Last to post wins!

Parshy

Neomysterion replies to the above post with a Kamehameha Wave.

Kamehameha.jpg

So, I've been testing out the differences between Debian and CentOS (RedHat Enterprise Linux clone), and I've increasingly decided that I do NOT like RedHat. Everything is just so much EASIER in Debian, and the defaults they choose are much more sane. Also, they seem to have a larger supply of packages available, so I definitely count that as a plus. This is all for servers, of course... Neither distribution would be any good as a desktop operating system. Instead, you'd want to use Ubuntu or Fedora... Especially Ubuntu, as it's geared toward desktop use - as opposed to Fedora, which is sorta a testing ground for RedHat, which makes it less stable and sorta oriented toward programmers and techies. At any rate, Debian seems to have Apache and MySQL set up more securely from the start - on CentOS/RedHat, the default is to have NO ROOT PASSWORD on MySQL, for example. This means ANYONE can have full, 100% access to EVERY MySQL database ON THE SYSTEM. Without even TRYING to guess your password! Debian, on the other hand, forces you to enter a password when you install MySQL - therefor preventing you from leaving your front door wide open with a neon sign saying "HACK ME!!!". Similarly for Apache, CentOS uses very raw, bare-bones defaults... Basically, you have one website set up for the server, and it makes you have to know a TON to set up another one. You have to configure everything yourself - often causing you to miss some security steps in setting up virtual hosts. In Debian, it has a few scripts to enable/disable virtual hosts, and to create a new one you just have to duplicate a file, and edit it. All the security work is done for you, you just have to edit a couple lines and run a couple commands, and you're up and running. CentOS also calls Apache "httpd" still, which is inaccurate since there are other "HyperText Transfer Protocol Daemons" that are available - not just Apache. In Debian, it's actually called "Apache2", as that's the true name for the current version of the Apache web server.

Blender's new Cycles renderer is AMAZING. It's obscenely fast, and produces absolutely perfect results - something I wish more programs could do. It's a path tracer - meaning that for each pixel, a large number of physical photons are traced from the camera to a light source. Under most circumstances, this would be horrendously slow... Many "unbiased" path-tracers such as LuxRender, Indigo, and the like, often take hours to render even a very simple scene, at low resolution... And yet it'd still be grainy. So far, with my tests, Cycles has performed EXCEEDINGLY fast. It was able to render a full-screen (for me, 1680x1050), high-poly scene in only a few hours. With even simpler scenes, at that resolution, it'd take several days in the other mentioned renderers.

A friend of mine and I have started to use Git as a source code sharing/forking utility, and he's set up a Git server on his system. It seems to work really well, and he's set it up to use SSH encryption - since we've both uploaded our SSH public keys, and disabled password authentication, we've now got a secure and easy way to work on a programming project together.