Big Change: Quitting Smoking

Daily Dare

Yup, I've decided to quit smoking. Bought a big box of nicotine gum (cheap brand, of course). It tastes horrible, but if I have another piece of gum with it, it's tolerable.

I want to quit, I really do.

But not as much as my girlfriend wants me to quit. <.<

Any tips?

Good lucks are appreciated. ^.^

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My husband is trying to quit right now too. He finds it easier when he has something in his mouth, like cough drops, to help with the oral fixation.

Something else he does is he uses dip every few days, just a little. But I'm not really sure how that'll help in the long run...

Never tried dip, it has never appealed to me.

I don't mind the gum too much. They say that the average smoker needs 10 pieces a day, and you chew each piece for 30 minutes, so that's 5 hours of gum in your mouth. Maybe your husband could benefit from nicotine gum?

He hates the way the gum tastes. Plus, he can't really chew it as often as he'd need to since he's in uniform all day. The only reason he was allowed cough drops was because he had pneumonia. Now he just thinks of other things when the urge hits.

Dip doesn't really appeal to him either, but it's easier to make the transition from having nicotine to not getting nicotine if you do it gradually rather than cold turkey. At least, that would be the logical thing.

My sister and her husband had to quite smoking real suddenly and real fast when my sister got pregnant.

They were really worried about not be able to do it, but they used these tapes, and quite no problem.

I'm not sure the exact title of the tapes, but I think they guy that does them is like Alan Carr? Something like that.

Good Luck! I hope you are successful, for you and your girlfriend...LOL.

It's really good that you've decided to quit smoking! I have absolutely no experience with smoking or drugs of any kind, so all I can really do is wish you the best of luck and pray it won't be a terribly tough transition!

Seems like a lot of people I know are attempting to quit smoking. Good on ya! To be honest, the only success stories are from people who either quit cold turkey or have used Champix but that is a tad expensive for some people. Good luck! Just think of all the money you'll save! lol

If your friends our a lot of people you regularly hang out with are smokers and you smoke in a group type situation then try and avoid them. I used to work in a car yard where the salesmen often had nothing to do so they'd have a smoke, and they'd be smoking at least half the day. I'd suggest you try and stay away from people or situations you'd usually smoke with or smoke in because you'll get to break the habit of "oh I'm having my favourite beer, I gotta have a smoke with it".

And, GOOD LUCK!!

Congrats on your decision to quit smoking! I, like Livvy, have not had any personal experience with any kind of drug, but I figure using something that'll take your mind off smoking would help.

I will be training myself to not go outside for a smoke at breaks, although it is cold out, I like the fresh air.

The upside is that because I work in a call center, my breaks rarely fall in the same time slot as my smoking co-worker's breaks. :)

I will be training myself to not go outside for a smoke at breaks, although it is cold out, I like the fresh air.

The upside is that because I work in a call center, my breaks rarely fall in the same time slot as my smoking co-worker's breaks. :)

Good for you for wanting this better, healthier life.

I quit smoking 6 years ago.

at first I smoked less, but that doesn't work for everyone; most people need the 'cold turkey' method. I replaced my "addiction" with exercise. Instead of a cigarette break, I took a fast walk around the block.

The biggest change was I became an avid "anti smoker". The smell would make me want a cigarette, so I would tell people not to smoke near me, and I would leave areas where there was smoking going on. I had to pretty much avoid the places I smoked before, and those people.

You can do it!

Bleh, I had quit on my birthday (April 28) last year and just yesterday picked up a pack. Going through so much crap right now. Anyway, I don't even know how I did it.. I just quit cold turkey. I smoked an entire pack at the bar that night in 2 hours and was drunk off my butt and while I was coughing and throwing up I decided to quit! So maybe try that..? LOL

Okok, so that's no good. Just try and think about all the bad things like:

- Heart disease & Lung disease and cancers

- Bad breath

- Stinking like smoke all the time

- Teeth discoloration

and probably more. That always helped me stop! I'm already like EW, my breath stinks again! o_O

Thanks for the support. I had a couple at work yesterday (I know I can't quit cold turkey), but since late yesterday and this morning I feel tight in the chest. Probably going to lay off the gum for a couple hours this morning to see if it will subside (and not smoke as well).

Thanks again for all the support!

*feels tingly inside*

Good luck quitting. I quit 9 years ago and I couldn't start again now. It's actually easier to just go cold turkey as I tried cutting down so many times and was never able to quit completely, friends have said the same.

Good for you, and I wish you the best of luck! I don't smoke, so I can't really suggest anything, but I've heard that eating something (like carrot sticks) when you get a craving can help. And if all else fails, just think about how healthy you'll be and how much money you'll save when you've completely kicked the addiction :)