MASTERY OF THE ARTS

Crusher

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, you started explaining it to me then just left... WTF?

Well I guess I should try this at least.

How do I sign up, is there a form?

XD Heh, don't worry. Stay in the game, play effectively with your teammates, and you'll get more experienced rapidly. :yes:

Me and Cameron will endeavour to balance the two sides by the way - there shouldn't be any serious bias in this contest.

Well, Cameron's the actual game designer, I'm just the storyline guy. :P An explanation of the new battle system will be up as soon as I can get the diagrams drawn.

Edit: I have finished up some diagrams, so now I'll just explain how the battle system will work. But first, I need to introduce you to my assistant who will be helping me with the demonstration. Meet Bob.

Diagram1.png

As you can see from the diagram, Bob is represented by an icon on a grid (excuse the crappy drawing, but I couldn't be bothered to find another image). Each row on the grid is represented by a letter, and each column on the grid is represented by a number, so each square on the grid can have a letter and a number to indicate its position. Bob's current position is C5.

You can also see from the diagram that Bob's icon has some text on it (it's a bit hard to read, sorry): '50/50' indicates that Bob has all 50 of his health points (or HP), and 'BOB' is obviously his name. Got that? Good. Now on to the next part.

The new combat system will be effectively turn-based. Each character may take one action per turn. On the first turn of a battle, all the players will move, and on the next turn, they will all attack (or use skills), then move again, then attack/use skills again, continuing until one of the sides wins the battle. The reason for the alternating move turns and attack/skill turns is to eliminate confusing actions (eg., attacking somebody who has already moved out of range).

So, since this is the first turn of the 'battle', Bob must move (or do nothing at all). Now, let's assume Bob has a speed of 3. That means that he can move a maximum of 3 squares on this turn. He can move 1 square up, down, left or right, and then another square up, down, left or right, and then a third square up, down, left or right. Moving diagonally requires him to move one square up/down, then another square left/right. The diagram below shows all the squares on the grid he can move to. Note that if Bob was attacking somebody using a skill with a range of 3, then the marked squares would also be the squares he could target with the skill.

Diagram2.png

Bob has decided to move from square C5 to square C8.

Diagram3.png

Now, the next turn in the battle is an attack turn, but since there is nothing to attack, Bob will just do nothing. Wait! Bob's evil twin has suddenly appeared and is attacking him! Oh no!

Diagram4.png

There are a few more things to note on the diagram. You can see that Bob's evil twin has attacked him with a skill called Red Arrow of Doom!!! I have placed a (lousy) graphic to depict the skill, and just above the graphic the skill's name is shown. Below the graphic there is a small 'X3'. This text means that Evil Bob has attacked Bob with the skill 3 times - ouch!

You may be wondering how you can attack somebody multiple times in a single attack turn. I will explain this now. One of the stats that each character will have is called skill. Each skill you use will have a certain requirement in terms of the skill stat. For example, Red Arrow of Doom!!! might have a skill requirement of 2 points, and Evil Bob might have 6 points of skill. For each Red Arrow of Doom!!!, 2 points of skill will be needed, and therefore he can only use Red Arrow of Doom!!! 3 times, which is a good thing for Bob. You use any number of skills on any number of targets in one attack turn, as long as your total skill requirement for that turn does not exceed your skill stat.

You can see that there is a red '-12' beside Bob's HP indicator - this shows that Evil Bob's attack has damaged him 12 health points (the attack of Evil Bob's skill is 10, and Bob's defence is 6, so each hit from Red Arrow of Doom!!! lost Bob 4 HP). If you look closely, you can see that the HP indicator still shows 50/50 - that was a mistake I made, it should actually show Bob's updated HP which is 38/50.

So in the next move both Bob and his evil twin will move again, and in the move after that they will attack each other, and so on until one of them wins.

This is just the initial idea for the combat system. The final combat system will have a larger grid (with all the players on it), better graphics, and non-player units. In conclusion: coordinating tactically with the rest of your team will be of prime importance here. You are not playing for your own gain, but to help your team to victory. Good luck!

Hooray for the new combat system! Any idea when this will start officially? (when we start doing stuff I mean)

As a side note, AA and Cameron are doing a great job thus far and I applaud them on their efforts :D

*Listens to applause* Well it is fun writing the storyline. :D

The contest will start when all the players have picked their sides I guess.

Well, Cameron's the actual game designer, I'm just the storyline guy. :P

What?! Now you're just being modest. You do just as much work on the design as I do. *joins in applause*

=Cameron=

You are both doing great work!

Also, Cameron maybe it's time for you to change the link in your signature as this is the MoTA thread now...

I'm a magician!!!! :cowboy:

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Xepha) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Post less than 7 words.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

I tried, but the links keep screwing up in Firefox. If any staff member would change it, I would appreciate it ;). Thanks to Dawnie and Hamlads for joining a side :).

=Cameron=

Well it would be relatively easy to balance things out now at least: just make each warrior a match for 2 mages. :P Though it would be much better if we could just have mages to warriors with a 1 to 1 ratio...

@Cameron: Exactly what kind of problem are you having with the links?