Thanks, strata!

berriganify

So a couple weeks ago, our strata decided to spray around the outside of our complex for ants. No one I know has had any complaints about ants, but okay. They're being proactive. Cool. So pest control came around and did the spraying. Sure enough, the ants left...

...and went straight into our apartment! Now I've got a couple hundred ants milling around my bathroom sink. Right around swarming season. Cool. Thanks, strata. I mean, I used to live in a basement, where ants are just kind of a package deal, but are also kind of exactly the reason why I stopped living in a basement. I'm mostly just annoyed that strata decided to try and solve a problem that didn't exist, and in doing so, created that very problem.

Anyway, already sprayed some raid to keep them at bay and emailed them about it so we'll see what happens. I just want this to be over with before they swarm. That's a mess I don't want to clean up.

Just wanted to vent. Go ahead and share your landlord/strata/etc horror grievances.

Oh man >.< Are they now going to come and deal with the invasion? And, out of interest, what does strata mean? I'd not heard this term before. 😮

I'm on the first floor (that's the second floor for a lot of countries) so ants would need to be super-determined to come visit me. Plus there's a bakery downstairs so I'd say it's either:

• a.) why make the effort of climbing the walls when there's all this stuff on the ground floor, or
  • b.) there are no ants because the shop's  cleaning standards and pest control keeps them away.

As a small island I think the UK manages to avoid a whole lot of insect issues that are prevalent on large continents, for this I am enternally grateful ^o^

Also, what do you call the ground/first floor in Canada?

My landlord's super-typical of the breed, it took him over a year to fix some damp once, by which time it had gone from being the size of a biscuit to creating a map of the world of the wall. xD

9 hours ago, jellysundae said:

Oh man >.< Are they now going to come and deal with the invasion? And, out of interest, what does strata mean? I'd not heard this term before. 😮

I'm on the first floor (that's the second floor for a lot of countries) so ants would need to be super-determined to come visit me. Plus there's a bakery downstairs so I'd say it's either:

• a.) why make the effort of climbing the walls when there's all this stuff on the ground floor, or
  • b.) there are no ants because the shop's  cleaning standards and pest control keeps them away.

As a small island I think the UK manages to avoid a whole lot of insect issues that are prevalent on large continents, for this I am enternally grateful ^o^

Also, what do you call the ground/first floor in Canada?

My landlord's super-typical of the breed, it took him over a year to fix some damp once, by which time it had gone from being the size of a biscuit to creating a map of the world of the wall. xD

a strata is a group that looks after condos (here, at least, people own their condo units, but the land that the condos are built upon is owned collectively by everyone in the building, and managed by a strata company, for which everyone pays a fee based on the sq meterage of their units). they're kind like landlords, i guess, although they mostly only care about the outside of the building and the building as a whole, not the individual units. so like, an electrical problem inside our unit is on me to fix, not them. but a problem with the streetlamps outside is handled by them.

oh and a higher floor apartment is the dream! especially because past like the 8th floor or so, there's no flying insects, either! not sure i would want to lived about a bakery, though. at that point i would be more worried about rats than ants.

we call the ground floor either the ground or the first, but the floor above that is always the second floor (so it either goes ground-second-third or first-second-third). but also like, i played a lot of runescape as a kid, so i was always getting them mixed up when i was younger, because that game was made by a uk company, and all the directions and signs went by ground-first-second.

oh boy, that's not great. problems like that are so much easier to fix when they're small! 😞

On 7/15/2020 at 10:18 PM, berriganify said:

we call the ground floor either the ground or the first, but the floor above that is always the second floor

How delightfully complicated!

Though I wonder if the UK is partly/mostly to blame for this, you guys being part of the Commonwealth. 😅

So this strata business sounds like a thing that, in theory, should work brilliantly, but because it's farmed out to a management company, isn't so much?

Slightly ramndom question but does your building have balconies? If I ruled the world all apartments would have balconies. angrynegg.gifphysical.gif Not mean ones where there's barely room for a minute table and two chairs, either!

yes, probably, and pretty much!

the upper floors here have balconies, although they vary in size from unit to unit. the ground floors have patios. do buildings in the uk not have guaranteed balconies? i don't think ive ever seen an apartment without one 🤔 some of them do get pretty small, though... one of the condos i used to clean had one that was only a metre square.