desperate for computer/printer help...

I have been trying to print my project for weeks and I still do not know what is wrong with it. And I have looked everywhere... so maybe someone here has a solution?
I updated to Windows10 recently, and ever since, my computer won't print. It says "Could not start printer. Please check your printer configuration" 
I use OpenOffice, which is basically free Microsoft Word (but I don't think that's the issue because I've never had an issue with it)
I've reinstalled the printer, I've updated drivers, and I'm the only one who can't print in my house. 
Feel free to ask questions and please help if you can. 

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie).
This topic was posted in the wrong area.
Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this topic.
Per the reason above, this topic has been MOVED from 'General Chat' to 'Computers & Programming'.

well for starters, what type of printer do you have?

I know from experience that HP can be temperamental. Is it just your computer having problems? (I'm assuming so from the way your post was worded, but you could be using a shared computer.)

If it's just your computer, then I'd try going into the printer settings on your computer and try doing a print test. Also try hardwiring your computer to the printer if you're using wifi, sometimes the connection between devices gets disrupted. If you're able to print the test then I'd try printing from a different program like whatever text program you have installed on your computer.

Has anyone else in your house updated to Windows 10, or are you just the only one? As Mouseykins mentioned, is this a shared printer from someone else's computer, or do you have it connected to your network? Printer make/model would be helpful, again, as Mouseykins mentioned. I know the HP Support site has a pop-up asking if you just updated to Windows 10 and are having printer problems.

I have a HP Photosmart C4700 series printer. My brother, sister, and mom all update to windows 10. I have also printed a test page to align the ink cartridges, but my actual documents won't print. And the test page was printed through a wireless connection. I have also used a USB cord to connect my printer to my computer, and it still doesn't work. I've even tried contacting HP, but apparently my printer isn't supported by them anymore. 

Are they using Open Office, too? If so, see if one of them can print your document, by either placing it on a USB drive, or via a Windows shared folder, or CD-R, etc. Are you running the latest version of Open Office? Latest version is 4.1.1. If not, try installing the latest version and see if you can print. HP Support has the "HP Photosmart C4700 All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Driver". It is dated Jan 6, 2015: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Photosmart-C4700-All-in-One-Printer-series/3794613/model/3831739#Z7_3054ICK0KGTE30AQO5O3KA30R1. Not sure if that is what you installed or not. It is a big download. Might want to try that.

EDIT: Your printer is also listed here, as having Windows 10 support: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04658195. It does mention the "HP full feature driver" as I linked above, as well as "Windows in-OS driver".

It sounds like it's most likely a problem with Open Office not sending the data over to your printer.

HP customer support is pretty much useless regardless if you're under warranty or not. I hope you get the problem figured out. :)

Well nothing has worked. I do appreciate you for your time though. I'll just have to print it in school. Thanks for taking the time to help me out. 

I saw an HP support post by a "sara1713, posted two days ago. I'm guessing you posted that? An HP Support Agent, midnight-anwrs, replied to your post. Hope they are able to get you printing again! Just thought I'd post it here, in case you didn't see that someone replied.