MASTERY OF THE ARTS

Crusher

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm... you can't heal yourself with ToL, so I'm guessing we'll see mages running around in pairs.

This is just speculation, but I think Fatal Thrust will be really popular with the warriors. :yes:

Cameron and I will have to do a lot of informed guessing as well - as I mentioned earlier, some last minute balancing might appear in many of the battles.

Thanks Theo, they're there now. Oh noes, Doc has joined the dark side. Come back to DOOM, we've got cookies =3. *shifty eyes* Hopefuly weapon release will be soon.

Just Revenge and Rosyfinch to goo now! C'mon guys (and gals) ;P.

=Cameron=

Light side, dark side... reminds me of something coming up in the story. *cough* :shiftyeyes_anim:

Oddly enough, AA3 is helping to run the contest but he hasn't made a single post in this topic yet...

By the way, we have received a few complaints concerning the skills. It seems that some people think that the mage attack skills are too weak - in my opinion, however, these complaints neglect the fact that a mage can move into range, shoot a warrior from 10 squares away, and then outrun the warrior on the retreat (although Beserking Charge negates this advantage).

Warrior skills are exceptionally strong in terms of attack because they have won't get that many chances to have a mage in their sights. However, if a group of warriors were well coordinated enough, they could, in theory, use variations of a pincer movement or effectively 'bait' a trap in order to take out a mage or two. (See? I'm giving everybody tactical hints already. :P )

Sorry but I still think it's unbalanced... and I'll keep to think so until I get proof of the contrary. Blue moon deal less than 1 damage point... Sure, you can attack from very far, but it would take about 23587235983274742 turns to kill a warrior with that.

However, a warrior can kill us in like 3-4 turn, not mentioning if you have more than 1 after you.

I did all the right calculations the other night and I don't feel like doing them again as I just woke up.

Though V.

The warriors are based on Power, (and we have 1 less member than the mages :P)

While the mages are based on Speed and Skill.

I can see that the warriors can deal more damage, But the mages have all the healing spells, ranged attacks and even Flowing Energies (which is the most powerful skill from both parties).

the 2 teams both have their advantage and disadvantage, though the members just have to work together with all abilities and overcome the disadvantages.

For example, we can hit hard, but the warriors cannot heal, while the mages hit less, though they can heal (meaning more turns etc)

Also V, I have learnt something how the ATK is in your favor.

Lets look at the skill points

Warriors: 5

Mages: 10

Now the skills:

Blue Moon, Does 1 Damage and Costs 3 skill points.

fatal thrust: Does 3-4 Damage buts costs 5 Skills points.

Warriors can use Fatal thrust once per battle phrase = Total 3 damage

mages can use Blue moon 3 times per balle phrase = Total 3 damage.

So Warriors has a hard hitting move, BUT Mages have a week move but can use that move more times. Thus making it equal.

Plus now tha ATK is equal, the mages could have 2-3 mages for healing, which makes the Mages hit more.

Okay, let's take you and me as example.

Stats are the following

' XEPHA ' a.k.a. Nercika (2 mp spent)

Blue Moon

Tendrils Of Life

Basic Attack

ATTACK: 11

DEFENSE: 7

SPEED: 7

SKILL: 10

HP: 45/45

*PAUL* a.k.a. Fudge

Rending Slash

Beserking Charge

Basic Attack

ATTACK: 12

DEFENSE: 8

SPEED: 5

SKILL: 5

HP: 51/51

I cast blue moon on you.

11 X .8 = 8.8

8.8 - 8 (your defense) = .8

I can do it 3 times because I've enough skill points, so I can deal 2.4 damage to you, woot!

Now, let's say that you are close enough to hit me, which I hope won't happen.

You cast

12 X 1.5 = 18

18 - 7 (my defense) = 11

You can do it once to me because of your skill points

2.4 damage compared to 11... where is it fair?

But if you take into account how many spaces away you can do this, while we have to get up close to use most of our attacks, it adds up.

Say your 10 spaces away from Paul. On the attack turn, you can do your 2.4 damage, but Paul wouldn't be able to get near enough to fight back. Then, on the movement turn, Paul tries to get close enough to attack you, yet, with you having more speed, you can keep yourself out of his range, and on the next attack turn keep pelting your far-range attacks with Paul not being able to do anything to you about it.

No, the thing that will effect the outcome is a good strategy. The two teams were made to create different strategies for their team members. If the warriors find a strategy to out match your range advantage, that's great, but will it stand up to your team's strategy?

So this is a really cool game, thanks to those who made it!

It is going to be played here - I'll probably end up wasting the time I'm supposed to be using for my assignments doing the graphics for the maps. XD

And it's nice to see that the calculations are being played around with already. :P

It's going to be played here. It really is great to see you guys already getting into strategy and number crunching at such an early stage. Hope you guys enjoy it when we start the fight! ;D The map will be very open-spaced, so Mages shouldn't have too much trouble escaping. Both sides will need to work together to achieve a victory. Also, remember that decimals are rounded individually. 0.8 gets rounded to 1, so we would end up with 11 to 3 in your example. Thanks for the compliments Revenge!

=Cameron=

I guess it was a good example to show how things will work.

Took me over 15min to grab all the details (I had 3 forums window opened) and do the calculations!

It will be fun anyway ;p