzlocke? *thumbsup* Sweet! How close to the rules are you staying? Some people only buy one Pokeball per town and don't allow healing items during battle, which I find INSANE. That's not Pokemon, that's suicide.

(Woohoo thanks for noticing the FF references!).

Omg I was SO happy when my first encounter on Route 35 was an Abra! I was so scared it would teleport so I had Hedwig(Hoothoot at the time) use Hypnosis on it and then caught it. My other lucky pokemon was Angel(Marill) from Mt. Mortar because soon I have to go to Cianwood and I didn't ANY pokemon that could surf >.< went there and I was sooo careful on getting that Marill xD

As for the rules, besides the original 2, I need to nickname all the pokemon I catch, only get ONE chance for all the legends (if they die, struggle, or I'm out of pokeballs, tough luck!), NO ITEMS AFTER battle, and if my whole team loses, any pokemon in the PC are my last hope haha xD

Oh I haven't heard of that rule for legendaries. I was thinking I'd do without them. (This is good news! Yay!)

I only have:

Niles the Butterfree

Nevada the Whimsur (Whom I love/HATE. She killed my Zigzagzoon, so I caught her and forced her to pay off her debt. Whimsurs kind of freak me out.)

Rohan the Poochyena

Bernard the Taillow

and Haywood the Torchic.

I'm only at the first gym, which I am dreading. I don't have any proper Pokemon to take on rock! Fire, out, Normal, out. Flying, out. :(

Hmmm...you could do what I did against Whitney, OVERTRAIN!!! xD I beat her Clefairy and Miltank with just Hedwig using Hypnosis and Peck ^^ Because I was 5 lvls ahead of her, so you could evolve Torchic and probably be extra careful when using Haywood's fighting moves.

I am grinding so much, which is why this is taking so long! Pah. Why couldn't I have stumbled upon a water type?

Niles has a grass move that can probably take them out in one shot, but if he dies I'll be crushed! I'm going to create a new game on another save slot (yay for emulators!) soon so I can play Emerald regularly, without the pressure of keeping my little friends alive.

That's why I'm doing this challenge on my old Crystal version since that's the game I usually restart whenever I get really bored and wanna play from the very beginning lolz!

I was so crushed when a trainer's DIGLETT fainted my Wooper T^T Wooper was gonna be my main water/ground type xD Plus the only things in my PC are a Spinarak, Stantler, Paras, Zubat, Magby(thank you Daycare man for the free egg), and that's it '.'

Did he kill it with MAGNITUDE (!!!)? Haha, that's always what I die from, in any Pokemon game! It's the dreaded move of destruction.

It was EXACTLY THAT MOVE!!!! D:

He got magnitude 8 and then 10 so of course she didn't survive T^T Then a Kadabra fainted my Gastly when I was training Golbez to evolve into my own Kadabra v.v One critical-hit Confusion...