When is using an external program cheating?

u66

If I write an external program that calculates moves to make in Destruct-O-Match III is it cheating to use that while playing? I was interested to see that using an anagram-finder program is not cheating for anagram games, so I wondered about this.

(I tried looking it up but only found specific reference to a plot in which external programs were not allowed.)

Yessir, I would say they'd classify that as cheating and you risk being frozen. Anything that gives you an unfair advantage, especially if it's a program doing it for you, isn't going to be allowed.

In terms of the anagram finder, I don't think it's entirely welcomed or supported by Neopets and that wouldn't be something I'd mention on the site.

I don't particularly appreciate people using anagram finders on games such Eliv Thade.  I worked my butt off just to get the avatar and have been trying and trying to get a trophy for that game to no avail.  I will not stoop so low as to use an external advantage, although nobody would know otherwise (except ME).  I wouldn't feel as though I earned it.  I see user look ups with so many trophies that it is beyond obvious they are using some sort of nefarious methods ;) I don't care what they, or anyone else, says.  If they are proud of those trophies, good for them.  I however wish to EARN mine.  Thanks for the GREAT answer hrtbrk!!!!!!!

From Neopets Terms and Conditions, under section B1: "You agree that you will not, under any circumstances: (a) in whole or in part, translate, reverse engineer, derive source code from, modify, disassemble, decompile or create derivative works based upon Neopets or any game contained therein; (b.)  use cheats, automation software, hacks, or any unauthorized third party software to modify Neopets, any activity or game within the Neopets or to change any designed game play; (c.) use the functionality of Neopets for transferring any in-game currency, item, avatar or account to another user in exchange for payment outside Neopets; or (d) perform any in-game services or activity on another user's account in exchange for payment outside Neopets (e.g., obtaining trophies for other users."

As this falls under the "if it's illegal on Neopets, it's illegal here" heading, I'm declaring this topic finished.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Songbirdsara).
The original topic is now answered and will be closed.
Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this topic.
Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Songbirdsara if you have any questions regarding this action.