Mysterious Messages Being Sent

Ian

FOR AN UPDATE: Click here

Hello everybody,

Recently TDN has been the target of some hackers and we've received various reports of the hackers creating accounts on TDN Forums and then mass PMing our members with "links to Neopets." Little may you know, these links are masked and do NOT lead to Neopets, they lead to cookie grabbing/virus websites. DO NOT visit any suspicious links sent to you by members you don't know. EVER.

Report all spam-messages with harmful links to a moderator immediately. Thank you!

Stay safe,

Ian

This is VERY important.

ANY link can be disguised as something else. If you see an offer that seems too good to be true, please please PLEASE check the properties before you click ANYTHING. Just right click the link and click Properties, then check the address to see if it's real.

And yes, report any suspicious links to a moderator.

Thank you.

Thaladirith: If you clicked those links, it would be best to scan your computer for any viruses.

Well it was really weird it just sent me to a Neopets website where the opening for a game was played. I figured it was probably a CG because it was on Neopets. It was like images.neopets.com/something idk.

I have McAfee and it SHOULD be doing active scans. Usually if a virus comes my way it tells me...

I'm not sure if this was 'mysterious' but I got a PM a few days ago from a new member asking to visit their blog. they gave me a link to it but I didn't click on it. Still, I learnt my lesson from that time those people came to the forums.... <_<

Stephanie, I received that one too... and took care of it.

Honestly, when you get a PM from somebody you don't know and have never hear from, be careful.

What is a Cookie? And a Cookie Graber?

I clicked on the blog one... I don't think there is anything wrong with my computer though *touchwood*

Oh non! That is very bad. I am glad I haven't gotten any suspicious mail recently!

What is a Cookie? And a Cookie Graber?

I clicked on the blog one... I don't think there is anything wrong with my computer though *touchwood*

A cookie is a small file that is stored by your browser when you visit a website. They're pulled when you revisit the site, and for sites with accounts (like Neo) they hold your password and username. Usually, cookies can only be "read" by the site that creates them.

Cookie grabbers take these files and can read your username/password out of them if you click onto a site with one. Browsers like Firefox ans Safari are marginally safer than Internet Explorer because cookies can only be grabbed in those if the CG'er itself is on the site the cookie orginates from... so your Neo cookies could only be read by a grabber that is actually on Neopets somewhere.

However, its still a good idea not to click links from people you do not know. Cookie grabbers are only one of the things that could be waiting for you :(

Someone feel free to correct me on any of this, I only vaguely understand it myself xD

So what happens if you delete the cookies? I really don't understand that bit...

Websites use cookies to store information on your computer. If you're logged in to Neopets, a cookie is used to inform the Neopets site that you are logged in whenever you load a page. So if you delete your cookies, you're effectively logging yourself out. In fact, when you click the 'Logout' link, the Neopets site simply tells your browser to delete the 'neologin' cookie. :yes: Neopets also uses cookies to remember your language preferences and some other trivial information for the site.

I think there should be a rule that says you have to have x posts before you can PM someone, preventing people from just making accounts and sending PMs like these.

Not sure if that is possible, but Ian should definitely look at it.

There were also cases of aged and known accounts being taken by malicious people and used to post on the forums. Just be sceptical of everything you see...