Best computers for writers?

Hugo_Renfield

My boyfriend needs a new computer, and we're not sure what to get. He's a writer and a student, he likes to watch movies on it, and he travels often. His main criteria is:

• Not a Mac
  • On the smaller side (his current one is 15 inches and it's too big)
  • Longer battery life (like 6+ hours)
  • Good built-in web cam
  • Good speakers

Thanks for any input! 

First off I would recommend a Macbook Air, but your boyfriend doesn't want Mac.

I'd maybe suggest looking into the Microsoft Surface as they're lightweight and are like a notebook and tablet in one. I don't know much about these, as I'm a Mac user, but it might give you a starting point. You can also try asking around at different computer places for advice and opinions. Try to avoid places that work on commission as they'll tend to oversell the product and it may not be the best fit for your boyfriend. Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving in the U.S. and Christmas you should be able to get a deal on something. :)

I've had a Macbook Pro for the last 6 years (through college) and I've liked it very much. I grew up with PCs at home and Macs at school so I like to think I have a fairly good understanding of them both. Even though I love my Mac and it was recommended because of needing certain art programs (photoshop and the like), I planning to get a Microsoft Surface or Surface Book as my next laptop/tablet. The Surface 4 (which came out recently) has a ridiculously long battery life. At this point, it's probably safe to say I'm a Microsoft fangirl... Anyway, I'd highly suggest looking into it. As Mouseykins said, look around and research. Deals for Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving day in US) and Christmas are usually pretty good but there are usually deals around the time for school to start up. I got a college deal on my laptop when I got it. Best of luck!

you can also look into refurbished computers, I just looked up microsoft PCs and they have a refurbished site. I bought a refurb'd mac, and it has worked solidly for 4 years (just last week I finally had to replace HDD and battery). There are usually discounts for students too.
Size-wise, as someone who watches loads of TV on my comp and occasionally tries to write, I wouldn't go less than 11 inches. I currently have 13, and that's good too.

I always recommend Acer laptops. As someone who needs something compact enough for moving around but still have enough functionality for lounging around, I've found Acer to have very reliable laptops. My old one lasted me 8 years before its final breaths. The current one I'm using has been with me for 3 years and is not showing any signs of slowing down. Also, it's not too heavy on the wallet :) This one cost me roughly $750.

So I'd look at 13" (small enough to carry around, but big enough to see things clearly) Acer Aspire laptops.

I use a lenovo right now; those can be on the cheap end, but make sure you check into the specs for it. Asus & Acer are also good brands as well.

The smallest I've had is 13" and it's good, but my lenovo is 15" right now and it's actually light weight, but again, it has an external DVD drive, not an internal one (which I hate)