Mobile-Friendly Neopets Companion

techwreck15

Hello!

Since my computer broke yesterday, my only access to Neopets has been through my phone, which unfortunately limits what I can do on the site. However, I've found that a lot of my common activities are actually still available on mobile platforms. Although there is no mobile site, and the site is a bit clunky on mobile devices, the functionality is still there.

Now, because a lot of the site (specifically the maps and games) doesn't play well with mobile devices, I decided to start compiling a list of mobile-friendly pages on the Neopets website. I started this for personal use, but I decided to go ahead and share it since I'm sure I'm not the only person who uses Neopets on a mobile device. It is still highly incomplete, so I decided to give the link-sharing the ability to edit to make this a bit more of a community effort.

If you contribute to the project, be sure to note in the credits who you are and what you've done so everyone can appreciate your contribution!

Here's the link to the project (written in the Google Docs mobile app): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-KMzgIUzmkmuRwlxBUiDdFz_d430t8iN1ddawItFBQU/edit?usp=docslist_api

I will be keeping backups of this project, so if at any time something happens to the original document (my biggest concern is trolls), I will share the backup with link editing turned off.

Neopets is heavily Flash based. Unfortunately, there is no Flash for iOS devices. However, you could try Puffin (web browser). Puffin has "support" for Flash. Puffin "translates" the Flash content on their servers, and then sends that translated content to your device. You can try Puffin for free. However,  the free version may only let you use/try Flash sites/content during the daytime. It may cost for full 24/7 use of Flash. Also, the Puffin servers are located in the US and may be blocked in other countries. Something you could try to see if it is for you.

For Android, depending on what version you have, you can still download the last version of Flash for Android, and "sideload" it. I believe Dolphin (web browser) has went back to supporting Flash with their browser. (They stopped for a while). Dolphin is free. The Android Open Source web browser that used to come with Android, aka "Browser", still supports Flash. It also allows you to change the "user agent", so your phone or tablet shows up as a "desktop" browser. (Some sites will direct you to their "mobile" site, or not display content to mobile devices, as they know if you are a mobile device or not).

Not to distract from your project, which is not my intention, I believe you have a great idea. I've always wondered which "dailies" or Neopet activities I could do without a Flash based device, as I knew many were Flash. Your list will help for Neopets "on the go". Even if you cannot do everything, the ability to do some, is better than nothing, imho.

Thanks for the input!

Neopets is heavily flash-based, but surprisingly almost all of its most popular features are usable, if clunky, without flash. Really the only things that don't work are the flash-based games, the wheels, and the maps - almost everything else works fine without flash.

I've tried Puffin before, but it was pretty awkward to use, and I had to remove it because I don't have enough storage space on my phone (and can't really delete any of my apps). Although a lot of the flash-based content would be really awkward to use on a mobile device, I suppose I should specify that some of the content (specifically, maps and the wheels) would be fairly easy to use. I don't really want to do that until I can confirm that they so work on Android, though, and I can't test that.

The purpose for this project is really to showcase what is capable on Neopets without Flash. What really surprised me when I started working on this is that almost all of the most popular Dailies work perfectly fine without Flash, and I wanted to share that realization. Now, although the title says this is specifically for mobile devices, I should specify that it also helps some computer users as well, since the lag on the site makes some of the flash content slow and virtually unusable, sometimes even with ad blockers active.

That would be great! You can update the file directly if you'd like (the link-sharing allows editing), or you can send me a direct message (here or on Neopets - either is fine) and I'll update it and add your name in the credits. Thanks for helping out!

Hmm...It would be neat, once the list is complete, if TDN could somehow modify the "dailies" icons, to annotate which dailies were "mobile friendly". iOS has a blue "dot" to the left of an updated app, to let you know it has been updated. Or maybe "bold" the names of the dailies or change the text color. That way mobile users could access TDN and get their "mobile friendly" links all in one place. Crazy thought...(more like "Thinking Out Loud", like Ed Sheeran).