More Vampires anyone...?

Maryyam

40 members have voted

1. 1. More Vampires?

• NO MORE I SAY, THEY'VE SUCKED ME DRY!
    • Mhm...Could've cared less...
    • Vampires=♥ of my life
    • my dream is to grow up and marry a vampire

I was just wondering what people think of the vampire rage that's taken over the Harry Potter fever.

I used to love vampires in my early teens, i am still fascinated by the whole blood sucker concept and am interested in the whole fantasy aspect of it...BUT, i think it's being too hyped and given wayyy too much media coverage. Everywhere i turn i find a vampire, so now i'm just annoyed of them.

What about you guys?

Anyone else had enough of vampires?

Or are you still in the their thrall?

And what galls me most of all is that even though i am not liking too many vampires at the moment, i still want to go see Daybreakers?!

(although i still haven't seen/read the Twilight series...to me its more Faerie like then the type of gruesomeness i attach to vampires, i mean, if you've watched the anime hellsing, u know what i'm talking about...Alucard is the only vamp i've ever obsessed over, and even that was 6 years ago :evo:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always loved vampires, and I still do.

But the type I like are nothing like what's "everywhere" today. I love the idea of the CLASSIC vampires, y'know... how they used to be before all of this.

I absolutely despise the concept that vampires sparkle in the sun rather than burst into flames or something.

I went to see Daybreakers sometime last week. And, although it's not the best film I've seen, it's amazing to see PROPER vampires again.

But all this popularity has just put me off :(

I would love to grow up and marry a vampire. But not like, "OMG EDWARRRRDDD." Like someone who is completely real and tangible but pretty much is a vampire (except for all the... immortalness and whatnot).

But yeah, that aside, Vampires are too over-exposed, and (forgive me for using this term; know I'm going to sound like my mother saying this <_<) hip. Yeah, vampires are too "in" right now. Which stinks, because that's what's fascinated me for so long. But no. If I were to say I liked vampires, "OH YOU WANT TO MARRY EDWARD TOO HERPDERP?" Um, no, I'd rather not marry a hairy, sparkly, lipstick wearing... thing.

What's with pop culture having to take over something that was so great and pretty much ruin it?

I've always loved vampires, and I still do.

But the type I like are nothing like what's "everywhere" today. I love the idea of the CLASSIC vampires, y'know... how they used to be before all of this.

I absolutely despise the concept that vampires sparkle in the sun rather than burst into flames or something.

I went to see Daybreakers sometime last week. And, although it's not the best film I've seen, it's amazing to see PROPER vampires again.

But all this popularity has just put me off :(

hi, don't know if you've watched the anime Hellsing, but the vampire in it is called Alucard, (it's dracula spelled backwards...) anywho, thats some real vampire! All that i think of when i picture a vampire if Alucard, NOT Edwards, i mean i think he's handsome, so are a million other guys...

I'm so tired of the vampire craze. It understand the twilight movies are a big hit but now there are also so many shows taking off about vampires. None of that bothers me though but when I go to my local bookstore, the young adult section that I used to like so much has been completely taken over by vampire books! Most of the books I enjoy and would like to read are gone now and I hate it.

I agree with num1ortonfan.

Before Twilight movies came out, the bookstore never really

obsessed over vampire books. They were safely tucked away in

some bookshelf that fits the vampire book's genre.

But after the Twilight movie came out, the bookstore became

infested with vampire books. I borrowed one from my friend

and read it for a day. I got to the middle of the book.

Personally, I thought the storyline wasn't too thrilling.

A lot of people I know are reading books about vampires.

I don't have anything against vampires nor the people that

like them. I just think this "Edwardismyhubby." thing is just

weird.

To tell you the truth, i've never even understood the original Vampire hype. Oooh, blood-sucking bat, that's so cool! Just dosen't sound right, ya'know?

And i've alway hated Twilight. I mean come on, an abusive, short-tempered, sparkly vampire supposedly falls in love with a mortal. And then there's something about werewolves in there too? Really? Thank you Meyer for ruining my veiw of vampires... <_<

So yeah, I wish we could jst get a new distracionand rid urselve of this Vampre festation. Maybe that Percy Jackson movie is just what we need to forget the vampires...

I have grown to hate vampires for the most part. Twilight, Vampire Diaries etc. have made everything involving vampires into love stories.

I know this is a bit off topic, but it's funny. At my school, all the Twilight super fans are guys xD

I read the twilight series and I won't say that it is one of the worst but I am not even gonna say that it is one of the best also. All the hype started with Edward, blame him for everything devil.gif.

My peeve with vampires is the Twilight hype. I have been told by about 50 girls from my school "Oh, you should read the Twilight series, it's soooo great!" No. I'm sorry. It's not. It's not even about vampires. It's about teenagers who don't grow up mentally or physically who spend their time rolling around in sparkle-dust. Those aren't vampires, they're glampires. Vampires are supposed to terrify you and melt in the sunlight (or go poof or whatever it is that they do.) No, there have been some things come out with ACTUAL vampire premises, but they only came out due to the Twilight craze, and I, for one, refuse to participate. It's just a thing with me. Give me Dracula - terrifying, evil, bloodthirsty. Not a vegetarian sparklepire.

I was really fascinated by vampires when I was younger, but I was also terrified of them :P

I must add that Meyer never intended to 'ruin' anybody's view of vampires. She just took the concept and added her own twist to vampires and werewolves (or shapeshifters). I think that is pretty cool. I mean, vampires don't really excist anyway, so why not? I give her kudos for that. Also, Twilight is more of a romance novel with some sort of action/fantasy than a 'vampire book', I think the media just started calling Twilight a vampire novel.

However, I do think it's amazingly lame that vampires are 'in' all of the sudden. So, no, no more vampires for me.

My peeve with vampires is the Twilight hype. I have been told by about 50 girls from my school "Oh, you should read the Twilight series, it's soooo great!" No. I'm sorry. It's not. It's not even about vampires. It's about teenagers who don't grow up mentally or physically who spend their time rolling around in sparkle-dust. Those aren't vampires, they're glampires. Vampires are supposed to terrify you and melt in the sunlight (or go poof or whatever it is that they do.) No, there have been some things come out with ACTUAL vampire premises, but they only came out due to the Twilight craze, and I, for one, refuse to participate. It's just a thing with me. Give me Dracula - terrifying, evil, bloodthirsty. Not a vegetarian sparklepire.

lol same here, i haven't read any of the books or the movies, i picked up the first book cause my friend was forcing me, and read a random page, it turned out to be too lame for me to read, it was about bella not being able to concentrate on her computer because she couldn't stop thinking about edwan, or whatever his name is and how hot/sexy his eyes look/his body and what not. Totally not my type of book... <_<

I have grown to hate vampires for the most part. Twilight, Vampire Diaries etc. have made everything involving vampires into love stories.

I know this is a bit off topic, but it's funny. At my school, all the Twilight super fans are guys xD

are you kidding me? all the fans r guy? haha, thats too funny :laughingsmiley:

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Stephé) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not double post. Use the edit button instead.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

I also get frustrated with the idea of "proper" vampires because most people's idea of a "proper" vampire isn't even the traditional, ancient view (which was more like bloated, ugly banshees). If the idea of vampires (as well as werewolves, banshees, etc.) didn't change and evolve then we would be missing out on so many amazing pieces of horror fiction--including, yes, Dracula, as well as Nosferatu and other "proper", iconic vampires. And while I hardly think "Twilight" is high-brow literature, I can't fault Meyer for playing with the idea of what vampires should be like. Is the sparkling thing stupid? Yes, but it's just as rooted in traditional vampire concepts as anything. Vampires don't go out in the day: Why? Their skin sparkles giving them away. It's daft, but I can't fault her for trying to create a new way to interpret an old myth.

That being said, I do think Young Adult publishers need to lay off the vampire romance genres, but I can't fathom the idea of no new vampire literature under general horror. There's too many good stories being published for adults, at the very least. Granted, they don't get the hype of YA vampire series, but they're there and those of us who are avid horror enthusiasts like them, and wouldn't want them to go away any time soon.

If anything I would love if the horror section of my local bookstore had more vampires (or more ANYTHING) and less Stephen King and Dean Koontz, who populate half of the already-small shelving sections.

I also get frustrated with the idea of "proper" vampires because most people's idea of a "proper" vampire isn't even the traditional, ancient view (which was more like bloated, ugly banshees). If the idea of vampires (as well as werewolves, banshees, etc.) didn't change and evolve then we would be missing out on so many amazing pieces of horror fiction--including, yes, Dracula, as well as Nosferatu and other "proper", iconic vampires. And while I hardly think "Twilight" is high-brow literature, I can't fault Meyer for playing with the idea of what vampires should be like. Is the sparkling thing stupid? Yes, but it's just as rooted in traditional vampire concepts as anything. Vampires don't go out in the day: Why? Their skin sparkles giving them away. It's daft, but I can't fault her for trying to create a new way to interpret an old myth.

That being said, I do think Young Adult publishers need to lay off the vampire romance genres, but I can't fathom the idea of no new vampire literature under general horror. There's too many good stories being published for adults, at the very least. Granted, they don't get the hype of YA vampire series, but they're there and those of us who are avid horror enthusiasts like them, and wouldn't want them to go away any time soon.

If anything I would love if the horror section of my local bookstore had more vampires (or more ANYTHING) and less Stephen King and Dean Koontz, who populate half of the already-small shelving sections.

i get your take on this whole thing, but due to Twilight, vampires have been given a makeover and many teens are perceiving them to be something that is completely different from their original style. The whole vampire fantasy has become every teens (well, i am generalizing, but from what i have seen in schools its not over blown) knight in shining armor. Which is really gross to me because vampires were never knights in shinning armor. Nor someone you'd want to grow up and marry. Sure you can fantasize about them, but...he whole vamp phase taking over right now it a bit overblown for my taste...

yeah, i couldnt care less, its just vampires, i mean theres always going to be a new vampire movie! why would you care? its just vampires theyre classic and theyre really good to be on movies with. but, like i said, i dont really care im not angry or happy that theres more vampires, im just in the middle

i get your take on this whole thing, but due to Twilight, vampires have been given a makeover and many teens are perceiving them to be something that is completely different from their original style. The whole vampire fantasy has become every teens (well, i am generalizing, but from what i have seen in schools its not over blown) knight in shining armor. Which is really gross to me because vampires were never knights in shinning armor. Nor someone you'd want to grow up and marry. Sure you can fantasize about them, but...he whole vamp phase taking over right now it a bit overblown for my taste...

That's one way to look at it. At the other hand, you could also call it original. (though the writer of the vampire diaries had come up with the idea of 'good' vampires before Meyer did)

I couldn't care less if people like Twilight or not. I, myself, love the books, there's just something about them that sucks me in, but I get why people don't like it. Anyways, it will blow over sometime, so just hang on I guess ;p

• 3 weeks later...

Well the concept is great. the whole, blood-drinking, elegant, "Underworld" type vampires. And the twilight ones are great as a book but are kinda getting old. I mean they go against all the things were used to believing about vampire. But im still a massive fan ^^

• 2 weeks later...

Never been that much into vampires. I don't mind them as a concept and I don't mind reading a few books about them, but I've never been obsessed with them. Personally I like Terry Pratchett's view on vampires and how they survive in Ankh-Morpork, Stuart Hill also writes well about them in the Cry of the Icemark trilogy. But I think one of the main things about these novels is that they are not solely based around vampires, vampires are just another set of characters which bring the novel to its full potential. It's also rare for them to focus solely on one vampire which kind of gets rid of the teenage love story threat!

No, no, and no. Things like Twilight and The Vampire Diaries have ruined the image of the blood-suckers. The only vampires I like are the classics, like Dracula. But they seem to be absent, and all you see are abs, emo people and that wh*** Bella. We've seen enough Vampires for a while now. If Dracula comes back, then maybe my mind could be changed. But as long as Twilight has teenage girls and the media in their grip, then no.

If you haven't noticed, I REALLY hate Twilight. Stupid Edward.

I do have a likeness to vampires, when I was in elementary school, I even watch Bramstocker Dracula..

:P

But seriously, I don't like what people turn vampire nowadays. It's okay if you made a love story between vampire and human or whatever it is, but it turn out into a cheesy and because-it's-hit-we'll-make-more stories..

:-(

I like the -old- film Interview With The Vampire, or the new series like True Blood, animes/manga like Hellsing, Trinity Blood, or movies like Blade...

But not Twilight seriously...

And I'm sorry if anything I mention here was unpleasant for others, but.. yeah, that's my opinion...

On a side note, the twilight mega obsession occurred when they made a film of it... The books were around for quite a while before that.

Actually, the books became popular about three years after they were published, while the movie was probably in production. It might not have been, though, because it looks like someone made it with a half-hour time limit and a $50 budget in someone's backyard.