Rubbish Avatar

kayahtik

rubbish.gif

So I've spent the last week or so trying to get the Rubbish avatar, but I wanted to make sure I'm going about it the right way (one of multiple "right" ways?)

According to the TDN avatar solution, the avatar is "Awarded when discarding some number of items, either all at once or over an extended period of time. Usually around 5000 items."

Does anyone know if it's actually confirmed that the discarding can be over an extended period? TDN is the only place I've seen that indicates that--everything else I've read doesn't really specify, although one actually claims that you have to do it at a certain time of day! I read through this old thread on TDN, but it wasn't very specific either, and hasn't been updated in a few years. 

So, to sum up, from what I can tell, we still don't have a confirmed, 100% sure solution for it?

I've been snatching up every Rotten Left Shoe I can find, but ~5000 items is a lot to gather, and I really don't have the patience (or time, really) to first collect them all and then discard them all at once. I've been discarding a few hundred items each day as I get them, and am probably up around 1000 right now, but I just wanted to check and see if anyone has any additional information before I waste time and nps discarding several thousand more items.

There is no confirmed solution as of yet. Only suggestions from what has worked for others.

Theoretically it can be done over an extended period, but I'm not sure how MUCH of an extended period.

I collected and threw everything at once, and did use the miaou5 guide that suggests to discard between 12-1 NST. It took me ~3000 items to get the avatar. And honestly, it doesn't take a whole huge amount of time to discard things all at once. Just shove things in your SDB, then when you have enough, remove a couple hundred or so at a time and use Quick Stock to discard (QS only allows you to discard 70 at a time).

Get 10 pieces of junk per day from the Money Tree, go fishing with all your pets, get the Shiny Obsidian (http://www.neopets.com/magma/quarry.phtml)... Other dailies give junk as well. If you're really impatient, find a shop with a lot of 1-2 NP junk items and buy a couple thousand.

Best of luck in getting the avatar!

There is no confirmed solution as of yet. Only suggestions from what has worked for others.

Theoretically it can be done over an extended period, but I'm not sure how MUCH of an extended period.

I collected and threw everything at once, and did use the miaou5 guide that suggests to discard between 12-1 NST. It took me ~3000 items to get the avatar. And honestly, it doesn't take a whole huge amount of time to discard things all at once. Just shove things in your SDB, then when you have enough, remove a couple hundred or so at a time and use Quick Stock to discard (QS only allows you to discard 70 at a time).

Get 10 pieces of junk per day from the Money Tree, go fishing with all your pets, get the Shiny Obsidian (http://www.neopets.com/magma/quarry.phtml)... Other dailies give junk as well. If you're really impatient, find a shop with a lot of 1-2 NP junk items and buy a couple thousand.

Best of luck in getting the avatar!

That's exactly what I have been doing--the problem is that I have a lot of valuable things in my SDB too, and all the junk is cluttering things up. It takes me ages to sort through everything to see what's ok to discard and what isn't, and I only have 2k items in there right now--I can't imagine what to do with up to 5k! The only other solution I can think of is to only buy certain items to discard so that I know for sure they're safe to get rid of, but that'll take even longer to accumulate since it's so limited... 

I'm going to try what Wildbreeze said. I've been discarding various items from dailies for about a year hoping they would eventually add up... guess it was all for naught lol

I guess it's probably not possible with 2k items, but my shop has become a secondary SDB for me to keep things organized. Good luck, hope I can get the avatar as well now.

I'm going to try what Wildbreeze said. I've been discarding various items from dailies for about a year hoping they would eventually add up... guess it was all for naught lol

I guess it's probably not possible with 2k items, but my shop has become a secondary SDB for me to keep things organized. Good luck, hope I can get the avatar as well now.

Good luck to you as well! I think what I'm going to do is make a list of 10-15 different items and collect ONLY those items. It might take longer, but oh well...I guess I don't have much reason to be in any hurry. 

I actually did mine over a couple years. I never mass discarded anything. Just discarded whatever I didn't want from dailies each day. I ended up getting the avatar, but I have no concept of how many items it took or what time I discarded. It was just awarded to me when I was doing my normal daily discards.

I'm only discarding items that won't sell in my shop and hearding one junk item in my sdb. Eventually, when I have a couple thousands, I'll discard the junk item and get that avatar.

I actually did mine over a couple years. I never mass discarded anything. Just discarded whatever I didn't want from dailies each day. I ended up getting the avatar, but I have no concept of how many items it took or what time I discarded. It was just awarded to me when I was doing my normal daily discards.

Good to know that the little bits I've been discarding over the past week will count for something. From what I've read, people seem to think there's a correlation between the period of time you spend discarding and the amount you have to discard to get the avatar (i.e.; fewer items if you discard all at once, more items if over an extended period). I guess I'll get there eventually!

Good luck to you as well! I think what I'm going to do is make a list of 10-15 different items and collect ONLY those items. It might take longer, but oh well...I guess I don't have much reason to be in any hurry. 

This is probably the best idea. I had to sift through my SDB, and while most of it was junk, I'm certain I probably threw away some things that were at least a little valuable. Like I said before, though, if you find a shop with hundreds of the same junk item for cheap, that can be helpful.