Obelisk War Fighting Game?

Aimee

So it's been all these years since the initial fight over the Obelisk and every month we continue fighting for boons, and sometimes it feels like this plot thread has been pretty much abandoned! But if the Neopets team were to make a console/app fighting game for the Obelisk War, I wonder what sort of plotline it might have? Would it cover the events of the first wave, since we know how that ends, or would it actually show what the Sway is going to do with the Obelisk? What do you all think? 

And as far as gameplay, what sort of game(s) do you think it'd be cool for it to be like? I know there's "Thems Fightin Herds" that was inspired by My Little Pony, and that has a sort of Street Fighter-esque fighting style, but what do you all think? Would it be cooler to make it top-down, like League of Legends, or would you want to play something differently? 

(For context I don't work for a game development company but I'm super curious what y'alls thoughts would be!)

lol Mortal Kombat style voice-overs! "Finish him!"

Kidding. 😉  Hiya Aimee, that's an interesting idea!

Regarding the Obelisk War, when there isn't a poll posted in this forum, well even when there is. I still look at the predictions on this petpage.
http://www.neopets.com/~Oxbridge786

My guild is a shadow of it's former size. But I try to keep what couple of us are left informed on things like this, and when events come out and such. Too bad I'm notoriously BAD at checking/catching the site-news on Neopets itself. lol

It's probably in the forums somewhere here, but when the Obelisk War was on-going and in the aftermath, I kind of figured it would be kinda like a guild-ranked battle in some of those MMO games that were popular at the time. It kind of turned out to be right, only instead of a guild we just pick a faction. I've gone against the predictions/polls sometimes. If they are close (polls and predictions). I tend to favor Seekers and Sway if one of them is in the rotation, for their boons. 😉

Anyway, as for an ACTIVE game, of the ones you've mentioned I only know Street-fighter. It would be interesting, but that would have to be real-time. And might be bottable... Dunno but it seems like bots can be in almost ANY game. Even MMOs, which really surprised me when I heard about that! But yeah, what I'm thinking would be like, a bi-weekly game unlocking like Yooyuball does for the AC. Only in the game TNT would have, there'd be a battle-theme of course, then at the end of the 4 or so days of "battle", the winner would be determined like usual. There would still be the 3 or so days to pick a faction of course. And the boons could still last the solid week following the skirmishes like they do currently.

Since you are a talented artist, you could try mocking up some of your ideas and hey, maybe even pitching them to TNT? That would be cool. 😉 Like, you described 3 different game styles. Maybe those would be 3 different options/mini-games to participate in to contribute to the faction that people choose to join for the skirmishes? I think that it would have more appeal if there was more variety to the process. 😉 It might even help with pitching to TNT, pique their interest more. 😉

LOL I've had some ideas forEVER for a Neoquest III. But, I don't think they accept game concepts/ideas/stories from regular users. lol That being said, it would be fun to design some of the maps, though tedious to do ALL of them myself. 😉

Not like I'd want much for it. lol I mean IF it was a possibility, I'd love a full set of the InSaNe prizes that I could keep for my gallery. XD They could even be "no trade". though equippable if they were weapons, would be nice. 😉 (Since we're talking pipe-dreams here. lol)

I'd have to dig through my memory to try and remember more of the story I thought up, (as it's been over a decade that I thought it up lol). But it would kind of continue from the end of NQ2, though it would start out with a new character and story/goal in the first chapter. Then interaction with NQ2 characters would happen. That idea is not set in stone as far as when the NQ2 characters would come into the game. I've got a couple alternative ideas as well. The Chapter 1 plot is pretty much solid in my mind though. Character species/idea and goal at least.

I wish I could develop games. But coding is WAY over my head. lol I used to draw maps and monsters for my own game ideas (various genres). lol Haven't done that in a long time though. ^^; Of course I haven't had much inspiration lately for new game ideas or how to expand on old ones either. lol ^^;

I'm curious to see what others think of your interesting idea! 🙂

• 1 year later...
On 4/25/2022 at 11:16 PM, Aimee said:

So it's been all these years since the initial fight over the Obelisk and every month we continue fighting for boons, and sometimes it feels like this plot thread has been pretty much abandoned! But if the Neopets team were to make a console/app fighting game for the Obelisk War, I wonder what sort of plotline it might have? Would it cover the events of the first wave, since we know how that ends, or would it actually show what the Sway is going to do with the Obelisk? What do you all think? 

And as far as gameplay, what sort of game(s) do you think it'd be cool for it to be like? I know there's "Thems Fightin Herds" that was inspired by My Little Pony, and that has a sort of Street Fighter-esque fighting style, but what do you all think? Would it be cooler to make it top-down, like League of Legends, or would you want to play something differently? If you have no desire to play these games, a website that provides a large collection of gambling games will be your salvation. 

(For context I don't work for a game development company but I'm super curious what y'alls thoughts would be!)

For the plotline, it would be interesting to explore both aspects you've mentioned. The game could start with the events of the first wave, providing players with a bit of backstory and context. This could also serve as the tutorial phase of the game, where players get familiar with the controls and mechanics.