Mysterious Messages Being Sent

Ian

A cookie is a small file that is stored by your browser when you visit a website. They're pulled when you revisit the site, and for sites with accounts (like Neo) they hold your password and username. Usually, cookies can only be "read" by the site that creates them.

Cookie grabbers take these files and can read your username/password out of them if you click onto a site with one. Browsers like Firefox ans Safari are marginally safer than Internet Explorer because cookies can only be grabbed in those if the CG'er itself is on the site the cookie orginates from... so your Neo cookies could only be read by a grabber that is actually on Neopets somewhere.

However, its still a good idea not to click links from people you do not know. Cookie grabbers are only one of the things that could be waiting for you :(

Someone feel free to correct me on any of this, I only vaguely understand it myself xD

Just to add a little more if anyone is interested.

Cookies are widely used on the Internet and are used for all sorts of things. Commoly as Isabel says they are mainly used for simple things like capturing your login and saving you the trouble of logging in again each time you visit a website. The trouble is this can be intercepted, so you must be very careful when visiting strange sites. As it is highly unlikely a complete stranger will ever send you a link to a webpage just to be helpful my advise would be to ignore any links you get and erport them to the admins right away.

Firefox, Safari and Chrome (Google's new browser) are a little more secure than Internet Explorer but there are ways to grab cookies from these browsers. It is way more difficult but do not drop your guard becuase you are using them. Always be careful and if in doubt don't click the link!

I'm wondering if the hacking for the messages happened before the hack. I was a member when TDN got hacked, but I haven't received any of these mysterious messages. I think they might just be separate events that coincidentally occurred at the same time...

Something to think about.

I was thinking that now since TDN is known as the #1 Neopets Help site, people may try to target it more. I mean, if it's the #1 site, then a lot of people visit it, which means that it's a good place to find a lot of people to fall for scams and stuff.

I like to think that now the message has gotten out, people are sensible enough to avoid these links like the plague, we all know how to use the internet, we have seen things like this happen on Neopets, so we should be aware that these things do occur and be able to take the necessary steps to protect our accounts.

I'm currently looking into ways to make it so you have to have x posts in order to PM somebody. I also want to put a pre-warning page when you click an off-site link here @ TDNF too.

I will keep you updated. Our new authentication system has been put in place and as far as I can see the site is secure. Thanks for staying safe with us!

With the cookies, what ones are they taking with these messages? When you click the link what cookies can they grab?

This will depend on the cookie grabber they are using. It could be just yout TDN cookie with its login information or the same for Neopets. But it could in theory be any and every cookie you have on your PC.

I got one from lavagrrrrl...

Something about a blog. I didn't click so I don't know if it was sketch or not...but there you go.

I have a PM from lavagrrrrl, too. I got it within the last week, but since it was from someone I don't know about something I didn't care about I haven't read it until now when I saw your bulletin.

How exactly do we report a message like that? I can't see a report-button anywhere when I read the message o_O

Is it possible to make a 'no PM'ing until 5 or more posts written' lock? That will keep scammers away, they never write any posts - unless the scam is a link in a post =)

Is it possible to make a 'no PM'ing until 5 or more posts written' lock? That will keep scammers away, they never write any posts - unless the scam is a link in a post =)

Yeah I mentioned that earlier, and Ian said he'd look into it.

I'm thinking there ought to be more than just 5 posts. It isn't that hard to get 5 posts.

Maybe have it tiered, so like if you have <10 posts, you can only send 1 PM a week. Then when you have 10-50 posts, you can send 5 PMs a week, or something like that. That will limit how much spam those people can send.

• 2 months later...

They are called pishing accounts

When you click on the link it takes you to a page that looks just like neopets but it's not. When you submit your login info and hit submit your infomation goes to their email.

If you do this and realize what you did the your best shot is to change your password as soon as possible.

and remember, check the URL

make sure that you are in www.neopets.com

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Anime) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Do not post on topics that have been inactive for more than 3 weeks.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Anime if you have any questions regarding this action.