Scoring Confusion

Rinielle

Really this is the first year I've taken the cup even close to seriously and actually been involved with checking up on scores aside from just my own... Now at the risk of sounding like a complete idiot. I am getting very confused about how scoring works and what role this plays in your team winning/losing etc.

Firstly, whether number of games, or points gained from games, matter more.

For example is it better to win 100 games of SoSD with 1200 points (point total: 120,000) or win 762 games with 35 points (point total: 26,670)?
And is it the number of YYB games you win or your goal total that's most important?

How are the overall team scores calculated, is it a cumulative total of everyone's game points or rank points or both or something completely different? 

p.s I wasn't sure if this was supposed to go in the AC section or the Help section, but given it's AC related this won out, so I apologise if it's in the wrong place.

This is a great question. I believe the answer is: no one knows. TNT has not told us how team scores are calculated. That means we can't know whether score or number of plays is more important. Some players might have hypotheses, though, and I'd be interested to hear them.

So... no one really knows?

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.
Please keep your posts at 7 words or above.
Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Yeah, I'm fairly certain it's a mystery to the outside world. Before the Bracket tournaments you didn't even really know how "much" teams won over the other teams (see: Kiko Lake's currently huge winning numbers). Like, we don't even really know how close is "close enough" to make teams end up with draws. AC 8 didn't even use draws! So if anything, that means that they've been changing the algorithms they use for point calculations throughout the years.

YYB, of course, matters the most to a team's standing but somehow they have to make it fair to the players that are new and aren't playing as much as the All-Stars. I imagine it involves something where a person that sends a few YYB games with 1 or 2 goals still matters, but someone who maxes out YYB with double-digit goals every time must also positively affect a team's standing. I've also heard that TNT doesn't even include players that eventually never send scores and just want to join the "winning" team so that they don't negatively affect a team. And smaller teams versus powerhouse teams are affected differently by their players somehow but they still have to be able to be compared fairly. There are lots of variables to keep track of, and it seems to work kinda most of the time.

At the end of it all, tl;dr is that it's all just speculation and we'll likely never know.